Where Do You Live, And Why?

sbaker8688

Hello,

Moving to Thailand soon. Been about 5 times before. Don't want to go into details, but at this point I truly feel that I have no more future in my own country, so....

Anyway, where do you live, and why? I pretty much decided to go to Chaingmai "by default" because I haven't been to many other places in Thailand, and I somewhat know my way around in Chaingmai. I mean, I was in Bangkok but the place was so bloody huge, and I didn't know anyone, and no one around me spoke english, and I didn't know where to go or what to do, so it was a disaster. On the other hand, all I had to do in Chaingmai was leave my hotel and BOOM - found tons of things within walking distance, I didn't have to worry about getting lost, many Thais spoke english, super-easy to meet people, yadda yadda.

So. Where do you live? Bangkok? Pataya? Chaingmai? And why? Where do you recommend? ######, for that matter how do you make a living? Etc.

Thanks!

Phuket.

- Enjoy swimming on the beautiful beaches, scuba diving

- Have road signs in English (although different spellings for the same name on different signs)

- Small island, easy to get around

- English pretty widely spoken by the locals

- Have international airport - connect to the rest of the world via BKK or Singapore

Although I have to say... sometimes I wonder for how long more I'll be here. It's not really a place for girls - it's more of a guy's place - thank buddha for Central Festival and Similan islands!

I live in Phuket.

Reasons:-

The general area is probably one of the most beautiful places in the world. Phang-Nga bay is a World Heritage site.

Phuket can be described as "Thailand Lite" because it's very cosmopolitan, you can get by very easily if you don't speak Thai (I can speak reasonable Thai, a definite advantage).

Doesn't seem to have anywhere near as many of the scuzzy expats that Pattaya seems to attract.

Good international connections from the airport (2nd busiest airport in Thailand).

Excellent international hospitals (just in case).

One day will be the cyber capital of Thailand (5555555555 great joke).

Been here 20 years already, so, it's a habit I can't grow out of.

The only downside I see, is that the cost of living is the most expensive in Thailand.

Make my living working in the offshore oil business (6 weeks on, 6 weeks off).

i live on cape cod usa married to a thai but soon

me and my wife and kids will be moving to sir burs

house in  phuket six weeks there six weeks here ...yeeeee..haaaaa :D  :o

:D

Live in Chania, Crete, Greece right now because that's where the work is.

Been going to LOS at least once/twice a year since 1977.

Hope to retire in LOS in 4 years. My TG wants Bangkok as she BKK girl.

Trying to get her to look at other areas in Thailand.

I'm considering Pattaya/Jomtien area right now.

I live up in the boonies of Loei province. Quiet, scenic and very little traffic. I live up here most of the time now but still have a condo in Jomtien if all goes sour up here.

I guess I'm getting old and crotchety because the scads of tourists and the VERY heavy traffic make me crazier than normal. Very few farangs suits me well. :o

Currently live on Saipan in the Northern Mariana Islands. Been here 26 years for work. Retiring at the end of March and will move to Korat on April 5th. Moving to Korat because that's where my GF is from (she's working on Saipan now) and I like the place, even if I have referred to it as the Bakersfield of Thailand!

I've grown weary of the lack on anonymity that comes with small town living and am anxious to live somewhere a bit more cosmopolitan and a bit less isolated.

Korat fits the bill for me.

YMMV

I've grown weary of the lack on anonymity that comes with small town living and am anxious to live somewhere a bit more cosmopolitan and a bit less isolated.

Korat fits the bill for me.

Korat as in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima or a village in the province of Korat?

If the city I'm sure you'll soon be rid of those small town blues. :D

If a village, then you may feel isolated again. :o

Spose it depends if you're a mountain or sea person? I'm in Chiang Mai, love the mountains and the climate is superb. Great city as well but real shame at the amount of pollution. If they sorted out the <deleted> tuk, tuks and sawnthaew motors it'd make a real difference. I do like the beach scene and they're not far away now with the advent of the budget airline in los. Used to live down south but the year-round humidity is a killer and it's as flat as a witches [T]his s [T]hailand. :o

It all depends on what you want. I live in Surin in the heart of Isaan now. Great town,nice people. If you want a nice peaceful life here is the place. Although saying that,a lot of people are taking the plunge and moving to Isaan. How long it stays quiet for is anyones guess.I also lived in Pattaya,and enjoyed that too,but now being a very,very happily married man Pattaya has lost a bit of it's charm. We still go every month,but from a three day visit ,it has now turned into a drive in,buy what we need and drive home affair. That's the joy of living out in the woods these days. Nearly everywhere you go is accessible and you can get back to a city in a couple of hours. A lot of my friends have chose to live on the outskirts of big places,so it's minutes not hours. Remember in this day and age it is possible to have the best of both worlds.

Korat as in the city of Nakhon Ratchasima or a village in the province of Korat?

If the city I'm sure you'll soon be rid of those small town blues.  :D

If a village, then you may feel isolated again.  :o

The city for sure. Hoping to find a place to stay near the city center. I'd like to be able to walk to coffee in the morning and to beer at night!

I prefer the mountains. 500 meters above sea level or more. That makes the nights chilly enough to enjoy when it is hot. Also your electric bill will be cheaper (less air con). The rent will be cheaper.

You will have a long way to beaches, but the thais got river beaches as well. Also it is good to stay somewhere near a bigc, lotus etc. It is important to do some shopping now and then.

Since you have only been here 5 times you probably dont speak that much. You will probably need to stay a place where there already are lots of forreigners. Start in Chiang Mai is probably not a bad idea. You can get everything there. Then from there go on holiday to places like Pai, Mae Hong Son, Chiang Rai etc. See the places before you decide to move there.

Good luck.

> I live and work in Banglamung... near Pattaya.

:D LOL... You don't have to get all apologetic.. :o (Is there any part of Pattaya that's not Banglamung?)

It's kind of like saying you live in Huay Khwang... near Bangkok. :D

Personally I live in Tambon Suthep... near Chiang Mai.

:D  LOL...  You don't have to get all apologetic.. :D   (Is there any part of Pattaya that's not Banglamung?)

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on that... :o

From what I've learnt is that Banglamung is the correct Thai name for Pattaya

OK OK OK.... :D

To set the record straight...

Pattaya City is in the tambon of Nongprue (as is Jomtien, Na Jomtien, Bang Sare)

Nongprue is in the amphur of Banglamung (as is Sri Ratcha, Ao Udon, Laem Chabang)

Banglamung is in the district or province of Chonburi.....

I think :D

Spose it depends if you're a mountain or sea person? I'm in Chiang Mai, love the mountains and the climate is superb. Great city as well but real shame at the amount of pollution. If they sorted out the <deleted> tuk, tuks and sawnthaew motors it'd make a real difference. I do like the beach scene and they're not far away now with the advent of the budget airline in los. Used to live down south but the year-round humidity is a killer and it's as flat as a witches [T]his s [T]hailand. :o

Explaining to people that burning rubber and plastic items would be a good thing too. :D Makes the khom loy glow nicely though... that bluish haze around them.

cv

Between Rama IV and Sukhumvit, off Soi 42 (nearer to Rama IV than to Suk).

Easy stroll to Ekkamai.

For:

Walking distance to schools (language and training courses as they were needed), Uni, Ekkamai BTS, Cineplex, Bus terminal, BKK Post stand, few restaurants, local bus network, Kluaynamtai hospital.

Rama IV Lotus/Tesco - taxi clocks up 44B.

Sometimes there were weeks or even months between usage of any transportation other than own feet.