Retirement Extension Today At Suan Plu

I had a fast and painless experience with my retirement extension (800k based) at Suan Plu today. Arrived at 08:10, number 9 in line (seems I was lucky and got a queue number that was returned), processing started at 08:25, my number was called at 08:55. The process was quick, including the new photo taking and fingerprinting procedure. Obtaining a re-entry permit also proceeded well. Total time spent: 1 hour, 45 minutes, 30 minutes less than last year. I have to say that it seemed unusually quiet, many seats available. It started to get busy when I left - good that I'm an early riser :) .

So do we still bring a photo? This is the first I've heard of this new procedure. What is it?

The explanation contained in the link was too cryptic for me. Thanks.

"Photo"?? fingerprints????? me no savvy master? What country belong him?

From what I was told several weeks ago at Suan Plu you must still bring a completed T.M.7 with a photo glued on for your extension application to be processed. The Immigrations official also told me they were going to roll this out at all immigration offices by the end of this year. (Although with this being thailand, it could be many years before that actually happens). It has been used at Suan Plu since about the 20th of July, and is still in the testing phase.

The digital picture they take of you along with the exact same information from the extension form you brought is entered into the computer and yet another T.M.7 is printed which has the 'new' pic on the upper right hand corner. It is about the last thing you do in the extension process at the first desk you sat down at. Of course you still hafta go to a different desk for a few random initials, and a cursory check by another clerk when you're finished with the process just like always.

It didn't look like the fingerprints of your two index fingers appear anywhere on the form the Immigrations Officials print for you to sign.

They have the cameras and fingerprint scanners set up at every desk in Room 101 on both sides of the room. I guess it used both for business visas, and at the desks where they issue extensions of stay for retirement, marriage, etc. Sadly they don’t leave the digital cameras and tripods out overnite. This creates a lag in them setting up the equipment and actually starting to call numbers. I guess immigrations isn't as safe a place as one would expect if they’re afraid to leave the equipment out.

I'm coming up soon for my first extension of stay based on retirement, after having business visas for a few years. So today, I went and met with a paralegal at one of the big law firm/visa consulting outfits in BKK, who have been assisting me all along.

I can't vouch for the quality/accuracy of the advice I got from the paralegal there who will assist with/guide my extension case. But I can report what I was told by one of TV's major sponsors...

Here's a recap to the answers I received to some of my questions. If any of the TV experts out there know any details to be wrong, please do correct them, so everyone will have the right info.

Can I try to keep a copy of my original U.S. Embassy income certification letter, and re-use it in future years? No, they will take your original letter, and you'll need to get a new Embassy letter for each future year of extensions.

Do I need to bring actual pension statements and/or bank statements documenting my income, as stated in summary on the Embassy letter? For a retirement extension of stay, they don't normally ask to see such things. But you can bring them, just to be on the safe side.

Where will I go to apply for the extension? Not sure about the timing of the promised Immigration move from Suan Plu to Chang Wattana. Assume you'll go to Suan Plu unless told otherwise. In Bangkok, you'll always go to the main office, even if you live closer to some smaller immigration office such as Klong Toey... You won't ever go there.

Will Immigration want to see a printed map showing where I live? Yes, bring that. .

Will Immigration want to see some other evidence of residency such as a UBC bill. No, you don't need to bring anything else like that.

What about how to handle my future 90-day reporting requirements? Living in BKK, you can't do those by mail or online. You'll either need to go to the main Immigration office or have someone do it for you.

Can I get a work permit while on retirement extension of stay, as has been reported in the past in some cases in BKK? I don't think you can do that, but I'll confirm with my superior.

-------------------------------------------

Then, there is the package of documents that will be submitted, as follows:

--one page copy of my passport photo and title page

--one page copy of my non-immigrant visa stamp, my latest permission to stay stamp and my attached departure card

--one completed TM7 Application for Extension of Stay, a single two-sided sheet with a single 4x6 cm photo pasted on the back side.

--one completed and signed single-page "statement" document from Immigration, filled out with my name, address, date of entry, permission to stay date, and the type of extension requested.

--one completed and signed "acknowledgment of conditions to stay" document from Immigration.

--one printed map showing the location of my home in Thailand. I wrote my name and address beneath the map portion.

Then also...

--one TM8 Application for Re-Entry Permit, either single entry (1000 baht) or multiple entry (3800 baht), permitting you to leave Thailand without invalidating your extension of stay. This form also requires an additional 4x6 photo, and they had me add a second signature at the top margin of the front page along with my Thai mobile phone number.

And finally cash to pay at Immigration... I believe... 1,900 baht for the retirement extension, and 3,800 baht for the multiple use re-entry permit.

Boy, life in Thailand is fine... :)

1. Other offices have started to allow re-use of income letter for up to 3 years so I would have a copy and hope for the best. In the past Bangkok has required new original each year.

2. Bangkok does not normally require evidence of address - but other places sometime do.

3. You can do your 90 day reporting at the one stop service center next to Central Latphao as well as Suan Phlu.

4. They normally ask you to put your phone number on back side of the TM.7 form also.

Thanks Lop....for the critique... Seems that my paralegal guy was pretty close to being on the mark...

Hope the details and checklist of documents may be helpful to others trodding down the same path....

Sometimes, it's hard to find all the details and correct procedure on such things all summarized together in one post/place.

I'm coming up soon for my first extension of stay based on retirement, after having business visas for a few years. So today, I went and met with a paralegal at one of the big law firm/visa consulting outfits in BKK, who have been assisting me all along.

I can't vouch for the quality/accuracy of the advice I got from the paralegal there who will assist with/guide my extension case. But I can report what I was told by one of TV's major sponsors...

Here's a recap to the answers I received to some of my questions. If any of the TV experts out there know any details to be wrong, please do correct them, so everyone will have the right info.

Can I try to keep a copy of my original U.S. Embassy income certification letter, and re-use it in future years? No, they will take your original letter, and you'll need to get a new Embassy letter for each future year of extensions.

Do I need to bring actual pension statements and/or bank statements documenting my income, as stated in summary on the Embassy letter? For a retirement extension of stay, they don't normally ask to see such things. But you can bring them, just to be on the safe side.

Where will I go to apply for the extension? Not sure about the timing of the promised Immigration move from Suan Plu to Chang Wattana. Assume you'll go to Suan Plu unless told otherwise. In Bangkok, you'll always go to the main office, even if you live closer to some smaller immigration office such as Klong Toey... You won't ever go there.

Will Immigration want to see a printed map showing where I live? Yes, bring that. .

Will Immigration want to see some other evidence of residency such as a UBC bill. No, you don't need to bring anything else like that.

What about how to handle my future 90-day reporting requirements? Living in BKK, you can't do those by mail or online. You'll either need to go to the main Immigration office or have someone do it for you.

Can I get a work permit while on retirement extension of stay, as has been reported in the past in some cases in BKK? I don't think you can do that, but I'll confirm with my superior.

-------------------------------------------

Then, there is the package of documents that will be submitted, as follows:

--one page copy of my passport photo and title page

--one page copy of my non-immigrant visa stamp, my latest permission to stay stamp and my attached departure card

--one completed TM7 Application for Extension of Stay, a single two-sided sheet with a single 4x6 cm photo pasted on the back side.

--one completed and signed single-page "statement" document from Immigration, filled out with my name, address, date of entry, permission to stay date, and the type of extension requested.

--one completed and signed "acknowledgment of conditions to stay" document from Immigration.

--one printed map showing the location of my home in Thailand. I wrote my name and address beneath the map portion.

Then also...

--one TM8 Application for Re-Entry Permit, either single entry (1000 baht) or multiple entry (3800 baht), permitting you to leave Thailand without invalidating your extension of stay. This form also requires an additional 4x6 photo, and they had me add a second signature at the top margin of the front page along with my Thai mobile phone number.

And finally cash to pay at Immigration... I believe... 1,900 baht for the retirement extension, and 3,800 baht for the multiple use re-entry permit.

Boy, life in Thailand is fine... :)

I've never had trouble here in Bangkok getting an extension on my retirement visa. A few years ago I attached a map that I read on these pages was required and some of the ladies got a big laugh out of it. Last year I didn't bother with a map as none was really required. Now we are required to bring a map?

Well, my paralegal guy, who pretty much just does visa stuff, said yes. So it will be part of the package I'll bring in a week or so... Whether Immigration really would demand it... not sure if I'll be able to tell that day.... You'd only really know that if they DO demand it, and you don't have it.. :)

I do know, I've seen reports here on TV of a household location map being requested at times.... but whether by Suan Plu or other offices, can't say I'm sure...

I had a fast and painless experience with my retirement extension (800k based) at Suan Plu today. Arrived at 08:10, number 9 in line (seems I was lucky and got a queue number that was returned), processing started at 08:25, my number was called at 08:55. The process was quick, including the new photo taking and fingerprinting procedure. Obtaining a re-entry permit also proceeded well. Total time spent: 1 hour, 45 minutes, 30 minutes less than last year. I have to say that it seemed unusually quiet, many seats available. It started to get busy when I left - good that I'm an early riser :) .

My wife and I had a painless experience also in Jomtien. Got our ticket at 13:00 and left at 13:11! Picked up our passports the next day. So easy.

Dick

I just got back today from my visit to Suan Plu to convert my expiring B business visa to a new retirement based extension of stay...along with an added multiple entry re-entry permit...

The whole process for me took about a half hour...but I'll confess...for my first time going there, I hired a paralegal who knows the ropes very well...just to show me around down there (since I'd never been before) and help everything go smoothly...

Had all the paperworks and photos done in advance. He arrived early and got the line ticket... I arrived at 10...waited about a half hour...and then took another half hour for the retirement extension and separate re-entry permit process... Out by 11...

A couple of notes:

The immigration officers were using the new digital camera and photo taking system full-bore, as well as taking electronic images of both index fingers... but they're still wanting folks to bring the same print photos as in the past.

They did want to see a map showing the location of my home...

They did accept the U.S. Embassy proof of income letter, without asking for the backup bank statements that I was prepared to show them documenting sufficient monthly income...

Interestingly, I got called to a desk with a female officer who was polite and efficient...no problem... Afterward, my guide said we were good to get her, and not either of the male officers at desks 21 or 22 nearby... saying that those two (who apparently always staff the same desk/location) have a reputation for being very demanding and wanting to see and ask about everything...

I asked what we would have done if we had gotten called to 21 or 22... go ahead there...or go back and get another number for the line.. And my guide said no, we would have gone ahead to 21 or 22... Everything was in order and we had everything together fine... It just likely would have been a bit more of an inquisition... :)

I just got back today from my visit to Suan Plu to convert my expiring B business visa to a new retirement based extension of stay...along with an added multiple entry re-entry permit...

The whole process for me took about a half hour...but I'll confess...for my first time going there, I hired a paralegal who knows the ropes very well...just to show me around down there (since I'd never been before) and help everything go smoothly...

Had all the paperworks and photos done in advance. He arrived early and got the line ticket... I arrived at 10...waited about a half hour...and then took another half hour for the retirement extension and separate re-entry permit process... Out by 11...

A couple of notes:

The immigration officers were using the new digital camera and photo taking system full-bore, as well as taking electronic images of both index fingers... but they're still wanting folks to bring the same print photos as in the past.

They did want to see a map showing the location of my home...

They did accept the U.S. Embassy proof of income letter, without asking for the backup bank statements that I was prepared to show them documenting sufficient monthly income...

Interestingly, I got called to a desk with a female officer who was polite and efficient...no problem... Afterward, my guide said we were good to get her, and not either of the male officers at desks 21 or 22 nearby... saying that those two (who apparently always staff the same desk/location) have a reputation for being very demanding and wanting to see and ask about everything...

I asked what we would have done if we had gotten called to 21 or 22... go ahead there...or go back and get another number for the line.. And my guide said no, we would have gone ahead to 21 or 22... Everything was in order and we had everything together fine... It just likely would have been a bit more of an inquisition... :)

Thanks for your post. I'll be applying for retirement status in another nine months or so, so your comments are very helpful.

Over the past many months I've been following retirement entries and comments on Thai Visa and I was always a little concerned about the "letter from the Bank manager". I was under the impression that along with copies of your bank book, you had to submit a letter from the bank manager testifying to your account balance on pretty much the same day as you apply for the extension. I guess like many others, since my immigration office is a minimum three hour drive one way, I'm curious as to how much wiggle room the immigration will allow on that letter...a day, two days? Or indeed is the bank managers letter still part of the equation. Thanks again

The bank letter is required when using a bank account to qualify - poster used income letter from Embassy so it was not required.

Believe they will allow several days normally but may require you to obtain an ATM receipt that day to confirm the money is still in the account.

Oldguy, I did exactly the same as you...prior to moving here... And sometimes it's difficult to track and sort out all the different information that gets posted in different places/threads...and to understand what matters.

In this case, I think you are confusing two different things...in terms of my report above.

I satisfied the income requirement by showing immigration I had at least 65,000 baht per month in pension or other regular income (which can include almost anything, including interest earnings, etc.) If one takes that approach, then typically the only documentation that is required on that point is a verification letter from your embassy attesting to your amount of income. I am a U.S. citizen, so I know the U.S. Embassy process. You just have to swear under oath that XX is your income, nothing else. Other countries' embassies have their own procedures... Typically, especially in Bangkok, the Thai Immigration folks will simply accept those Embassy letters as the required proof. They do, however, retain the right to request backup documentation, although that tends to be rare, especially in retirement visas/extensions. In my case, they did the routine, which was just to accept the Embassy letter (even though I had the backup bank documents with me in case they asked.)

Separately, there is an entirely different way to satisfy the Thai immigration requirement relating to income, and that is the one you're alluding to below... Basically, to show proof you have at least 800,000 baht on deposit in a Thai bank. For the first time, you have to have it on deposit at least two months prior to your application. For all subsequent renewals/extensions, it needs to be on deposit for at least three months prior. (For the other months inbetween your renewals, you can do anything with the funds you like). If you take this route, that's when the letter from the Thai bank holding your funds and copies of the Thai bank book statements come into play...

And there's been a lot of advice here on TV about trying to have the bank letter be JUST before your immigration appointment. From what I've read here, I think a day or two before should be fine. But I'd try to not go beyond that. I believe folks have also talked about getting an ATM account balance receipt the day of their immigration appointment just to show the officer you're still keeping the required balance, even on that day. I've never used this income method, so I'm not as familiar with all the details of it as others.

PS - I've heard from some folks here that Immigration asked them to see copies of their Thai bank book, even when they were using the 65,000 baht per month method... Not looking to see they had 800,000 baht in the account, which of course they wouldn't be required to have. But apparently, just wanting to see they had some Thai banking relationship. So I brought one of my Thai bank books with me, and had it updated the day before with all my transaction activity for the past two years!!! But, of course, since I was relying on the 65,000 baht per month method, the Immigration officer at Suan Plu/Bangkok never asked or cared about my Thai bank account.

One other thing to note: although there certainly are national rules governing these things, many here have learned the hard way by now that different Immigration offices in different Thai cities do tend at times to impose their own unique interpretations of those rules. Everything I said above is consistent with the national rules. But given the geographic variations, you should know what office you'll be planning to use and pay close attention here on TV to any reports about whether that particular office may have some extra or different quirks....

Hope that helps...clarify things for you.

Over the past many months I've been following retirement entries and comments on Thai Visa and I was always a little concerned about the "letter from the Bank manager". I was under the impression that along with copies of your bank book, you had to submit a letter from the bank manager testifying to your account balance on pretty much the same day as you apply for the extension. I guess like many others, since my immigration office is a minimum three hour drive one way, I'm curious as to how much wiggle room the immigration will allow on that letter...a day, two days? Or indeed is the bank managers letter still part of the equation. Thanks again
Edited by jfchandler

Some immigration offices have been reported as wanting the letter the same day or the day before. Also a bank book updated on the date of application (stop at a bank on the way and get an update).

The same goes for the income letter because some will take one weeks old while others will want it to be dated just a few days before application (3 days at one).

Some immigration offices (Pattaya and Chiang Mai come to mind) want to see a bank book and letter as a back-up to the income letter.

So unless you are driving to Bangkok for your extension you cannot go completely by the info in this topic.

Edit: Some even want a medical certificate. (not required for years according to the rules).

Best advice is to check with the office where your are going to apply before making the trip.

Edited by ubonjoe

JFChandler and Lopburi, again thanks very much for the clarification...very easy to understand. I'm planning to use the split option of monthly income which requires the approval thing from the US Embassy, along with the supplemented funds from the bank account. I have no problem with the funds it's just that I'm trying to bend over backwards to make sure I don't have to make two or three visits to an immigration office that's 6 hours drive away (round trip) because they don't like the date on the letter. I'll continue to monitor TV and hope that all the posts are as clear and concise as yours. Many thanks!

Joe, are you saying the Pattaya and Chiang Mai immigration offices ask to see the Thai bank book and bank letter even when the applicant is relying on their Embassy letter to document at least 65,000 baht in monthly income? And do you mean always...or sometimes...at those locations?

If those offices are doing that, what exactly are they looking/expecting to find in the Thai bank letter and/or bank book??? I certainly hope they're not wanting to see an 800,000 balance, above and beyond proof of 65,000 per month!!!!

I meet the 65K requirement no problem. But that income never shows up in my Thai bank accounts. It's all earned and credited in my U.S. bank accounts, and then withdrawn here by ATM. I only use my Thai accounts here for paying routine utility and service bills...

Some immigration offices (Pattaya and Chiang Mai come to mind) want to see a bank book and letter as a back-up to the income letter.

Thanks too Ubonjoe, I agree with you. The safest way will be to confirm the requirements with the local office. I'd be happy to get a nearby hotel while this process is underway, but I've heard that the bank manager of the bank near the immigration office may not be happy to update the letter from the first bank. Again, I'm sure it will all work out....just trying to do the best I can to get my ducks in a row. Thanks for your response.

I asked yesterday about the timing of the long promised and long delayed move in BKK from Suan Plu to Chang Wattana... My guide said the latest report was they're now saying end of this September... But I wouldn't bet my pension on it...

Joe, are you saying the Pattaya and Chiang Mai immigration offices ask to see the Thai bank book and bank letter even when the applicant is relying on their Embassy letter to document at least 65,000 baht in monthly income? And do you mean always...or sometimes...at those locations?

If those offices are doing that, what exactly are they looking/expecting to find in the Thai bank letter and/or bank book??? I certainly hope they're not wanting to see an 800,000 balance, above and beyond proof of 65,000 per month!!!!

I meet the 65K requirement no problem. But that income never shows up in my Thai bank accounts. It's all earned and credited in my U.S. bank accounts, and then withdrawn here by ATM. I only use my Thai accounts here for paying routine utility and service bills...

According to many reports I have read they ask for it every time.

They just want to see some transfers in and some money in the bank.

There are a lot of people that got a rude surprise when they went for an extension and did not even have a Thai bank account when this was asked for.

I always recommend that people open a local bank account and make a few transfers into the account.

Yes Joe...absolutely agree about that...

I'm in BKK...not Pattaya or CM... But, I too had read those TV reports (though it wasn't clear to me from where) about people being asked by some Immigration offices to see their Thai bank books...apparently just to see that they had one/some and to see some funds on balance, and some transactions in and out.

That's why I brought mine yesterday to Suan Plu... better to be over-prepared, than to be caught short... I hate going down there one time... I sure don't want to go back a second time... And I live relatively nearby... not hours away.

Just to be clear, it was my FIRST visit to Suan Plu... My prior business visas had been obtained in the U.S. So this was my first time ever at Suan Plu...doing a retirement-based extension of stay.

I asked the same question myself of my paralegal guy... I didn't get much of an answer other than ... they want it... (I'm not sure all offices do, as things vary by location. But I'd put it into the category of, better to have and not need, than to be asked for it..and not have it. And of course, very easy to print yourself off a computer using Google Maps or similar.)

My guess would be... address numbering in Thailand (and especially BKK) is so bad as to be almost meaningless. At least around here, there is no progressive numbering to street addresses that allows one to know where a particular address is on a street. So adding a map with your location shows the immigration folks where you actually reside...

I asked a similar thing about the fingerprints... Once I did them this year, would that be the end, or would I have to do them again next year for each renewal?? And the answer was... do everything the same each successive year... more fingerprints... more copies of photos (unless they change the rules by then) and presumably another map.

For jfchandler: thanks for the trip report. These are always informative.

Question: why did Immo want to see a map of your residence during your latest visit to request an extension for retirement?

regards

TN

Some immigration offices have been reported as wanting the letter the same day or the day before. Also a bank book updated on the date of application (stop at a bank on the way and get an update).

But the passbook won't show which date it's updated, only the dates of the entries. So unless you already have entries from the same day, it might be a good idea to make sure your balance is "fresh" by depositing or taking out some money the day you go to the immigration office. Alternatively you can stop at an ATM and print out a balance statement.

Sophon

Every time I have had a bank letter written the bank has updated passbook with the current account balance at Bangkok Bank using the teller computer terminal. I can not believe other banks can not do this but have been told some can not.