The Third Sex

Garry9999

"The ladyboy cabarets of Thailand are a leading tourist attraction but the glamorous and attractive men, who are now women, are a modern expression of an archaic attraction. The kathoey, the Thai term for ladyboys, have long been part of the cultural landscape of Thailand. Many communities acccept a "third sex", from Thailand and Samoa to American Indians and the Philippines. Only in the West has savage repression occurred. If the existence of a "third sex" is a universal property, is Western society so repressed by its cultural heritage that the Thais represent a norm in nature? Why are there so many kathoey in Thailand? Why are there so few in the Western world?"

Richard Totman

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are so many ladyboys in Thailand, because and foremost of the conservative educational system re moral issues here, and secondary because of the monetary circumstances, meaning, to work with foreigners in the night scene for instance and most of the "advertisings" are done with katoyes nowadays, because they are cheaper than women and a lot of to choose from.

Edited by Birdman

I have in the past years noticed several Farang Katoeys here as well , has anyone else seen them ?

Sure, it's paradise for them here, so they think. But in reality it's exactly the same situation like everywhere else in the bar scene.

I have in the past years noticed several Farang Katoeys here as well , has anyone else seen them ?

Saw one a couple months ago grocery shopping in Tops. Blond hair, massive breasts, and about 6 foot 4.

There are so many ladyboys in Thailand, because and foremost of the conservative educational system re moral issues here, and secondary of the monetary circumstances, meaning, to work with foreigners in the night scene.

You should probably try explaining that to the hundreds of thousands of Ladyboys in Thailand, especially the majority of them who do NOT work with foreigners in the night scene. :)

My goodness, just when I thought I had heard it all. Genetics doesnt even get a mention with you.

Anyway, there have been some excellent topics here on Thai visa about this very subject, as well as some quoted 'Factual' research. I won't go into any of it because last time I did one bright poster here accused me of having 'Gender Issues', which is a fairly funny thing to say to a full red blooded Aussie such as myself :D .

Sigh. Here we go again: cue closet ladyboy fanciers who want to talk about 'gay men' liking ladyboys. cue me reminding them that the ladyboy bars are in the straight entertainment districts. Repeat ad infinitum.

If we would speak about new issues only, it would be very quiet here. Because almost every issue was discussed already. But there will always be something new brought into discussions. And that's worth to have a positive attitude towards that.

Why don't we just cut to the chase and move this h'yar thread to ye olde gay subforum. Enjoy, gents.

Now you have got that wrong. People discussing matters in Thailand must not be involved in that matters.

There are so many ladyboys in Thailand, because and foremost of the conservative educational system re moral issues here, and secondary of the monetary circumstances, meaning, to work with foreigners in the night scene.

You should probably try explaining that to the hundreds of thousands of Ladyboys in Thailand, especially the majority of them who do NOT work with foreigners in the night scene. :)

My goodness, just when I thought I had heard it all. Genetics doesnt even get a mention with you.

Anyway, there have been some excellent topics here on Thai visa about this very subject, as well as some quoted 'Factual' research. I won't go into any of it because last time I did one bright poster here accused me of having 'Gender Issues', which is a fairly funny thing to say to a full red blooded Aussie such as myself :D .

Me too, but you embezzled the primary fact and that is the educational system at homes and schools and the general public here. Just look around you...

I've always wondered why so many straight western men have such a fascination for ladyboys and why the assumption that this is prevalent in Thailand or that somehow Thailand is odd for having it?

India has a well known 3rd gender, the Hijras, the Lakota Sioux and Blackfoot native Americans, Polynesia, etc etc. all had third genders. The list is long and rather varied and extends back to Mesopotamia, the Incas and more

"The ladyboy cabarets of Thailand are a leading tourist attraction but the glamorous and attractive men, who are now women, are a modern expression of an archaic attraction. The kathoey, the Thai term for ladyboys, have long been part of the cultural landscape of Thailand. Many communities acccept a "third sex", from Thailand and Samoa to American Indians and the Philippines. Only in the West has savage repression occurred. If the existence of a "third sex" is a universal property, is Western society so repressed by its cultural heritage that the Thais represent a norm in nature? Why are there so many kathoey in Thailand? Why are there so few in the Western world?"

Richard Totman

:) ..are you a paid promotor or writer of this book, published in 2003 ?

Why do you use quotation marks and sign with totman, being the writer of this book ? :D

Are you the writer and "asking" for free publicity ? It sure looks like it.

LaoPo

I've always wondered why so many straight western men have such a fascination for ladyboys and why the assumption that this is prevalent in Thailand or that somehow Thailand is odd for having it?

I suspect because it's forbidden fruit if you'll pardon the expression :)

Anyway, there have been some excellent topics here on Thai visa about this very subject, as well as some quoted 'Factual' research. I won't go into any of it because last time I did one bright poster here accused me of having 'Gender Issues', which is a fairly funny thing to say to a full red blooded Aussie such as myself :) .

Excellent post. I see khatoey that I do not think are at all part of the commercial sex scene in Thailand. Those who think that's the only reality, unfortunately, limit serious discussion about a topic which should be of some importance.

What forum is best? We try to include GLBT issues here, but almost all ladyboy or 3rd gender discussions seem to revolve around the minority of LB's who rent their organs to straight men. Sports? Bikes in Thailand? Politics? Pets?

General Topics would be an appropriate parking place for this thread.

What forum is best? We try to include GLBT issues here, but almost all ladyboy or 3rd gender discussions seem to revolve around the minority of LB's who rent their organs to straight men. Sports? Bikes in Thailand? Politics? Pets?

...well, that's the question.....are straight men who date LB's or even live together (one or more TV members does/do), straight ?

Fascinating subject, katoeys.

But, I didn't receive an answer from the OP yet why the topic title of a/his book ends up here, promoting the same.

LaoPo

Gender issues. Third sex. Crickey! All men have a Y chromosome, thus all men have at least some feminine attributes.....there is no black or white, just the whole spectrum of shades of grey, from very light feminine men to dark grey masculinity.....Show me the man that is fully "black" with masculinity and I'll show you a man in denial.

:)

I'm not quite sure that your average ladyboy would be happy to be regarded as a pet.