Catching Prawns

I've read several posts about prawn farming. We have adjacent to our house a small pond about 40 x 40 meters and 3-4 meters deep. We stocked with fish (mainly cat fish) and more recently we added about 50 prawns, most with eggs. We feed the fish every day but this is obviously not a commercial enterprise, more just for sports fishing for the Barbi, and a bit of fun.

My question. Can anyone advice on a style or type of trap for collecting the prawns? Also what will make them enter it? Cause they would be good on the barbi as well! Thanks.

I don't know.

I think prawns are omnivorous, so I would make a long wire mesh basket, think of the air socks at the airport, but with the bottom closed, with a string tied to the opening, and meaty bait at the closed end. Leave it alone for an hour, pull the string and rapidly draw it out of the water before they escape!

Just a guess.

Try this:

Stop feeding the fish, the fish will eat the prawns, catch the fish, bbq fish with a prawn filling, Voila!

Sorry, I didn't know a good answer so I resorted to a stupid one. :)

Good luck with catching them though, they certainly will be fresh, prawns on the bbq with a few beers. Sounds good!

put a couple of old car tyres in the pond and in the evening and morning go for a swim and you will find the prawns sleeping in the tyres. They can be easily caught with your hands! That is if yer fish haven't beat you to it :)

BB

PS Can be working in to your daily bathing routine to ensure you get washed regularly!

Edited by Badbanker

I had a Thai Brother in law who used to hang some wires to the overheard wire and attach them to a shallow basket. He would swipe the river water and the stunned prawns would float to the top. I don't recommend this as the police might not think it was funny. He was always on the watch when he did it. He knew he was breaking the law. But they did taste good.

The old wall mounted, hand crank, telephone are reported to work very well in stunning aquatic critters. Never heard of their use on prawns/shrimp as a 10 to 16 foot trawl behind a motor boat works very well when volume is desired. Putting the latter rig in a pond/tank would be like setting up a Maizefarmer type milking shed for 1 milk cow.

• 4 weeks later...