Relocating To Thailand

Hanlie

Hi All

Our family will be moving to Bangkok in the next two months. Can you give me any tips of getting our move to Thailand without troubles. Tips on custom regulations, best moving companies ect ect ect would be greatly appreciated. (we are moving from South Africa)

tx

Hello, it is best to travel light as you can get almost anything in Thailand that you need. Maybe you will want to bring some sentimental things, but you will have less problems and headaches if you buy what you need in Thailand. Good luck to you and your family, and I hope you have a good life in the LOS. Cheers.

You mention you and your family, which implies to me that your wife is Thai. If so, and you plan to ship house hold goods,

ship them in your wife's name. She is allowed to bring in house hold goods, as long as she has been out of the country for at least a year. You are allowed to bring in House hold goods, if you have a retirement visa, either obtained in Thailand, or your home country prior to shipping your goods. If you ship in your name, you are allowed used items only, with the exception of Automobiles, and motor cycles. This is of course for duty free shipping, and if in your name, you only have six months from your last date of entry.

Barry

Have you every lived/visited Thailand for an extended period?

A two week holiday gives little idea of what is really involved

Moving to another country will be a tremendous cultural shock.

I suggest you take an extended holiday in Thailand before committing

to a full family move.

• 2 weeks later...