Play Station 2 V's X-box

Wanraya

I'm going to splash out on a new games console this weekend which is the better buy PS2 or Microsoft's x-box.

I have used PS2 before and think it is superb but have no experience of the X-box.

Has anybody used both and if so which is the better buy?

I'm going to splash out on a new games console this weekend which is the better buy PS2 or Microsoft's x-box.

I have used PS2 before and think it is superb but have no experience of the X-box.

Has anybody used both and if so which is the better buy?

I think this thread will probably get moved. But anyway. I do like the Xbox. The PS2 is good also. If i was making the choice. Then i'd go for the Xbox. But there is many people on here who will disagree. PS2 Games are more widely available more so than XBOX in LOs. But this is changing. You can pick up games at both Pantip and Khaosan Rd. That i know of. I contemplated getting a games console. But thought about again and went for a suped up PC. Better games and graphics IMHO. Check out the internet, Pc forum for more details on similar threads.

I have a PS2 and a Gamecube. I wish now that I had bought an XBox instead of the PS2, as the only thing I use the PS2 for is movies and GTA. Much better graphics on the Xbox, and more games that interest me. The PS2 is not as advanced as the other 2 consoles, but it does have a really large library of games to choose from, and to be honest I don't think the other consoles look THAT much better. Basically you should look at what games are available and buy the one that has games that fit you better.

Or you could get a gamecube, and pay 2500B per game like I do...

Well, look at it this way: if you prefer a large variety of exciting games over staring at pretty graphics, do yourself a favor and avoid the Xbox. As others pointed out, it has an inferior choice of games when compared to the PS2. But if you are all ga-ga about jaggies, framerates and other specs, an XBox should make you happy.

Today's games and these top-of-the line consoles all churn out pretty impressive graphics. Don't let yourself be concerned about the "inferior" graphics of the PS2; it's not like a NES, lol. See it for yourself. Just check out some FFX or FFX-2 clips from the Internet.

Like DP 25, I have both a GameCube and a PS2. I played the Xbox at my friend's house. Personally, to me the controller feels like a large potato with handles. The PS2 controller is okay, and neither could come close to the GC controller, which feels as if molded into your hands.

I could have had an Xbox as well, but decided to use the same money on quality games for the other two consoles. Much better investment. :o

Best of luck.

Or you could get a gamecube, and pay 2500B per game like I do...

Lol, another hard-core gamer! :D

Edited by SiamJai

Is a UK PS2 compatible with Thai TV's and games?

They're compatible with Thai TV's along with the electricity supply. Don't know if there are any official games in Thailand, but for imports and copies you'll need to get the console chipped. Not hard to find somewhere to do that.

Edited by konangrit

I am right in thinking that you can buy copy games for the X box here? How much does the x box cost here? I went to MBK yesterday and was quoted 8300 for the new small PS2, two contollers and 5 games.... Good deal?

Yes you can get games for the XBOX at Pantip, Fortune and KSR road that i know of. I think the XBOX is around 10K. Have a look in the Internet, Pc forum for more details on this.

Wouldn't waste my money on either the XBox or PS2.

Get the Nintendo Gamecube. With franchises like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid Prime which outsell any games produced by the other 2 consoles. Yes, games are more expensive but worth it and at the higher cost you will be more inclined to finsih the game. Trust me Nintendo is the only console to buy.

Get the Nintendo Gamecube.  With franchises like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid Prime which outsell any games produced by the other 2 consoles.  Yes, games are more expensive but worth it and at the higher cost you will be more inclined to finsih the game.  Trust me Nintendo is the only console to buy.

Games are hugely more expensive and generally aimed more towards children than PS2 or X-Box games. Take the games you mention above as a prime example.

I also like the GameCube, and the trusted quality of games was a major factor in my decision to get one.

Games are hugely more expensive and generally aimed more towards children than PS2 or X-Box games. Take the games you mention above as a prime example.

I disagree. First, the cost of games is very relative. An unpopular Xbox game could be cheaper than a popular PS2 or GameCube game. Also, it depends on where you buy it, and on whether you buy the original or just a bootleg copy, etc.

Second, the "Nintendo is for little kids" argument is old as dirt, and based on nothing more than fanboy rant. You say that Metroid Prime is an example of a game meant for children - I don't think so. BTW, have you heard of GC game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? How about the Resident Evil series?

Sure, the GC has its share of kiddy games. And so do all other consoles ever made. Given the huge library of PS2 games, I could compose a long list of kiddy games and make the PS2 look like a console geared towards children. But it isn't. Neither is the Gamecube. Consoles are geared towards gamers.

(slightly OT here: Turok, which one of the T-series did you like the most? My favorite was Seeds of Evil.)

Get the Nintendo Gamecube.  With franchises like Mario, Legend of Zelda, and Metroid Prime which outsell any games produced by the other 2 consoles.  Yes, games are more expensive but worth it and at the higher cost you will be more inclined to finsih the game.  Trust me Nintendo is the only console to buy.

I have a PS2 and its fine, not a hardcore gamer though.

If watching DVD's on it be careful as they PS2 is not multi region - or certainly the one i have from the UK isnt.

Have to disagree with you on this one. Nintendo certainly produces games that appeal to all generations. Zelda is still around and is a top seller year after year. GTA doesnt stand a chance against a Zelda game and Link rules! Samus Aran of Metroid Prime will make a mess of the likes of Master Chief and Halo. And as far as a video game character with class, Mario rocks and no character is more fun to play than Mario and his whole crew.

It comes down to games. If you want endless WWII simulation games, Final Fantasy till your blue in the face, or those silly FIFA and Winning Eleven Soccer games definately go PS2. The Thais will like you cause they only like soccer games as they dont have to think strategy. PS2 produces these by the boat loads. XBox is only good for one game and that is Halo. Everything else you can get on the PS2.

But for quality of games that challenge and frustrate you with excellent controls the Gamecube wins handsdown. Anybody who has been around video games will tell you that Nintendo is just more fun to play with and it makes a paryty as most games are 4 players.

Oh... My favorite Turok game.. simple... from the N64 - Turok, Dinosaur Hunter.

This game made me so dizzy playing that I kept a barf bag handy!! Oh those were the days! And the purlins jumping out of the walls made me run for cover. Awesome stuff.

A list of must have Gamecube games. Here's mine:

1. Metroid Prime

2. Super Smash Bros. Melee

3. Soul Calibur II with Link

4. The Legend of Zelda Windwaker

5. Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem

6. Mario Golf

7. Animal Crossing

8. Viewtiful Joe

9. Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

10. Super Mario Sunshine

Have to disagree with you on this one.  Nintendo certainly produces games that appeal to all generations.  Zelda is still around and is a top seller year after year.  GTA doesnt stand a chance against a Zelda game and Link rules!

I'm a Nintendo fan and have my N64 with me still, but no Zelda does not outsell GTA! I think GTA is THE biggest selling game EVER ain't it?

Every platform has at least a few 'must have' games! Personally pound for pound the PS2 to me (here due to cheapo games and the wide range of them) is the best to get, although in an ideal world you'd have all three!

The Eye Toy thing it pretty good fun on it as well!

Zelda franchise has been around a lot longer than GTA so they have definately sold more games. Best selling game of all time? According to the Almanac..... Super Mario Bros.3 for the NES. You can check this out on the Internet.

But, each console like you said "Has its must haves!" I just think Nintendo has more.

Man, I wish I still had an N64. The Legend of Zelda of Ocarina of Time made miss sleep for nites on end. Fortunately, I have it on the Gamecube. Oh.... I miss the shootouts with my buddies playing Goldeneye. Definatelythe game all other FPS are based on and its 4 player is still the best. Everything else is a cheap copy.

Would love to start a Nintendo Gamecube Club. Any takers?

Zelda franchise has been around a lot longer than GTA so they have definately sold more games.

You mean game series then, not game per se!

Best selling game of all time?  According to the Almanac..... Super Mario Bros.3 for the NES.  You can check this out on the Internet.
I'm sure you're right but that's more to do with there being less competition and platforms then, less games as well (he says trying to get out of it).

Although GTA Vice City (from the looks of it) is THE biggest selling single game out of the PS2, X-Box and GC, by a fair bit! It's even sold more than Mario 64!

http://www.the-magicbox.com/Chart-USPlatinum.shtml

But, each console like you said "Has its must haves!"  I just think Nintendo has more.

I don't know, I'm sure for every good GC, I could name a good PS2 game. I just got peed off with Nintendo as they didn't seem to get some of the A list titles the Playstation gets! Also at a 100 Baht a game here you can't really go wrong. But I would love to have GC, I found when a Nintendo game is good, it's really good! I have around 600-700 PS2 games but only really play a few of them.

Good sites to compare and contrast games:

http://www.gamerankings.com

http://www.gamefaqs.com

(apologies if I shouldn't link to these!).

Man, I wish I still had an N64.  The Legend of Zelda of Ocarina of Time made miss sleep for nites on end.  Fortunately, I have it on the Gamecube.  Oh.... I miss the shootouts with my buddies playing Goldeneye.  Definatelythe game all other FPS are based on and its 4 player is still the best.  Everything else is a cheap copy.

Would love to start a Nintendo Gamecube Club.  Any takers?

TimeSplitters 2 (and TimeSplitters 3 will be out soon) made by some of the same people (from Rare) that made Goldeneye and it's pretty good. I've got Perfect Dark for my N64 here (again made by the same people that made Goldeneye!).

Edited by kenkannif

Well.... I can only name GTA as a must have from the PS2. Yes the games are cheaper but I have also got plenty of bad copies that I just tossed. And, I agree with teh cheap price you tend not to finish the games. I have a PS2 and tons of games I never even opened.

When Nintendo makes a good game it is as you said"Really Good". I have also got some real stinkers from them also. But, was totally blown away by Metroid Prime as were most of the people who got that game. And, I cant think of a better 4 person fighter than Super Smash Bros Melee. Time Splitters 3 is on the "buy" list as well as MArio Baseball and the new Zelda game. They got some good titles coming out

Now N64 games were awesome. Never played Perfect Dark. Goldeneye is still the best mission based game created. And when I finished the Ocarina of Time, I had tears in my eyes. Nothing captured me as that game did. GTA is not even close.

Keep the conversation about video games going.

I also like the GameCube, and the trusted quality of games was a major factor in my decision to get one.

I disagree. First, the cost of games is very relative. An unpopular Xbox game could be cheaper than a popular PS2 or GameCube game. Also, it depends on where you buy it, and on whether you buy the original or just a bootleg copy, etc.

Second, the "Nintendo is for little kids" argument is old as dirt, and based on nothing more than fanboy rant. You say that Metroid Prime is an example of a game meant for children - I don't think so. BTW, have you heard of GC game called Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem? How about the Resident Evil series?

Sure, the GC has its share of kiddy games. And so do all other consoles ever made. Given the huge library of PS2 games, I could compose a long list of kiddy games and make the PS2 look like a console geared towards children. But it isn't. Neither is the Gamecube. Consoles are geared towards gamers.

(slightly OT here: Turok, which one of the T-series did you like the most? My favorite was Seeds of Evil.)

The vast majority of games sold in Thailand are bootleg copies, this is what I was refering to in price. I must admit to not knowing whether or not bootleg gamecube games are widely available in Thailand, if they are, then what price do they go for?

I do think that a higher percentage of gamecube games are aimed at a younger market than PS2 or X-Box. My comments on the mentioned games were really aimed at the first two. The Mario games are rated at 3+ in Europe, and Legend of Zelda Windwalker is rated as 3+. Metroid Prime is rated 12+, hardly x-rated.

This game made me so dizzy playing that I kept a barf bag handy!!  Oh those were the days!  And the purlins jumping out of the walls made me run for cover.  Awesome stuff.

A list of must have Gamecube games.  Here's mine:

1.  Metroid Prime

2.  Super Smash Bros. Melee

3.  Soul Calibur II with Link

4.  The Legend of Zelda Windwaker

5.  Eternal Darkness:  Sanity's Requiem

6.  Mario Golf

7.  Animal Crossing

8.  Viewtiful Joe

9.  Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

10. Super Mario Sunshine

I cannot fathom how you can leave Mario Kart DD and Resident Evil 4 off of your list.

4 player Mario Kart and a bunch of beer is some of the most fun you can have. As for Resident Evil, a lot of my friends back home have walked into gaming stores and seen it, and ended up walking out with a cube and a copy of RE4. It's really a must have if you own a gamecube imo. Ikaruga is also really good, but to be honest, it's just too hard for me.

The vast majority of games sold in Thailand are bootleg copies, this is what I was refering to in price. I must admit to not knowing whether or not bootleg gamecube games are widely available in Thailand, if they are, then what price do they go for?

I do think that a higher percentage of gamecube games are aimed at a younger market than PS2 or X-Box. My comments on the mentioned games were really aimed at the first two. The Mario games are rated at 3+ in Europe, and Legend of Zelda Windwalker is rated as 3+. Metroid Prime is rated 12+, hardly x-rated.

No, bootleg GC copies are not available, and the games are more expensive here than they are at home. Nintendo didn't use DVDs for their console, so no one bothered bootleggings their games as it would be too expensive.

As for kiddy games, maybe it has a bit higher percentage than other consoles, but really games like Metroid Prime, Zelda, Mario Kart etc are aimed at all gamers. And, actually, they tone down RE4 in some markets, even in Japan, due to violence.

No, bootleg GC copies are not available, and the games are more expensive here than they are at home.  Nintendo didn't use DVDs for their console, so no one bothered bootleggings their games as it would be too expensive.

Way back in the late 80s, when I had a Sega Master System, a Vietnamese friend of mines' father used to bring me back copied cartridges from his stop-overs in Hong Kong. I was quite surprised the first time I saw them, as I didn't think it was possible to pirate cartridges for cheaper than the originals. They were actually better than the originals as they had 2 full games per cartridge. Later, as I progressed through the Sega Megadrive (Genesis in the US) and onto an imported super Famicom (later renamed as the Super Nintendo in the US and Europe) I managed to get my hands ond a Super magicom, again, from Hong Kong. This ingenious device plugged into the cartridge slot and allowed games to be copied to floppy disk. I hear other backup devices became available for most cartridge based consoles, even the N64.

The point to all my rambling is that I'd be very surprised if bootlegs aren't available in Hong Kong, as they truly are masters of console game copying. Maybe someone who lives there or has been recently can confirm.

Whilst on the subject of classic consoles, my favourite of all time was a PC Engine GT (Turbo Express in the US) I managed to get my hands on. PC Engine graphics were well ahead of any other 8-Bit console at the time,even holding it's own against the Megadrive, and looked even better on a hand held. Unfortunately NEC never released it or any of it's standard configurations in the UK, and my imported one was the only one I ever saw. Any other gamers here played or owned a PC Engine (TurboGrafx-16 in the US)? They really had a thing for changing the consoles' name depending on the region back in those days. :o

I had RE4 but just found it not as much fun as the other adventure games. Thought Eternal Darkness was more clever. The insanity meter was a riot and they did such a good job with that. I played through it but I just wasn't as enthralled as I was when I played Metroid Prime. Guess I am just into the character games.

Thanks for the recommendation on Mario Kart DD. I will pick that one up. I got the MArio Tennis and that is excellent 4 person competition with great controls and you can have some serious arguments on how to cover the court. I heard about that Ikaruga game but wasnt sure. That is a true Japanese style game. Still, the bonus disc that I have with Ocarina of Time Majoras MAsk and some of the classic Zelda games gets its fair share of play.

About price, a GameCube game is cheap. Consider 3 buddies coming over with some pizza and beer( they supply the refreshments) and siiting around and getting into some serious SSBM action, or NFL Blitz, or NFL Strret 3, MArio KArt DD.... Certainly the 2500 baht price tag of the game is worth it. You could easily spend that going out at nite. Give me a group who love to game any day versus a nite out in Bangkok. The laughs are well worth it. Laughter is the best remedy for a week of work.

Yeah, Dinosaur Hunter was fun! It's not my fav only due to the lack of multiplayer, and weapons like the Cerebral Bore and the Chestburster.
Man, I wish I still had an N64.
Me too! Well, I do have one -sorta. Except that it's collecting dust in the attic of an old American house, while I'm in Thailand. Great games, great memories... nowadays I just try to re-live them by playing N64 games on my laptop, but it's just not the same.
The Legend of Zelda of Ocarina of Time made miss sleep for nites on end.
. Yes, same here! What about Majora's Mask? I think it was pretty good too.
I've got Perfect Dark for my N64 here (again made by the same people that made Goldeneye!).

Perfect Dark was awesome! It really shines especially in the multiplayer. My friends and I spent endless hours of fun with this game. Rare really knows how to make a good game.

Speaking of Rare, I'm surprised to see that no-one mentioned Conker's Bad Fur Day - one of the most hilarious games I've ever played! It's a timeless classic, IMO.

Turok, I see your GC-list includes Animal Crossing, which I think was really good, but underappreciated due to its design. Good to see that someone else also saw through the looks and saw the real gem that it is. :o

However, I find it strange that you didn't include Starfox Adventures: Dinosaur Planet in the list - especially considering that it is very similar to Legend of Zelda: OoT in many aspects. Also, it's a game by Rare - can't go wrong with that! :D

I cant think of a better 4 person fighter than Super Smash Bros Melee.
Yes, it is really good. Which one is your fav character? Let me guess: Link? :D
The Mario games are rated at 3+ in Europe, and Legend of Zelda Windwalker is rated as 3+. Metroid Prime is rated 12+, hardly x-rated.

These are the lower limits. That's what the + sign stands for. Everyone from that age up can safely play the game.

When I talk about "kiddie games", I don't mean the ESRB rating. IMO a game is geared towards children when its gameplay/storyline only interest children. The Teletubbies would be a good example of a kiddie game.

From this definition you can also see that an ESRB "mature" game is not necessary geared towards mature gamers. There are plenty of games out there that only satisfy the interests of teen adult-wannabees, therefore carrying the M- or X- rating. To real gamers, such pieces of software would be merely a waste of money - IMO.

Nintendo didn't use DVDs for their console, so no one bothered bootleggings their games as it would be too expensive.
It's not the hardware that's a problem. I have a few of those writable miniature disks that fit into the GC perfectly. AFAIK the problem is that they use a proprietary writing method, different from the way traditional burners record data. However, as konangrit said, the format has been probably cracked already. I don't have any bootleg GC or PS2 games, so can't talk from experience. :D
The insanity meter was a riot and they did such a good job with that.

Yepper. It was truly ingenious - and downright creepy at times.

Did anyone here play Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine for the N64? It was not available for retail, only for rent, so I had to get one from ebay. Rarest game I ever owned. :D

Edited by SiamJai

Well if we're talking N64 games, one has to include Banjo KAzooie. Also from Rare. Played that game right down to the microchip.

Even though I have the new NBA Street 3, I miss the simplicity of games like NBA JAm (NES) and NFL Blitz. When I had the N64, my buddy and I had would have such severe competitions in NFL Blitz that he wouldnt talk to me the next day. I ended up winning with 95 yard field goals! Pissed him right off. Games like NHL Hitz and NFL Blitz 2003 are close.

Yes, Star Fox for the Gamecube was excellent. The new one not so good. I enjoy the long adventure games. Animal Crossing had me hooked. I would rush home to see what I had to do and what else I could find and who mailed me. I even worked hard to pay off my "Bells" that I owed on my house! I hated having that debt hanging over my head. I had fruit trees everywhere and dug for fossils all day. It is a great game which I still play today. And, the fishing was cool. Animal Crossing 2 is o must have. I can't wait

SSBM - Favorite character has to be DK. He has great grabbing ability and I love to hang on to someone as I commit "suicide". Jumping off the edge of the platform with them flailing away. Also like Pikachu.

Eternal Darkness scared the crap out of me. I have never been more freaked out by the sound of pounding doors and the ring of a telephone or footsteps. Truly great. And the insanity with messages that your Gamecube has malfunctioned were convincing. I have yet to finish the game and am slowily chipping away at it. This game needs to be played with the lights on.

Super Monkey Ball 2 is a great party game as well as Wario Ware. PS2 just doesnt have these type of games. The 4 person action is what makes the Gamecube different. I mean what can you say about 4 people battling it out in SSBM. The other consoles just don't have this.

MArio Golf is fun and can get real competitive with some drinking games and small money being bet. In my opinion, better than Tiger Woods.

Trying to think of my toughest boss fight.... It has to be the rock monster in Metroid Prime. Took me weeks to figure him out. The Boost Guardian in Metroid 2 is also a tough fight which cost me a joystick. What do you think? Metroid Prime 2 was just plain hard and long. But, that is Metroid for you.

Best opening sequence for a game. Well SSBM is awesome. Seeing all of those characters lined up in a row brings back great memories. Soul Calibur II has a great beat and when Link raises his word in the opening you know he is going to kick some butt in the game.