Penang Made Easy

I am sorry it has taking me so long to post this message but thought it should be mentioned so as to help the budget visa runners.

Went to Penang early last month, took Air Asia from Bangkok to Hat Yai and spent one night in HatYai at the Kings hotel (400 BAHT a night) Good hotel and close to shopping and entertainment.

Took a van the next day for 200 Baht from HatYai to Penang.

Arrived in Penang and stayed at the E&A Budget hotel on Chulia street. Nothing at all in the rooms. Not recomended by me.

Across the street is Jims Place ran by Jim Tachinamurthy, very good person and will take care of anything you need done while there. He has five rooms 4 are fan rooms and 1 is A/C cost is 20 ringit for fan and 30 ringit for A/C. Very clean and like I said Jim is good to go!

I also gave Jim a SIM Card so that if you need to borrow it he will give it to you and all you have to do is refill it (Like 1-2-call in Thailand) and you can put this SIM Card in your phone and talk International and to Thailand very cheap. This is good to have since you will most likely be in Penng for two or three days.

Not alot to do in Penng but this was my fourth visit so I still had an ok time.

Need any other info then by all means let me know. I can only tell you what I experienced on this pst trip. It was good to go.

Not trying to sell Jim's Place or nothing but he seems to be a good man to get things sorted out for you and he will bend over backwards to accomadate you.

Emil: [email protected] and phone number is 04-2642960 N0.431 Chulia Street Penng.

KHUNDAN SENDS

wasn't it easier to fly directly to Penang - or you wanted to spend time in Hatyai ?

reagarding not having much to do in Penang - let me disagree. if you rent a motorbike from one of many shops on the same Chulia street - you can visit SOOOOOO many places. trust me ! I've been living in Penang for big periods of time since '99 - well, at least had enough to see most if not all the places. surely Penang has much more to see and to do than , say, Bangkok, or especially Hatyai ! in terms that it is an island and has few more or less ok beaches, hills, waterfalls, lot of historical places and other tourist attractions - as well as city life like movies, shopping etc.

wasn't it easier to fly directly to Penang  - or you wanted to spend time in Hatyai ?

reagarding not having much to do in Penang - let me disagree. if you rent a motorbike from one of many shops on the same Chulia street - you can visit SOOOOOO many places. trust me ! I've been living in Penang for  big periods of time since '99 - well, at least had enough to see most if not all the places. surely Penang has much more to see and to do than , say, Bangkok, or especially Hatyai ! in terms that it is an island and has few more or less ok beaches, hills, waterfalls, lot of historical places and other tourist attractions - as well as city life like movies, shopping etc.

yes i agree have flown to penang for visa and a few days there was a sheer pleasure ...not sure wht the attractins are in hat yai as i spent one night there and was glad to leave!!

• 2 months later...
wasn't it easier to fly directly to Penang  - or you wanted to spend time in Hatyai ?

reagarding not having much to do in Penang - let me disagree. if you rent a motorbike from one of many shops on the same Chulia street - you can visit SOOOOOO many places. trust me ! I've been living in Penang for  big periods of time since '99 - well, at least had enough to see most if not all the places. surely Penang has much more to see and to do than , say, Bangkok, or especially Hatyai ! in terms that it is an island and has few more or less ok beaches, hills, waterfalls, lot of historical places and other tourist attractions - as well as city life like movies, shopping etc.

I agree with you, but most of the foreigners going to Penang for visa run hate it, maybe short minded... and because they cannot find a one-night-sexy-Trak for 1000 baht...

But actually penang is a nice place (except the dirty sea there), where you can breath and speak with educated people speaking english correctly...

<<But actually penang is a nice place (except the dirty sea there), where you can breath and speak with educated people speaking english correctly...>>

For some reason, I'm lauging my A$$ off!

yes Penang is indeed a VERY NICE place......maybe people who go for the 1000-Baht-shorttimer or ned a lot of drugs and alcohol may find it uncomfortable.....and hopefully these people will stay away from that island......and yes, the people are educated there indeed.....meanwhile, I got a lot of friends there....was there several times, just 2 weeks ago for another 5 days, rent a car and go anywhere in the island, at small places, so lovely.....not to forget Penang Hill......did the same at Phuket in february, 350 km in 4 days, u cannot compare both islands, but both are nice in its very own way.....and to compare Penang with a pathetic place such as Hat Yai is 1000% ridiculuous.....

Penang was my first port of call in Asia 15 years ago. I thought it was paradise. That of course was before I had been to any where else. It was also about the only place that you could do a visa run to back then, Laos; Cambodia etc were all very closed. The Penang run was it! This might be why many longer dwellers from Thailand hate the place, it wasn't a choice thing, you had to go to Penang or fly out to further afield. I don’t mind Penang, but I only go there because it is the least hassle for getting your visa sorted. It is not some where I would choose to go to every 6 months if I didn’t have to, but then I must have been there 20 or so times by now.

I like Vientiane far better, but the visa service there can be questionable at best so I will be in Penang again in a week or so.

My opinion of Penang is that it is a toilet. People cut down Thailand because of the nice ladies here. I think that is a disgrace. Most of the people on this forum love Thailand and that's why they are here. I don't quite know why the Penang worshippers torture themselves by living in this country. Next time you're in Penang, don't forget to flush

I've been visiting Penang for nearly 18 years,its a nice break for a couple of days from Thailand.Great Indian food is one good reason.Much cheaper copy movies and software,very friendly people.

I would not want to live their,but toilet,I don't think so.

Went to Penang early last month, took Air Asia from Bangkok to Hat Yai and spent one night in HatYai at the Kings hotel (400 BAHT a night) Good hotel and close to shopping and entertainment.

Took a van the next day for 200 Baht from HatYai to Penang.

Arrived in Penang and stayed at the E&A Budget hotel on Chulia street. Nothing at all in the rooms. Not recomended by me.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and stayed at the very same place. What do you want in your room? I had a bed , toilet, shower, fan, table and chairs. For 30 RM thats not too bad. Trust me i looked at a few others places for the same price. IT was clean and relatively new. Also why not fly to Penang? Are you trying to save a few hundred baht?
I agree with you, but most of the foreigners going to Penang for visa run hate it, maybe short minded... and because they cannot find a one-night-sexy-Trak for 1000 baht...

&lt;deleted&gt; is a is a trak. I take it its a pro. I am married and have no desire to go with a pro. Yes Penang can be a bit boring. But it depends what you make of it.

I've been visiting Penang for nearly 18 years,its a nice break for a couple of days from Thailand.Great Indian food is one good reason.Much cheaper copy movies and software,very friendly people.

I would not want to live their,but toilet,I don't think so.

I have to agree with this. Penang isnt for everyone. Yes it can be boring but it beats going to Vientienne. Now thats boring. Unless you like Temples.IMO

Edited by Jockstar

and speak with educated people speaking english correctly...

D'accord, mon vieux.

I am no English language imperialist, but the ability of the lowliest Malaysian to hold a conversation in more-or-less fluent English is the reason why its tourist industry will prosper. Perhaps to the detriment of Thailand's.

Scouse.

The old Chinese, French and British architecture alone is a good reason to visit. It has an old world Asian feel that Bangkok has almost lost. Penang is a wonderful place, but after visiting 20 odd times for visa runs it gets tiring. I haven't been for a long time, so it would be a pleasure if I went now.

A friend is going to Penang next week to get a visa- wants to do the trip as cheap as possible, and needs some info about taxis. Although I have been to Penang a few times, I've always stayed at the Continental and had them provide visa service / transportation, so I can't advise her.

How much is a taxi ride (average) from airport to Chulia / Georgetown? Also interested to learn the taxi fare to the Thai consulate. What should she expect to pay if a driver waits for her and brings her back?

If you guys who have just returned can shed some light on this- we would be grateful.

Incidentally- I think trak = teerak!

Edited by bino

How much is a taxi ride (average) from airport to Chulia / Georgetown? Also interested to learn the taxi fare to the Thai consulate. What should she expect to pay if a driver waits for her and brings her back?

Taxis from the airport operate on a prepaid coupon system. Fares went up in February 2005 and for all I know they may have increased again. When I was in Penang two months ago, a taxi was RM 35 to RM 40 into town from Bayan Lepas Airport.

I never visit the Thai consulate when I am in Penang so this is just a guess, but I would reckon that Chulia to the consulate by taxi is in the range of RM 12 to RM 15 these days.

Most of the people on this forum love Thailand and that's why they are here. I don't quite know why the Penang worshippers torture themselves by living in this country.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion on Penang but perhaps you would care to elaborate on why liking Penang and liking Thailand must be mutually exclusive.

Taxis from the airport operate on a prepaid coupon system. Fares went up in February 2005 and for all I know they may have increased again. When I was in Penang two months ago, a taxi was RM 35 to RM 40 into town from Bayan Lepas Airport.

I never visit the Thai consulate when I am in Penang so this is just a guess, but I would reckon that Chulia to the consulate by taxi is in the range of RM 12 to RM 15 these days.

They steeply increased the taxi price,it used to be 25 rinngets,so the trick is to do what you would in in Bangkok, go to departures and get a cab dropping someone off,they will gladly take 25 rinngets.

I wouldn't agree that Penang is a toilet, far from it. BUT, I would like to find a bar there with a clean western toilet. There hasn't been one since the Hong Kong Bar burned down. I'll be back there next month, does anyone if it has re-opened ?

Can't say I have seen enough of Penang to comment, I was only there briefly and stayed on Leboh Chulia both times. Was not very impressed with it, but then again, it did the trick for the visa.

Since I communicate in Thai without any problems I found it a hassle to go back to speaking slow, simple English with unsmiling people who did not seem to appreciate your efforts to be polite and friendly.

But I am sure there is a lot more to the place than what I saw in the brief time I was there.

I  wouldn't agree that Penang is a toilet, far from it.  BUT, I would like to find a bar there with a clean western toilet.  There hasn't been one since the Hong Kong Bar burned down.  I'll be back there next month, does anyone if it has re-opened ?

You gotta love it, Penang had a bright spot at one time. they had a clean western toilet in a bar. shame that place had to burn down. LOL

Penang - nice architecture and tropical surroundings. Shame about a lot of the people; in general unfriendly and unsmiling. Especially the Indians. It seems they have a chip on their shoulder with westerners. Or maybe it's just because I'm British. My girlfriend and I were walking down the street when we were overtaken by an Indian woman who spat on the ground right in front of where we were walking. Quite charming!

However, has great colonial architecture juxtaposed against modern concrete, souless tower blocks. With a litle imagination you could cast your mind back to gin and tonics and tiffins. But maybe I'm being a little too imperialistic here. A trip up Penang Hill on the Swiss built funicular train is a must. Perhaps take a bike ride around the lush jungle on top of the hill... The views are stunning.

We stayed at the Cititel Hotel at 160 ringit/night. Despite it's cleanliness the staff are sullen and unhelpful. We had the maid wanting to clean our room at 9.30am on day one and then the anti-pest contractor in to fumigate our room at 10am the next day. Surely they can do this when their guests have checked out...? Anyway, on our last day we left our bags in the care of reception whilst we killed some time before going to the airport. In the taxi my girlfriend noticed her mobile phone was missing from her bag. OK, perhaps she shouldn't have left it in there but this shouldn't happen in a hotel where you've just spent $100 :o . I'll stay in the place mentioned above next time!

To sum up, I think Penang is a beautiful place. However, coming from Thailand you will find many of the people, especially the Indians, in my opinion, to be quite agressive and unsmiling. You may feel that you are not really welcome there. But the visa service is pretty straightforward. Expect to pay 22 ringit return from Chulia to the Thai Embassy. And that includes the wait. My taxi driver, Mr Seng, a Chinese Penangite was a nice guy and very fair IMO. Find him outside the Cititel Hotel on Chulia. He drives a black taxi. The fee for the non-imm B visa application is 200RM. Watch out for people offering the visa service for 300RM. 100RM is worth 1000THB! Get a taxi and go to the embassy yourself. Remember to take 2 p/port photos with you.

They steeply increased the taxi price,it used to be 25 rinngets,so the trick is to do what you would in in Bangkok, go to departures and get a cab dropping someone off,they will gladly take 25 rinngets.

Even 20 ringitts is ok!

If they disagree tell them the bus is 2 ringitts only!

Can't say I have seen enough of Penang to comment, I was only there briefly and stayed on Leboh Chulia both times. Was not very impressed with it, but then again, it did the trick for the visa.

Chulia Street is sorta like a low-key Penang version of Khao San Road (to me anyway). You might want to try staying in a different area should you ever return.

ha ! if Penang is a toilet - than what to say about Hatyai or Bangkok ? :o

I always rent motorbike there and go everywhere. went with my wife to Penang Hill - so cool (literally !) there, fresh air, great views etc.

next visit - to the botanical garden, or farm ? it is between buttefly farm and fruit farm. we went up the trail which leads to Penang hill thru the rainforest - so nice experience.

this is only during last couple of short "visa run" visits. I don't even mention my local friends taking me to some places only locals know - like some fishing village with beach much cleaner than Batu Feringi and the amazingly nice waterfall not far from it (to wash off sea salt)...

go to Balik Pulau ("inner island") for a change .... I'ms sure very few visitors go there at all.

sure - many bad things can be said too. but then - more or less bad things can be named almost about any place in the world. nowhere is perfect.

I  wouldn't agree that Penang is a toilet, far from it.  BUT, I would like to find a bar there with a clean western toilet.  There hasn't been one since the Hong Kong Bar burned down.  I'll be back there next month, does anyone if it has re-opened ?

The Hong Kong bar has reopened,but its just an empty shell with a few tables to sit at,no bar.It looks like they had to start right from scratch,I'd guess they had no insurance.This was about 4 months ago.

Or maybe it's just because I'm British. My girlfriend and I were walking down the street when we were overtaken by an Indian woman who spat on the ground right in front of where we were walking. Quite charming!

There is nothing to do with British.... Old people in India has hatred towards any white people... In their POV all white people are uncivilised, who stole everything precious from india and raped their women, who dont cover their body and walk naked (2 piece), who sleeps with multiple partners.... there is a big list... no one can change it... Thats the way they are brought up and that will be with them till they die.... and most of the younger generation brought up in India shares the same theory but has a diff attitude.... spitting is quite common in north india, they always do that to make the indian roads beautiful... ohhh those colorful spits like a modern art masterpiece....

Penang - nice architecture and tropical surroundings. Shame about a lot of the people; in general unfriendly and unsmiling. Especially the Indians. It seems they have a chip on their shoulder with westerners. Or maybe it's just because I'm British. My girlfriend and I were walking down the street when we were overtaken by an Indian woman who spat on the ground right in front of where we were walking. Quite charming!

However, has great colonial architecture juxtaposed against modern concrete, souless tower blocks. With a litle imagination you could cast your mind back to gin and tonics and tiffins. But maybe I'm being a little too imperialistic here. A trip up Penang Hill on the Swiss built funicular train is a must. Perhaps take a bike ride around the lush jungle on top of the hill... The views are stunning.

We stayed at the Cititel Hotel at 160 ringit/night. Despite it's cleanliness the staff are sullen and unhelpful. We had the maid wanting to clean our room at 9.30am on day one and then the anti-pest contractor in to fumigate our room at 10am the next day. Surely they can do this when their guests have checked out...? Anyway, on our last day we left our bags in the care of reception whilst we killed some time before going to the airport. In the taxi my girlfriend noticed her mobile phone was missing from her bag. OK, perhaps she shouldn't have left it in there but this shouldn't happen in a hotel where you've just spent $100  :o . I'll stay in the place mentioned above next time!

To sum up, I think Penang is a beautiful place. However, coming from Thailand you will find many of the people, especially the Indians, in my opinion, to be quite agressive and unsmiling. You may feel that you are not really welcome there. But the visa service is pretty straightforward. Expect to pay 22 ringit return from Chulia to the Thai Embassy. And that includes the wait. My taxi driver, Mr Seng, a Chinese Penangite was a nice guy and very fair IMO. Find him outside the Cititel Hotel on Chulia. He drives a black taxi. The fee for the non-imm B visa application is 200RM. Watch out for people offering the visa service for 300RM. 100RM is worth 1000THB! Get a taxi and go to the embassy yourself. Remember to take 2 p/port photos with you.

I change my mind dude, the place aint no toilet, it is a sewer

• 1 month later...

Chulia Street is sorta like a low-key Penang version of Khao San Road (to me anyway). You might want to try staying in a different area should you ever return.

Ovenman's right, Chulia St is geared to the backpacker type. Next time visit Gurney Drive, on the northern outskirts of Georgetown. It's quite different from GT's Chinatown part.

gdrive105.jpg

Ovenman's right, Chulia St is geared to the backpacker type. Next time visit Gurney Drive, on the northern outskirts of Georgetown. It's quite different from GT's Chinatown part.

gdrive105.jpg

I've been to penang many times for visa runs. that gurney drive looks interesting. can you recommend any inexpensive places to stay in that area?

thanks.