Is There Really A "mafia" On Samui?

:D

When the Samui cops find out the Bkk cops are coming down to bust the DVD shops, they call all the shops to warn them, then collect 10k from every one. Have also been told by a shop owner she pays a monthly fee to the cops here. Sounds pretty organised to me

:D:D:D Mafia,two or more punks too lazy to work :):D:D

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

answer is yes there is mafia in thailand. Maybe not the same style mafia as in the west or s. america but there is a thai style mafia and they operate and the way the thai's describe them. many mafia in the world all with there own style.

ya so? that does NOT= "innocent"...just like I said, so please explain your point. He was released, nothing more, nothing less, there was no finding by anyone that he was not guilty. He may have been and he many not have been.

OJ simopson was innocent , micheal jacko was innocent. so were the guilford 4 bombers were innocent. my mate banged up for mistaken identity was guilty. so ewass that man welcome to hel_l.

so innocent and guilty. make your own mindes up but u cannot speak out loud on something now one knows nothing about. we do what we can in life and the law dieceds our future.

ya so? that does NOT= "innocent"...just like I said, so please explain your point. He was released, nothing more, nothing less, there was no finding by anyone that he was not guilty. He may have been and he many not have been.

OJ simopson was innocent , micheal jacko was innocent. so were the guilford 4 bombers were innocent. my mate banged up for mistaken identity was guilty. so ewass that man welcome to hel_l.

so innocent and guilty. make your own mindes up but u cannot speak out loud on something now one knows nothing about. we do what we can in life and the law dieceds our future.

another completely unintelligible post by the BIGC :) ....but entertaining a bit, thanks :D

I suppose the closest thing to organised crime here is the police - they expect and collect protection money, are involved in the drug trade, scam and siphon money during their "normal" job. They are probably closely challenged by other government offices here - land dept, tessabaan etc. They are organised, and are involved at various levels in mischeif. After that you have the big families - they occasionally shoot one another over turf and opportunity issues, etc. Then there are the little guys. They just try to get what they can when they can. I don't think that any of these levels of "mafia" has anything to do with one another, and calling them organised might be a stretch but since these levels cover a huge stretch of the population, and come up in some way in everyday life it becomes expediant to simply refer to the "mafia". I suppose that is many people's way of saying here, "on the take" or something like that.

I suppose the closest thing to organised crime here is the police - they expect and collect protection money, are involved in the drug trade, scam and siphon money during their "normal" job. They are probably closely challenged by other government offices here - land dept, tessabaan etc. They are organised, and are involved at various levels in mischeif. After that you have the big families - they occasionally shoot one another over turf and opportunity issues, etc. Then there are the little guys. They just try to get what they can when they can. I don't think that any of these levels of "mafia" has anything to do with one another, and calling them organised might be a stretch but since these levels cover a huge stretch of the population, and come up in some way in everyday life it becomes expediant to simply refer to the "mafia". I suppose that is many people's way of saying here, "on the take" or something like that.

big, organized (somewhat), have power, etc...sounds very plausible...and the estate agencies and time-share scum here :)

many moons ago I lived in Lamia. I spoke to a farang owner of a well established pub there and he never got approached for protection money or anything like that. A good friend ran a pub in Chawang - also no protection money. But there is an element of thuggery around Samui like there is anywhere in the world.

I may be wrong. As far as I understand it the modern mafia arose in America due to prohabition. Booze was banned, speak easys opened and plans were put into operation to attack the american status quo. It had a strict structure, much like an army. The Thais in Ko Samui have adopted the word mafia. But like must western ideas they don't have the dedication to organise it.

Edited by Geekfreaklover

many moons ago I lived in Lamia. I spoke to a farang owner of a well established pub there and he never got approached for protection money or anything like that. A good friend ran a pub in Chawang - also no protection money. But there is an element of thuggery around Samui like there is anywhere in the world.

I may be wrong. As far as I understand it the modern mafia arose in America due to prohabition. Booze was banned, speak easys opened and plans were put into operation to attack the american status quo. It had a strict structure, much like an army. The Thais in Ko Samui have adopted the word mafia. But like must western ideas they don't have the dedication to organise it.

mafia was about before the alchol years in the u.s it only became organisied when don Luchiano set up a system which became organised crime. that was just america's style. Mafia came from the word cosanostra. which was developed in Sically an island in the south of Italy. Apparently it all started when the people whp wanted power bit like politician for the local village started to assinated their rivals. much like in samui and thialand. there was a Pui Yai assinated in Koh phangyan not so long ago. then people whould go for revenge

So samui is a bit like the origonal. Mafia in Sically dunno how to spell it. Samui is a small island which has came from normal famers to havin alot of power and busines to protect. obvously when people get rich and powerfull then someone will want a slice of the cake. problem that samui hs alot many cakes that people wnt slices out of

Edited by BigC