My Gf Wants A Salary!

rethaired

Equal access to finances, with a relationship in LOS? You've got to be joking.

Why not ? if you are married

If they lady wants to be with you for you and not your money good:

If she wants to be with you because you give her money every month WRONG REASON :

At the end of the day it up to the individual this thread is like so many others and will go on for ever.

This situation that you have in this country is all the fault of us Farangs going back to the 2nd World War when services were paid for its now called salary.

If you get a good lady and there not all bad, then best of luck and then share what you want

Enough said

Edited by macb

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After having spent many years together (on and off, as I go back to my home country to work), my GF is asking for a salary, but she tells this is not about business, it is about love! :) I ask her how much? She tells me bar girls can get about 30,000 B, so maybe my salary should be about the same. Of course, she was shy about talking about this at the beginning, because "it is not polite"! I am supposed to be a gentleman! I also must help her parents! I must also help my parents. Is she helping my parents? Is she going to? Nope! I am confused! Should I run?

A novel approach - suggest that she becomes employed to assist you with your parents, and that you will, out of the goodness of your heart, not ask for her to pay any money to you. :D

Of course there are several questions which beg to be asked:

*What was her given 'profession' before you met her? (factory worker, service worker, or “time-share gurl”)

*Why isn’t she working now? Did she take ‘early retirement to look after you when you’re in thailand? (In other words to sit on her ass all day and watch television, eat and do nothing?)

*What is her education level?

*How would she know bar-gurlz can make 30,000 baht a month in "salary"? Did she find out from her friends, from previous work experience or due diligence via the internet in her spare time?

Realize 30,000 baht a month is often enough to run the financial needs of an entire small village located in "Nakhon Nowhere" Thailand for a month, so IMHO quite an extravagant sum to ask for. That other posters mentioned the disparity between first world wages and thai wages has no relevance here, (last time I checked this was thailand, and certainly cannot be compared to a first world country by any stretch of the imagination).

Her added query of if you will also help her family as well is quite bold considering in the same breath she already asked for a ‘salary’. I would hope you're smart enough to know having a car in her name is just plain stupid. It both shows her outright greediness, and her true colors after all. Of course you can have a car in YOUR name that she could use, but that would probably not be acceptable to her because she couldn't take it and leave.

While this post sounds all too much like a troll, if you are not one, you certainly aren't the sharpest tool in the proverbial shed, coming to an anonymous internet forum, and posting drivel like this for "advice".

Given this forum has two widely disparate “camps” of posters; the “mindless sheep-like wanna be thai foreigners” who are embracing their ‘thai-ness’, and the “thai bashers”, who slam anything remotely hinted at as “alleged thai culture” (I reside in the later camp thank you); you’re unlikely to find any real advice. ALthough with that being said some of the posters did offer quite a bit of wisdom in how to deal with this situation.

Good luck, you've certainly got a "good gurl" there. I especially like the part where she speaks good engrish but not well enough for you to understand exactly what she's saying nor for you to convey your real meaning either. (Just <deleted> does that even mean? :D ).

The mind wobbles at the mindlessness some foreigners’ exhibit here when dealing with there (in)significant thai others. :)

I concur with other posters, and ask:

Do you find it hard living here in the glorious “Land ‘O Thais” without having a spine? :D

OK! As anyone who has learned communication will know, there is usually an underlying message and considering it was coming from an Asian and a woman, some of us male Westerners might need a sonar to detect it. This is not meant as being disparaging in any way. To each its culture and its mode of communication. They all have their advantages. When 2 cultures and genders cross though, there might be a few challenges. So, it seems that all she wanted from me was a commitment and the car was just that and the salary was just a threat because, from her point of view, I was not giving her the impression that I wanted something long-term. I can understand that she might not like the one who gets kicked to the curb once the exterior beauty wanes out. Fortunately, she has more to offer than that as far as I can reckon. So, I am considering marrying her, which might be the fair thing to do for her and I and, actually, the sane thing to do on many fronts. Yes, She will get 1/2 of what will be purchased during the marriage, but so what, unless of course, it happens the minute after the deed took place! :) But, I will only need to put 1/2 of what is required by immigration at 50. Hopefully, this will decrease a little her ability or willingness to try other pastures, which considering the diseases going around, is a plus. There are other advantages as well. If I want to bring her to my home country, it might be easier too. Tax wise, I might be even be able to go down a taxation bracket or two.

Sure, there is a bit of manipulation here. Call it blackmail, if you will! Funny those 2 words contain the word "male" and "man"! :D In any case, there isn't any need fighting societal rules and expectations. I might as well take the plunge! Let's hope the tanks are full of air! Not cold air or hot air though! (I was going to write "gas" in lieu of "air", but I am trying to prevent this discussion to deteriorate into a full-blown scatological discussion!)

I apologize for posting what seems to be now a soap-opera like situation, but I read the situation like a Westerner. Big mistake!

Well! Let's hope there is a happy ending here.

Thank you for all of you who took the time to provide some insight or give me some advice and there were many good ones I felt. I have deleted from memory the insults. :D

I hope this situation helps others put in the same situation.

Edited by rethaired

Well zorro1 thats the problem, it is textbook thai bargirl AND textbook traditional thai girl to expect financial support if he is richer than her. Telling them apart from one another with only a couple of paragraphs describing their financial expectations is almost impossible- because both groups of girls are raised to expect the same thing- only with hugely different motvations and intentions. Best of luck to you OP :). One book which has helped some people in your situation is called "Thailand Fever". Its a bit simple and only covers the basics, but its a good starting point. You can pick it up in most book shops or online. I believe it has a copy in both Thai and English so you can read it with your partner and learn about one another's cultural differences. Its been a long time since I read it but I see it mentioned on this forum positively quite often.

Edited by OxfordWill

OK! As anyone who has learned communication will know, there is usually an underlying message and considering it was coming from an Asian and a woman, some of us male Westerners might need a sonar to detect it. This is not meant as being disparaging in any way. To each its culture and its mode of communication. They all have their advantages. When 2 cultures and genders cross though, there might be a few challenges. So, it seems that all she wanted from me was a commitment and the car was just that and the salary was just a threat because, from her point of view, I was not giving her the impression that I wanted something long-term. I can understand that she might not like the one who gets kicked to the curb once the exterior beauty wanes out. Fortunately, she has more to offer than that as far as I can reckon. So, I am considering marrying her, which might be the fair thing to do for her and I and, actually, the sane thing to do on many fronts. Yes, She will get 1/2 of what will be purchased during the marriage, but so what, unless of course, it happens the minute after the deed took place! :) But, I will only need to put 1/2 of what is required by immigration at 50. Hopefully, this will decrease a little her ability or willingness to try other pastures, which considering the diseases going around, is a plus. There are other advantages as well. If I want to bring her to my home country, it might be easier too. Tax wise, I might be even be able to go down a taxation bracket or two.

Sure, there is a bit of manipulation here. Call it blackmail, if you will! Funny those 2 words contain the word "male" and "man"! :D In any case, there isn't any need fighting societal rules and expectations. I might as well take the plunge! Let's hope the tanks are full of air! Not cold air or hot air though! (I was going to write "gas" in lieu of "air", but I am trying to prevent this discussion to deteriorate into a full-blown scatological discussion!)

I apologize for posting what seems to be now a soap-opera like situation, but I read the situation like a Westerner. Big mistake!

Thank you for all of you who took the time to provide some insight or give me some advice and there were many good ones I felt. I have deleted from memory the insults. :D

Your last line kills me, I would hope anyone in the same situation doesnt follow the course of action you are considering.

Marriage, you are having a laugh.

Commitment, you dont buy cars and give a salary to get commitment, true colours finally being shown, no doubt egged on by some manipulative scheming cunning mother.

Get a pre-nup, thats the best advice I can offer, this girl is trying to cover all the bases, best you can hope for is to cover your ass.

Think whats needed on this is a Thai girls opinion.

Hey I know why don't you guys ask your GF what they think? :D

No seriously don't forget to mention she is 30 and they have been in a relationship for many years.

Regarding the 30K well we just don't know how rich the OP actually is do we.

Also mention that she said bar girls earn 30k see if they think she is whore because of that.

Thanks! You are courageous! But, this is much appreciated as I believe communication is key in understanding people and things in general.

I think this is an interesting and very astute comment you are making, showing finesse of thought. It is true that the commitment should be based on the person

's ability to pay or to offer whatever. Asking a 30 B meal to someone who is making millions a year is not much of a commitment, is it? :) Altrernatively, asking someone who cannot even pay the 30 B the purchase of a scooter is way out of line. This makes sense! Many women fall for the rich guy, but don't see to go beyond and ask whether or not they are ok with how this commitment was raised.

Women would advance humanity more, advance the evolution of our species more, if they were to look at how this commitment was acquired, not just look at how much was raised? The "how much" is ego based. How much is he valuing me compare to another. But, finding out how the commitment was raised would be more valuable to human beings as we would be able to reward those who have managed to come out of humble beginnings or challenging situations and gathered some sort of wealth or power or professional level. Of course, humanity would thank women for ditching the guys who cheated the system, such as the one who partook in illegal activities (drug dealing or trafficking, prostitution, gambling, loan sharking, hit-men, arms' salespersons,...). This would coerced men to change their ways.

Are some women advanced enough to consider all of this. Looking at how things are on the planet, we need them to understand this quickly! Time is running out. And fast!

BTW, call me blind, but what is the commitment guys get (equal to what men give)? Please discount the sex part as it is mutually satisfying (as far as I have been told :D ), so that does not count. The baby part is needed for humanity to survive, but it is not essential for the men of the generation. Love (with all that it implies) is also mutual, ideally, of course. So, what do men get? What kind of commitment are we getting from women? You seem to want it, no, demand it.

Just asking!

Your last line kills me, I would hope anyone in the same situation doesnt follow the course of action you are considering.

Marriage, you are having a laugh.

Commitment, you dont buy cars and give a salary to get commitment, true colours finally being shown, no doubt egged on by some manipulative scheming cunning mother.

Get a pre-nup, thats the best advice I can offer, this girl is trying to cover all the bases, best you can hope for is to cover your ass.

Thanks for the advice, but I believe she is entitled to a commitment! Who will be able to leave the relationship and be financially stable? Not her since her only means to get out of her misery is to find the prince. She could work and save and make it a go, but you know that this is not easy in many countries where the American dream (rags to riches) is virtually impossible, unless you partake in some illegal activities. She works hard in a very legitimate profession which I know for sure she manages to make a living. She gets stability and beauty. I get beauty and a kind heart who needs some security. Women all over the world need security. This is a well-know difference between men and women!

However, you are right! She needs to be committed to me too! What will she do to make it so? Work harder? Save more and put some money towards the purchase? I intent to ask for those kinds of commitments. Time will tell if she can show it. Actions speak louder than words. Marriage is likely a few months away during whichi time she can either hang herself or support herself!

I like the idea of a pre-nup though, but I am not too sure if it will be upheld in a Thai court! :D

Edited by rethaired

After having spent many years together (on and off, as I go back to my home country to work), my GF is asking for a salary, but she tells this is not about business, it is about love! :) I ask her how much? She tells me bar girls can get about 30,000 B, so maybe my salary should be about the same. Of course, she was shy about talking about this at the beginning, because "it is not polite"! I am supposed to be a gentleman! I also must help her parents! I must also help my parents. Is she helping my parents? Is she going to? Nope! I am confused! Should I run?

Sadly this senario seems to be the norm with Thai girls when they become involved with Farangs.

Quite honestly, they`re not worth even giving the time of day to and there is a word for women who request money for being a girl friend - prostitution.

I am finding that if you treat these girls nice after awhile they will try to walk all over you. If you treat them like garbage

they will love the helll out of you. I noticed this after watching how my wifes brothers treat their wives etc.

I have a GF on the side and at first i treated her like gold, (deeply in love with her) then she started nagging me about some

different things (needed $$ for this, take me here etc) and i just blew up in her face and yelled "WE <deleted> SET (finish)! GET THE F OUT OF MY CONDO!" and i threw her out. She was in shock, she couldnt believe i did it.

Next day she calls me crying begging me to take her back, i missed so much and told her come back but stop jai lai. Since then she

has been the perfect GF, does everything for me and so sweet.

Thats all good and dandy Will, but the questions leaps out to me. Why has my girlfriend and many of my firends girlfriends been paying their fair share - rent - food - etc.

Am I the only person in Thailand who is being supported finacially by Thai women?

Your suggestion that all men must pay to have a Thai parner, whilst perhaps true in your own expereince, it is not the way things work here. It's simply bullshit that newbies lap up with pleasure.

There are 2 of us then?

I don't have to pay for anything if i don't want to my Thai wifey will sort it out from her own money generated from her accounts business and when we are out in a group for food, dancing whatever they always share at the end..no one even looks at me to pay.

I think you need to realize some of the realities of life in Thailand.

My GF is educated and intelligent, she has what I think would generally be regarded as a good job.

Her monthly salary though is Bt60,000/month. This does not indicate she is an undereducated moron or that she is being taken advantage of. In fact, it is a fairly decent salary by Thai standards.

Ocasionally someone might be supported by a Thai girl (I was once flown first class to the Maldives to stay at a TGs hotel) but it must be pretty rare. The fact that my GF currently earns a pittance means to me it is only fair that I pay the bill in a restaurant, her air flights and hotels bills when we go on holiday etc.. Considering her salary, if I was to expect her to pay half the restaurant bill, we would be reduced to eating at MacDonalds.

When a Group of Thai people go out to a restaurant or dancing, the 'phuyai' tends to pay. The fact that they dont even look at you to pay rather reflects that they have both a fairly lowly respect for your wealth and social standing.

I have a company that employees over 250 Thais. Only one earns over Bt250k a month and I can guarantee she doesnt go out with any of your friends (assuming they are male).

Simply put, on average a TG cannot afford to pay half the expenses of a relationship.

It does remind me of a funny story though. There is a TG friend of mine who went out one night, met a farang and went back to his place to spend the night. He lived in a sparsely furnished studio flat. She felt rather sorry for him. So when she got up in the morning to make her escape she left Bt2000 next to his bed to help him out.

Thais are lazy if they can afford to be.

Thais are raised to put importance of money on top of the list.

Thais doesnt have a welfare system

Combine this with,

Thais are low educated people

Thais are easy to adapt bad behaviour and ideas

80% of Thais are fine with corruption if it gives themself a better life

Thais in general have little understanding of things

Stir this into a big bowl and you should all see what you are up against and why money issues sooner or later will face the earth.

I hath to agree in general with paddleshifter here. I like the list apart the penulitimate item in the list - 'Thais in general have little understang of things.' - What 'things' are you reffering to?

Yeah maybe I should said it in a diferent way. What I meant is that the general thai has little understanding when it comes to important things in life like; Law issues, education, politics, quality, rolemodeling, ethichs, moral, engineering, the future etc etc. All the more complex things in life.

The meaning of these things are better understood in more higher developed countries and societies. It comes with education and learning moral and ethichs all the way through the childhood and up. Its nothing that can be learned in just a day or two.

Edited by Paddleshifter

I am finding that if you treat these girls nice after awhile they will try to walk all over you. If you treat them like garbage

they will love the helll out of you. I noticed this after watching how my wifes brothers treat their wives etc.

I do have enormous sympathy with this view.

If you treat them badly they just seem to want to be with you more.

If you treat them well they just see this as a sign that you can treat them better.

Maybe it has something to do with shopping - the thing they cant have or afford to buy, doesnt putting them off wanting it but merely encourages the view it is something that is really worth having.

As you say treat them well and they just assume they can have more. I very recently went to Venice with my GF and told her we were staying at the Cipriani. Her reaction was 'I bet you booked the cheapest room.'

So I do agree there is little to be achieved by treating a TG too well. Buy her a Porsche and she will want a Rolls Royce.

There is a solution. As she cant appreciate staying at the Cipriani, her expectations must be far too high. So I booked her an economy flight ticket to realign her expectations.

Thailand is a land of negotiation, she started high expecting it to be cut by 60 -70 %.

What you need to explain - in a round about way- is that the income for BGs varies depending on 'experience'. A new 18 year old hardworking, beauty queen can indeed make 30000 baht a month.

But , and mention this very gently, a well used 30 year old haridan will be lucky to pull in 10,000 a month.

It might not be wise to suggest which one she is closer to. :)

Edited by clausewitz

As you say treat them well and they just assume they can have more. I very recently went to Venice with my GF and told her we were staying at the Cipriani. Her reaction was 'I bet you booked the cheapest room.'

So I do agree there is little to be achieved by treating a TG too well. Buy her a Porsche and she will want a Rolls Royce.

There is a solution. As she cant appreciate staying at the Cipriani, her expectations must be far too high. So I booked her an economy flight ticket to realign her expectations.

:D:D

I can also relate to this. In my opinion I think the 'I bet you booked the cheapest room' is an attempt at humour - I think :) . However, I rarely get a sense of gratitude from my GF when I do something. I also lower expectations by:-

Refusing to buy more than one pair of shoes (or other item) if we go shopping.

Using public transport more frequently than renting cars.

Saying that if we want a few days in Bangkok or Pattaya, we book budget rooms.

Without being disparaging, it is rather like dealing with children at times. They don't like being told "NO", but you have to do it to manage expectations etc

My dad brother and I all have Thai wives we all paid on average 10k a month to support them initially, the Thai wives are all now living in the UK and working earning there own money. Truth is each Thai has there own expectations and you cant tell if they are true initially. We are lucky ours have paid back ten fold what we gave them money and love.....

My Thai Mother in law has a sister I know well in khon Kaen she has 3 farang boyfriends they know nothing of each other each pay her different amounts each month to support her as they believe she needs it. She now has a restaurant, 2 houses, computers and a car!! They know nothing they all come to Thailand at different times of the year and she takes them all back to the family village (poor looking no furniture etc) to stay at mums....

She has I must say in her defence she paid all the medical bills for her mums cancer treatment and Brothers sickness and other stuff

Good luck whatever you do ..

I have a GF on the side and at first i treated her like gold, (deeply in love with her) then she started nagging me about some

different things (needed $$ for this, take me here etc) and i just blew up in her face and yelled "WE <deleted> SET (finish)! GET THE F OUT OF MY CONDO!" and i threw her out. She was in shock, she couldnt believe i did it.

Next day she calls me crying begging me to take her back, i missed so much and told her come back but stop jai lai. Since then she

Oooohhh, you are awful, but I like you.

It does remind me of a funny story though. There is a TG friend of mine who went out one night, met a farang and went back to his place to spend the night. He lived in a sparsely furnished studio flat. She felt rather sorry for him. So when she got up in the morning to make her escape she left Bt2000 next to his bed to help him out.

Maybe you can introduce her to GFL? Or on second thoughts...me! :)

RAZZ

Maybe you can introduce her to GFL? Or on second thoughts...me! :)

RAZZ

To be honest although I dont know you I would feel a bit guilty about recommending her to you.

She did once achieve the unique distinction of puking up in my car and my bed (purely a non-biblical arrangement) in the same night largely as a consequence of enjoying drinking vodka neat from the bottle.

She is quite amusing in that she knows how to tell idiots to <removed> off in a seemingly infinite number of ways but I dont think she is great value at Bt2000.

Thats all good and dandy Will, but the questions leaps out to me. Why has my girlfriend and many of my firends girlfriends been paying their fair share - rent - food - etc.

Am I the only person in Thailand who is being supported finacially by Thai women?

Your suggestion that all men must pay to have a Thai parner, whilst perhaps true in your own expereince, it is not the way things work here. It's simply bullshit that newbies lap up with pleasure.

There are 2 of us then?

I don't have to pay for anything if i don't want to my Thai wifey will sort it out from her own money generated from her accounts business and when we are out in a group for food, dancing whatever they always share at the end..no one even looks at me to pay.

I think you need to realize some of the realities of life in Thailand.

My GF is educated and intelligent, she has what I think would generally be regarded as a good job.

Her monthly salary though is Bt60,000/month. This does not indicate she is an undereducated moron or that she is being taken advantage of. In fact, it is a fairly decent salary by Thai standards.

Ocasionally someone might be supported by a Thai girl (I was once flown first class to the Maldives to stay at a TGs hotel) but it must be pretty rare. The fact that my GF currently earns a pittance means to me it is only fair that I pay the bill in a restaurant, her air flights and hotels bills when we go on holiday etc.. Considering her salary, if I was to expect her to pay half the restaurant bill, we would be reduced to eating at MacDonalds.

When a Group of Thai people go out to a restaurant or dancing, the 'phuyai' tends to pay. The fact that they dont even look at you to pay rather reflects that they have both a fairly lowly respect for your wealth and social standing.

I have a company that employees over 250 Thais. Only one earns over Bt250k a month and I can guarantee she doesnt go out with any of your friends (assuming they are male).

Simply put, on average a TG cannot afford to pay half the expenses of a relationship.

250,000 bht per month?? What kind of job do they have? My lady would like his phone #.

Oooohhh, you are awful, but I like you.

Yes, well the thing is that soidog hunter is correct.

Kindness and romance is seen as a weekness by many of the ladies over here.

How many Thai romantic poetess' are there?

None.

Foot down is the way forward.

:D:D:):D

You should be on stage! You're such a comedian!

You're having an affair and you threw your mistress out of the condo after swearing in her face and then when she phoned next day you told her to stop being bad ! :D

You must be a comical drunk....where do hang around i need to see you in action!

"WE <deleted> SET (finish)! GET THE F OUT OF MY CONDO!"

You're Thai is impecable along with your manners!

Posts seem to have been mixed up..I made this initial statement.

I'm not a phuyai when i go out with my Thai wife and her Thai friends male and female we are all equal... At the end the bill is shared amongst everyone.

This is normal for them and new style generation...

I have been around long enough to understand the Phuyai situation but friendship is different to business...

The phuyai thing is so yesterday for new generation Bangkok Thais who interact with farangs.