Do You Log In As An Administrator Or User Account ?

torrenova

I've always worked on my own PCs as an administrator but I wonder if I should perhaps change to a user account and then just sign on for admin things as necessary. Is this practical or are some of the things I do (normal user stuff really) running because it is in admin mode and thus, any change would cause problems ?

What do you do ? reasons ?

I hate to drag *nix back in yet another conversation, but since they are the most secure systems, why not do what they do and use a regular account....I'm sure that even Windows allows you to put in an admin password to do tasks.

If you are using good security practices, a registered copy of Windows fully patched, a properly set up firewall, autorun turned off, a good antivirus (not just AVG or some other freebie crap), and you are the only person who uses the computer then you should be fine.

Definitely limit others to user accounts, and set your antivirus to scan removable media.

One of the biggest issues with Windows is how it's difficult to use when not in Admin mode.

I hate to drag *nix back in yet another conversation, but since they are the most secure systems, why not do what they do and use a regular account....I'm sure that even Windows allows you to put in an admin password to do tasks.

Nowadays you just right click on an executable and choose 'run as administrator'. It's had the facility since NT4 where you held down the 'shift' key as you right-clicked. The problem is with badly written apps that expect full access to the machine rather than Windows itself..

If you are using good security practices, a registered copy of Windows fully patched, a properly set up firewall, autorun turned off, a good antivirus (not just AVG or some other freebie crap), and you are the only person who uses the computer then you should be fine.

Definitely limit others to user accounts, and set your antivirus to scan removable media.

One of the biggest issues with Windows is how it's difficult to use when not in Admin mode.

So what is a good security set up ?

I must admit, I've fallen into a "why pay for it ?" existence with at home PC security. When working, the IT boys did it all and at home, it didn't seem an issue initially and then it seemed that providers with what seemed like decent offerings were giving nearly as good away for free and then we also knew no-one who ever had had a problem which could be positively linked back to them not having paid for PC security.

I am looking at this and other things more closely, perhaps because the downside to a major problem would be considerable. But is paying $??? (and how much are we talking about here ?) the solution ?

So what is a good security set up ?

common sense :)

don't install stuff you know nothing about, keep your OS up2date and buy a router.

there's no need for expensive security software unless you're an admin of a bank or something.

most of the free antivirus and anti-spyware programs are ok.

Edited by bangla

I warn people off AVG because:

1. It's present on most machines I have to clean infections off of, therefor showing it is letting stuff through.

2. Independent lab tests score it poorly.

If you must use free, use Avira. If you don't mind spending a couple hours pay to get the best go with Eset NOD32, Kaspersky, or the paid version from Avira.

There's online scans that you can use to double check your system with.

http://eset.com/onlinescan/

1. It's present on most machines I have to clean infections off of, therefor showing it is letting stuff through.

If you must use free, use Avira. If you don't mind spending a couple hours pay to get the best go with Eset NOD32, Kaspersky, or the paid version from Avira.

These users wouldn't have all of these problems if they ran under a limited user account. Using a non-admin account is not a problem anymore depending on your apps. If you do have some random apps that STILL don't work under non-admin accounts, then find a new app or run that single app with an admin account. It's simple to configure an app to automatically run using an admin account, so there is really no reason to be logged in under an admin account if you are worried about malware.

This is a tough one, it depends on which version of Windows you are running. On XP running as admin poses a real trhead to system security. When running Vista and Windows 7, this is greatly reduced as even though you are running with an admin account, you still only have a user token, so any file system access / registry access will result in a UAC prompt . Of course disabling UAC will make this advantage disappear.

At the same time, these two operating systems offer file and registry virtualisation, which makes it less difficult to run as a non admin user. This feature is specifically designed as a temporary solution, until applications are written with Vista's and Windows 7 new security model in mind.

Maybe the most important feature of UAC is the sandbox in which IE7 or IE8 run, making it the most secure browser for the Windows platform.

To be honest, running as admin in Vista/Windows 7 isn't a problem, because of the token that gets assigned to you, running as admin in XP is not advisable, but I am betting that certainly for consumers, this is done by most people.

I always operate using limited user account.

If you encounter software in this mode that won't run log in as admin, make sure you deselect simple file sharing, and then change security setting/privileges for application in question giving limited user account more rights. Any changes will only affect that application not others. Then go back to limited user account log-in. App should then run no problem.

I also run firewall and sometimes anti-virus software. You can't be to safe.

Haven't used AVG in years & never intend using it again. I use Avira Free. I also make sure it is updated & I also do regular scans.

I don't worry about malware under an admin account, haven't had any in years. Common sense has a lot to do with it but using the best defences is another big part of it. :)

Couldn't agree more.

I use Spybot & again, I make sure it is regularly updated. I also do regular scans.

I see no problem with using Windows as an administrator IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING! I've been doing this for years without a problem.

From my experience, the people who mostly get into trouble are the people who know little about computer maintenance as well as know little about setting up programs properly AFTER installing them. Many people install a program (e.g. antivirus or anti malware/spyware) & do not bother to check the settings. They assume that once installed, "everything" is taken care of.

Computers are like cars...they require regular maintenance.

To root or not to root - that is indeed like great sex. Wanna live on the wild side and go bareback? Be my guest.

A very loaded question - all the spooks will be out, armed with their respective Linux & M$ Vader weapons.

My theory has always been 'if ya need that much protection, ya doing it all wrong'

Remember that both of these occupations were purist - clean, good fun, before the wonks came along.

Perhaps we simply need to clean up our act. Of course, the wonks will have us believe that all the Viruses are of

our own making and need all this freaky protection. A bunch of snakeoil salesmen, at best.

I have not had a virus in 10 years - maybe longer. I have never crashed any machine, except deliberately.

The same goes with everything else I do. Maybe its just a little discipline every once in a while.

As to you Q&A - live on the wild side, baby. Go big or go home. Root. We are not kids. Paid retail at the door.

BR>Jack

An interesting although somewhat cryptic reply Jack. Nonetheless, I agree with you (I think).

Even though I take all the prescribed precautions, I've never had a a major virus or malware intrusion for about 10 years.

I believe this is due to my awareness of what sites/software are likely to deliver harmful content as opposed to sites/software that are likely to be harmless.

Yes Sir - as agreed, it aint rocket science, and for the most part a simple Linux mini distro would do all the

ISP, Mail, Docs, etc that 90% of the folks out there need/use. I recently converted an entire IC to Linux,

as M$ was starting to harass the owner about sales of M$ Virus - I advised him to do it sooner rather than later.

He did 3 machines per evening and nobody missed a beat. A browser is a browser. No AV.

BR>Jack

BTW The M$ rep was totally flabbergasted ... even brought his regional bossman by.

I still run an AV on my linux machine as it's where the mail gets delivered to and I don't want to unwittingly forward malware to anyone. Just because Linux isn't susceptible to many viruses doesn't mean it can't be a carrier.