Ship A Vehicle To Thailand?

SIAMBULL

Anyone shipped a vehicle from the States to Muang Thai?

I'm assuming it's exorbitant but maybe less than selling here and buying there.

Input appreciated.

Thanks

BULL

It's the 110% import duty you need to worry about, not the cost of freight. Also, the steering wheel will be a the wrong side!

My advise is to forget it, or buy a large bottle Paracetamol for the Headache it will give you.

I looked into this 8 years ago, and gave the thought up after I got a price and how much the import Tax would have been.

It is really not worth all the hassle.

Input appreciated.

Thanks

BULL

It's the 110% import duty you need to worry about, not the cost of freight. Also, the steering wheel will be a the wrong side!

If it was only 110% more people would import their car or bike,unfortunately import duty accounts for a whopping 280%

Input appreciated.

Thanks

BULL

Expensive is an understatement - it is exhaubitant! - and the moment you go over the 3litre or 200hp mark (or thereabouts) it goes from exhaubitant to around 216% in duties & taxes on the CIF value of the car!

Yer - its that bad, but hang on a sec, thats only half the story: the paperwork run-around, with the unavoidable "tea-money" requests that will accompany paperwork processing, will have you tearing our hair out.

As Pattay_girl says - a large botle of Paracetamol (and debifralator) will be essential "equipment" should you wish to pursure the matter .... and one more thing: please do keep the forum updated!!

Input appreciated.

Thanks

BULL

If it was only 110% more people would import their car or bike,unfortunately import duty accounts for a whopping 280%

Are you sure? I thought it was 110%. Even at 110%, it's too much for me!

Exhaubatant indeed. Mai pen rai. I'll sell stateside and buy there.

Thanks for the input.

I shipped one over here way back when but then was in a duty free status. Shipped it back, too. Much later back here in non-duty free status so bought a new 4-door Toyota pickup, locally made. Later, too, bought a 2nd hand Toyota HiAce van, also local. Now looking to see that van and get another one, newer, but probably also 2nd hand.

A new Toyota van runs about what it would in the U.S. about baht 1 million, $30,000 these days with the US $$ down. Good 4-door pickup perhaps $25k.

Mac

Before making any rash decision that will part you with a lot of money this is a list of links discussed on the forum before. Although this is more towards motorcycles -this will give you some insite into the insane.

I wanted to impory my new 2003 Ford ranger -New $17,800 Shipping & customs(in feb 2004) $26,700 & change the shipping was cheap the customs over 110% .Here are the articles. Unless you are really in love with your ride, buy it here it will be way cheaper to buy a new one.

Before you decide to import a motorcycle into the United States, you should ensure it conforms to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and Department of Transportation (DOT) regulations. These agencies have very detailed requirements that can make importing a motorcycle difficult. EPA advises importers of motorcycles to obtain a letter from the manufacturer stating it conforms to U.S. standards. If it is imported into the U.S. and does not conform, it must be brought into compliance before it can clear Customs and Border Protection (CBP), be legally registered, used and or sold in the U.S.

If it is not brought into compliance, it can not remain in the U.S. and it must be exported or destroyed. For example, if the motorcycle you intend to import is a Harley Davidson, many of those bikes were exported for sale in a foreign country and do not conform to U.S. standards. The EPA has a detailed automotive facts manual describing emission requirements. You can get a copy of this manual, entitled the Automotive Imports Facts Manual,(order #EPA420B94006) or other information about importing motor vehicles by calling the EPA import hotline at (734) 214-4100.

From a CBP standpoint, you must file an entry and the EPA Form 3520-1 and the DOT form HS-7 must be submitted to CBP to receive the Entry Summary document CBP Form 7501. You will need this form to register the motorcycle in your state.

Prior to filing your entry with CBP, ensure you have valid proof of ownership, which is an original certificate of title, or a certified copy of the original, and the bill of sale. You will be required to pay 1.5% to 2.9% duty, which will be assessed based on the purchase price or blue book value.

For additional information on how to bring motor vehicles into the U.S. for personal use, please reference our publication Importing or Exporting a Car.

http://www.customs.gov/ImageCache/cgov/con...v1/icp017r2.pdf

http://www.livetray.com/xzclf/-2/posts/35_...legal_3195.html

Hello, I would think that if money is not an issue then this would be a good adventure and a source of great pains. You would be better off buying a vehicle in Thailand, and it would not be as much ofa risk to pass other vehicles with the steering on the correct side on Thai vehicles so you can see what is coming down the road. Cheers.