Asbestos

walterego

I looked out the window of my second story staff room at a high school in E-ssarn 2 years ago and saw some students throwing rocks multiple times at the roof of a nearby toilet shed. To their joy the roof smashed beautifully if they could launch a big enough boulder at it!

I looked on about to tell them to stop but my horror was much greater when i realised the roof was asbestos.

i left the area immediatly and told the head thai teacher via telephone of the danger. (obviously I was very new to Thailand) they all thought i was completely mad.

I am very aware of the dangers of this product however over time I have tried ernestly to enlighten or discuss the matter with Thais with very little success. (only people I know extremely well have taken any notice at all and even then often/usually only to stop me ranting in a foreign language (english)). They are petrified of H1N1 lol but Asbestos particles at a high school 'mai pen rai'

As most of us are aware the product is everywhere.

Arguments Thais give me as to why Asbestos cannot be bad:

"Then why does our government let us use it?" (our all carring all knowing government)

"Why do only Farangs know about this and Thais not know?"

"oh how can it kill its on the roof"

"no no this is a school, school safe"

etc etc..

(basically 99.99% think that Asbestos is Wonderful! just like Australians in the 70s.... except most of those Asbestophiliacs are dead now)

It is really sad for children in thailand and perhaps your children in schools here where Asbestos is everywhere. (i have found Asbestos statistics in thailand (ie deaths etc) very hard to come by.) You can control movement of Asbestos in your property but you cant when tradesmen/vandals attend your school.

ok I ramble sorry.

My question is:

What sources (written in Thai by reputable thai experts.) can I find for them to read about Asbestos?

I cant even write Asbestos in Thai? how do you write it? so i can learn and they can ask questions themselves?

What other methods are available to educate thai people about the dangers of Asbestos?

Are there any international lobby groups that may finance a Thai language(and other asian areas where asbestos is rampant ie:cambodia) website information portal etc etc

I guess no more Asbestos in thailand would be ideal but unrealistic, they cannot afford new roofs, education abouts its dangers and handling etc are more important at this stage ideas?

What do others do about asbestos?

What are your experiences when discussing this matter with Thais? (unfortunatly my Thai is limited to basic needs so i cannot discuss specific subjects in depth.......... yet).

Edited by walterego

You may like to look at this link;

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Asbestos-t10...amp;hl=asbestos

Also, using the forum search engine, type "asbestos" (without the inverted commas) in the "search by keywords" box.

Yep thanks a lot I have read most of the other posts (I say most just in case by accident I missed something). There was some very interesting information. However I didnt find anything that was useful to people who dont speak English or cant read a English website or dont trust foreigners over their own word of mouth or whatever sources of information. There was one or two posts regarding boycoting accomodation with Asbestos products ... very useful I like it... (thanks whoever posted that) but incredibly difficult (sometimes)as other options are often not always available and wether the Thai landlord owner has the realisation as to why you are not taking the room/house etc and actually believes your reasoning is a different matter. (however I support that idea when possible 100%) I did find one lobby group link whom i have contacted (thanks whoever posted that also) I will endeavour harder to find those groups through other sources I think maybe be better (but if you know them let me know)

However yes the other threads are extremely informative. Thanks.

Any help with the querys would be great thanks.

Edited by walterego

A few sites explaining asbestos and Mesothelioma.

http://www.scumdoctor.com/Thai/medicine/da...nt-Lawsuit.html

http://www.th.articlesphere.com/Category/L...ma-Asbestos/270

Asbestos & lung mesothelioma

The Thai word for asbestos is แรี่ใยหินชนิดหนึ่ง and if you enter that into google there are quite a few hits.

BTW - the Thai's do understand cancer (โรคมะเร็ง) and it's implications. That should get their attention.

A few sites explaining asbestos and Mesothelioma.

http://www.scumdoctor.com/Thai/medicine/da...nt-Lawsuit.html

http://www.th.articlesphere.com/Category/L...ma-Asbestos/270

Asbestos & lung mesothelioma

The Thai word for asbestos is and if you enter that into google there are quite a few hits.

BTW - the Thai's do understand cancer () and it's implications. That should get their attention.

Ok great now i can write down Asbestos in Thai and they can search it themselves. (i am sure that pro asbestos orgs have their propoganda on their also though).

Thanks a lot for that. (แรี่ใยหินชนิดหนึ่ง = โรคมะเร็ง)

Great start, thanks a lot!