Elusive Former Leader Shinawatra Calls Foul In Tweet

george

Elusive former leader Shinawatra calls foul in tweet

By John Le Fevre

BANGKOK (thaivisa.com): -- Fugitive former primer minister Thaksin Shinawatra has claimed the government is using a range of methods to intimidate people to recant their signature for a royal pardon for him on a petition organized by the United Front for Democracy (UDD).

Using the microblogging platform Twitter, Shinawatra said he had received numerous phone calls from people, soldiers, and police claiming they had been pressured to recant their original decision.

Feeling somewhat aggrieved, the elusive former leader asked his Twitter followers, currently numbering more than 10,600, where the democracy was if people were being intimidated to withdraw their choice.

The claims of government intimidation came as UDD leaders said they will submit the petition seeking the royal pardon to the Office of His Majesty’s Principal Private Secretary at 1.30pm on August 17.

According to Veera Musikhapong, a core leader of the red-shirts movement, more than 1,000 Buddhist monks and 1,500 red-shirt representatives will deliver more than 600 boxes of supporting evidence and lists of people who had signed in support of the royal pardon.

The plan to submit the petition seeking a royal pardon for the disgraced former leader has been subject to considerable opposition by academics, the government, Senate Speaker Prasopsuk Boondej, and the main coalition Bhumjaithai party, all of who argue that seeking a pardon for a convicted felon who has not served part of his sentence is not constitutional.

Countering this are claims by the UDD, the main opposition Puea Thai party, and the House 111 group who say that the people have the right to petition their King.

The Ministry of Interior is continuing to urge people who signed the petition to recant their choice, saying people who have changed their minds can do so at any provincial or district office.

thaivisa-news.png

-- thaivisa.com 2009-08-07

Hmmmmm, not bad Mr. Le Fevre. In fact - excellent. A very good description of what I see around here, in the "heart of pro-democracy Red Shirt environs".

Aside from a few too many derogatory descriptors such as 'fugitive' and 'disgraced', this is quite balanced.

To use the term 'disgraced' is spoken as if it is a fact. His opposition would like to think that, and will describe him as such at every opportunity. But it is 'alienating' to a majority of the electorate. To them he is not the least disgraced. Ya don't get 5.3M signatories to a "citizens supplication" for someone who is disgraced.

Your quotes of both pro-democracy Red Shirt leaders equal to Government sources is great.

I have heard of several instances of this 'coercive re-cantation' effort. Yesterday a group of pro-democracy Red Shirts confronted the governor, who had gone to a location where he forced the mayor to recant, and expected the mayor in turn to do likewise for the townsfolk. The Red Shirts eventually went home because there was no action. No-one showed up to recant.

Edited by Ferwert

Hmmmmm, not bad Mr. Le Fevre. In fact - excellent. A very good description of what I see around here, in the "heart of pro-democracy Red Shirt environs".

Aside from a few too many derogatory descriptors such as 'fugitive' and 'disgraced', this is quite balanced.

To use the term 'disgraced' is spoken as if it is a fact. His opposition would like to think that, and will describe him as such at every opportunity. But it is 'alienating' to a majority of the electorate. To them he is not the least disgraced. Ya don't get 5.3M signatories to a "citizens supplication" for someone who is disgraced.

Your quotes of both pro-democracy Red Shirt leaders equal to Government sources is great.

I have heard of several instances of this 'coercive re-cantation' effort. Yesterday a group of pro-democracy Red Shirts confronted the governor, who had gone to a location where he forced the mayor to recant, and expected the mayor in turn to do likewise for the townsfolk. The Red Shirts eventually went home because there was no action. No-one showed up to recant.

Who are these "pro democracy red shirts" you keep going on about? I've never seen any, only the pro Thaksin thugs and their paid stooges. You did get the bold bit correct though. You certainly don't get 5.3M signatories for a disgraced person. Seeing as Thaksin's picture now appears in the dictionary as the definition for disgraced, along with lying, cheating, murdering and a number of other adjectives, the only logical conclusion is that most of the signatures are false.

Hopefully, we can keep this thread about the message and not the messenger. A good messenger delivers the message, whether it's good news or bad news. This messenger seems to be pretty good--even if the message isn't always one we like to hear.

I must say, however, that it is a sorry state of affairs when a gov't has to take to trying to get people to recant on something they signed.

Why just last week I signed a bunch of things--all having to do with my credit card. I wonder if I can recant?

The gov't is a day late and dollar short, as usual.

I must say, however, that it is a sorry state of affairs when a gov't has to take to trying to get people to recant on something they signed.

Why just last week I signed a bunch of things--all having to do with my credit card. I wonder if I can recant?

The gov't is a day late and dollar short, as usual.

Well, Sir, may I suggest then, if you know things that well and the fast lane out of this mess,

the messenger is creating with his messages on purpose,

offer Mr.Abhisit and his cabinet, you surely welcome advice!

But please don't forget that in Thailand people aren't the same as the foreigner are,

people still try to allow the perpetrator to keep his dignity and face and one can hardly blame them for simply being polite!

Edited by Samuian

Thaksin IS a fugitive.

Thaksin IS disgraced.

THESE ARE FACTS.

Face reality.

dis·grace

n.

1. Loss of honor, respect, or reputation; shame.

<deleted>·gi·tive

adj.

1. Running away or fleeing, as from the law.

Edited by Jingthing

Interesting that 5 million people will go out of their way to sign yet he has only 10,000 people following him on twitter.

If I was on twitter I would follow him. Its important to keep an eye on a criminal disgraced fugitive like that, a man intent on destroying this great country. In other words, twitter following does not equate with SUPPORTERS.

Interesting that 5 million people will go out of their way to sign yet he has only 10,000 people following him on twitter.

12, 480 at this moment, and counting.

He started Twitter last week I think.

I will provide this board a valuable service and keep it updated on this score.

I know many of you, my fellow posters and friends, will appreciate that...........right?............???????

Especially my best friends Animatic, Plus and good buddy Jingthing...et al.

Sorry if I missed some of you. That is the risk of giving special recognition to some....Ya always miss some.

Edited by Ferwert

Are the one who follow Thaksin on twitter called twits? :)

yes and it's the place where he twits da twits!

During the governments' persecution of European Anabaptists, Baltasar Hubmaier was tortured, and forced to recant his faith. They brought him to court to make it public and he recanted his recantation!

The government need not force its citizens to recant. Just reject the petition as improper.

Hopefully, we can keep this thread about the message and not the messenger. A good messenger delivers the message, whether it's good news or bad news. This messenger seems to be pretty good--even if the message isn't always one we like to hear.

Funny you should make that statement. There have been several of my posts deleted even though they were either "quotes" and/or written by someone else....There is a lot of valuable information available now but some people on this site who have TV stars on their shoulders decide what is best for all the little children who read this forum.

During the governments' persecution of European Anabaptists, Baltasar Hubmaier was tortured, and forced to recant his faith. They brought him to court to make it public and he recanted his recantation!

The government need not force its citizens to recant. Just reject the petition as improper.

Johnny Carson used to say of his audience "if they buy the premise then they'll buy the bit". The premise that the citizenry should petition the King and that he should respond is, to my knowledge unprecedented. That Thaksin then raises questions about interference in this "process", which is not legitimate to begin with, lends his self-manufactured "process" an air of legitimacy which it does not posess. Whatever he's paying his PR team to keep him in the news; he's getting a good return on his investment.

I follow Thaksin on Twitter and I would like to think that I am not a twit. I do it because I like to keep my eye on what he is up to - friends close, enemies closer sort of thing - and I also get a giggle reading about his constant whining. I know quite a few friends who follow him and they are definitely NOT his supporters.

And Ferwert, the reds are NOT pro democracy. They are pro Thaksin, simple as that. And he IS a disgrace.

12, 480 at this moment, and counting.

He started Twitter last week I think.

I will provide this board a valuable service and keep it updated on this score.

I know many of you, my fellow posters and friends, will appreciate that...........right?............???????

Especially my best friends Animatic, Plus and good buddy Jingthing...et al.

Sorry if I missed some of you. That is the risk of giving special recognition to some....Ya always miss some.

WHAT, you forgot SRJ!! Think barbers shop quartet.

Falls someway short of the millions supporting the petition and following on Twitter.

But then, what do Thais know when compared to those most enlightened of folks, the TV barber shop quartet?

Falls someway short of the millions supporting the petition and following on Twitter.

The VAST MAJORITY of foreigners in Thailand are anti-Thaksin. Of course, we don't count for anything in Thailand, but we can post here anyway. To repeat, the petition numbers are FAKE and the number of <deleted> is meaningless as all kinds of people like to watch a TRAIN WRECK.

Edited by Jingthing

The VAST MAJORITY of foreigners in Thailand are anti-Thaksin. Of course, we don't count for anything in Thailand, but we can post here anyway. To repeat, the petition numbers are FAKE and the number of <deleted> is meaningless as all kinds of people like to watch a TRAIN WRECK.

This post will probalbly deleted.. but i think you as many other posters are brainwashed by the Nation and the Bangkok post...

Edited by Lite Beer
Not deleted but pointless comment edited out. Lite Beer

This post will probalbly deleted.. but i think you as many other posters are brainwashed by the Nation and the Bangkok post...

Is that the best you've got, ill informed personal attacks?

BTW, I didn't like Mr Tacky from Day One of his coming to power. This was when most foreigners loved him. To me he ALWAYS smelled like a major league RAT.

Are the one who follow Thaksin on twitter called twits? :D

<deleted> ? :D

Correct, the plural of twits is <deleted>. :)

This post will probalbly deleted.. but i think you as many other posters are brainwashed by the Nation (oops did i mention a sponser) and the Bangkok post...

Is that the best you've got, ill informed personal attacks?

BTW, I didn't like Mr Tacky from Day One of his coming to power. This was when most foreigners loved him. To me he ALWAYS smelled like a major league RAT.

Show me a player in this league that doesn't.   :)

......edited........

Whatever he's paying his PR team to keep him in the news; he's getting a good return on his investment.

This is the point where I dont understand the media -

the media which has been heavily under pressure

at his time... why do they give him all this free exposure? :)

TiT!

I haven't bothered reading any of the posts here, as it doesn't take a clairvoyant to know what will be posted. I wonder sometimes if TV keeps posting these irrelevant Taksin stories just to keep The "I Hate Taksin" crowd happy venting their spleens. Happy posters are regular users.

Perhaps they chose the recant option since it is not the "government" that will consider the request for the pardon. Is it possible though they have been asked to intervene to avoid an embarassing situation whereby someone will have o decide and then be seen as having taken an "official" position. I think it is obvious that there is an effort being made to keep the publicly stated position of neutrality as cosideration of a pardon would be perceived rightly or wrongly as having taken sides. It is a no win situation for all parties involved. A person has the right to ask for a pardon, but sometimes it is best to pick the right time to do so.

How do you know what the position of foreigners is? That position has never been measured. It could be pro, it could be anti. No one knows. One can't go by what a few vocal people on TV write, either for or against Mr. Thaksin. Most likely the majority of foreigners really don't care and have written this off as local politics where all parties are the same. It's like what gets flushed down the loo. Different, size and smell for some, but essentially all the same thing.