Postings Or Polls About Wat Chants

rethaired

I would like to have a feel as to how people feel about Wat chants blaring out for hours and hours on end and, if they feel, anything can be done about it (petitions, letters to the local government,...).

Would this violate forum rules? If so, which one?

Thank you.

Not sure about forum rules in this regard, but may I suggest you leave this issue to the local Thai population?

The same goes for the calls for prayer from mosques.

Don't forget we are living in Thailand!

opalhort

Not sure about forum rules in this regard, but may I suggest you leave this issue to the local Thai population?

The same goes for the calls for prayer from mosques.

Don't forget we are living in Thailand!

opalhort

I have heard them for 3 years now, so it is hard to know if the Thai population at large loves it or tolerates it, I suppose. They might even dislike it, but for some reason they are not doing anything about it. One thing is sure, I don't like it and my Thai GF does not either, which is understandable when it takes place in the wee hours of the morning! I doubt all Thais love it! Do you think expats and tourists like it?

Sure, it takes place in Thailand, but is it a redeeming features or Thailand? In our country (and in many countries around the world), people have voted in favour of laws prohibiting people from making noise or disturbing the peace, as it were. But, you are right, Muslims do not seem to care. Does it make it right?

Cultures like languages evolve. Ours does. There are things in my country that people want to change and sometimes that takes place. Let's hope Thais find a solution to this problem, should they feel it is a problem, of course. :)

Edited by rethaired

If your GF does not like it then let her take the lead and mobilise support from other Thais to talk to the temple.

I'm quite sure many Thais, esp. elderly people, are actually quite happy to hear the early morning sermons.

If you've heard them for 3 years then by now you should be able to tune them out and not let them disturb your sleep anymore.

We have a mosque near our home and I just do not "hear" their calls to prayer anymore.

What would you think if an Asian person living in Europe starts complaining that the ringing of church bells early Sunday morning disturbs his/her sleep?

Leave religious (and royal) issues to the Thai population!

opalhort

If your GF does not like it then let her take the lead and mobilise support from other Thais to talk to the temple.

I'm quite sure many Thais, esp. elderly people, are actually quite happy to hear the early morning sermons.

If you've heard them for 3 years then by now you should be able to tune them out and not let them disturb your sleep anymore.

We have a mosque near our home and I just do not "hear" their calls to prayer anymore.

What would you think if an Asian person living in Europe starts complaining that the ringing of church bells early Sunday morning disturbs his/her sleep?

Leave religious (and royal) issues to the Thai population!

opalhort

Royal issue? Where have I talk about the king? Where?

Why are you trying to make the link? To shut me up? This is not acceptable!

Religious issue? This is not about religion. Where have I made disparaging comments about any religion here? Where?

Why are you trying to make the link? To shut me up? This is NOT acceptable!

Good try though! :)

This issue is about noise. It is about the freedom of people to live in quiet and peaceful environments. And, personally, why should I be FORCED to listen to someone if I don't want to? Why should anyone be forced to? How would you feel if I started blaring out some music over my loud speakers in your direction at 3 a.m.? And,what about soliloquies about how I feel about thoughts' control? And, while we are at it, let's allow all people to do so and at any time in the day. This is about noise, about the respect for others privacy and their freedom of beliefs, while we are at it.

But, this is foremost about noise pollution. I don't care who or what is making the noise. In fact, a few years ago I complained about the whistling done to somehow help people park their cars in parking lots. I also have complained about dogs barking in the past. I also complained about people slamming the doors in apartment complexes during time when people sleep. Of course, it would help if the building owners would find a way to reduce the noise that the slamming doors make. And what about those ad trucks blaring out their message? By the way, I complain about noise pollution in my home country too. When bikers go up and down the street waking everyone up, I complain. So, this is not just about Thailand.

Tune it out! Are you kidding? And, it is not even melodious!

Interesting that these chants are sermons though! Very interesting! Very, very interesting! :D This might explain that! :D

As far as the church bell ringing on Sunday in many Western countries, first let's make a big distinction. It only lasts a few minutes and it does not happen at 6 a.m. Secondly, bell ringing is not as ... insidious. However, you make a valid point. At the same time, I would have no problem if Asians or Africans --or Martians , for that matter-- were to complain about the noise. I would see that as a positive. In some countries we have the right to voice our concerns. It is called democracy. If enough people feel the bells should not be rung, then they should not. Majority rules. Now, we also have rules to protect minority and their freedom of expression.

If the majority of Thai people love to be awaken at those odd times and for hours by anyone, let them decide and let them decide in a fair way. And, by the way, as gracious hosts of all of those people who help the Thai people live better lives, you might even consider involving those dreaded foreigners. :D We sometimes have good ideas! :D But, sometimes --and understandably so-- ideas and views that some people from certain groups might not like us to express ... on forums or on PA systems at 3 a.m.! :D

Edited by rethaired

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You of course did not make any reference to any royal issue. I only mentioned it as one of the issues besides religion to be better left to Thais to discuss.

opalhort

EDIT: to Mods:

I think this topic should be closed since it has a potential to deteriorate.

Edited by opalhort