Motorbikes Sold With Invoice

SpaceKadet

I have noticed that there are several motorbikes sold unregistered, and with what the seller calls "invoice". I understand that these are imported bikes.

My question is, how to verify the legality of the import and the seller provided invoice, and what would the steps and cost be to legally register such motorbike.

i know a few thai bikers who bought new harleys ..i asked them have they got a green book with that because the price is alot lower than from the authorised dealer..and they tell me no book but they have an invoice and they seem to be happy enough with this..........

I have noticed that there are several motorbikes sold unregistered, and with what the seller calls "invoice". I understand that these are imported bikes.

My question is, how to verify the legality of the import and the seller provided invoice, and what would the steps and cost be to legally register such motorbike.

Between 60 and 120k for 400cc up to huge cc and varying depending on Euro or Japanese makers.

However it needs an emissions test, these cost nearly 30k a go and they can easily fail (if they dont get a bung) and has to all happen in Bangkok for weeks.

Theres also a long list of papers that could be filled in incorrectly missing a stamp or other vital thing that is very hard to get done if its not done right first time, fraught with possibility of going wrong.

Bent books range from 20 - 40k but not easy to find for rare imports.

It's not clear to me whether your talking about a "new" bike just imported or a old one which has a book but it has problems like it is in someone else's name who you can no longer contact, or has other problems. It also makes a big difference if it is a big bike or small one. If your talking about used big bikes, the answer to your question varies widely from the bike not being able to be registered, to there being no fees required beyond the normal ones. This all depends on the state of the book, the position of the particular province has on big bikes where you are attempting to register the bike , as they vary wildly, and the attitude of the official you are working with. Really, you need to be more specific with your question.

Edited by Scubabuddha

The Invoice is just proof you have payed for the bike, not stolen it. If the invoice is legit (taxnumbers, co ltd numbers and so on for an existing company), its legal to ride the bike on public roads for 90 days in most provinces.

The costs and steps to legally register is 80-150k if you have all required export/import docs with plent of nice stamps. Most supplyers require 6 months to register, and testing/inspecting of the bike can be done in BKK in a few weeks.

Recycled books from old 100cc are 30-40k, including an illegal replacement of bikes framenumber. This book will normally state YOU have rebuild bike, changed color and replaced engine on the old 100cc bike.

Thanks for the replies. The bikes seem to be new imports as they have no registration plate, so no green book. The sellers only state that they have the invoice, whatever this may be. Invoice from the customs, all the customs import papers maybe... don't know. I have not spoken to the sellers yet. Thought I get some info on the requirements from the well informed TV community first. The prices are attractive, but I know the pitfalls of getting a bike with botched papers registered. It case of trouble it would end up at the local police charity auction.

A recycled book for a 100cc probably wouldn't work for a 1000cc Honda/Yamaha or a Harley. What the locals get away with here, us farang don't.

Didn't know that different provinces have different attitudes to registering big bikes.

I am outside of Thailand at the moment, but I'll check with my local Thai bikers what they have to say when I return in 3 weeks.

The Invoice is just proof you have payed for the bike, not stolen it. If the invoice is legit (taxnumbers, co ltd numbers and so on for an existing company), its legal to ride the bike on public roads for 90 days in most provinces.

Do you or anyone have any proof of this legality ??

Tolerated maybe.. Common in bangkok where they dont give red plates.. But legal ?? Everything I have read has said if it doesnt have a plate its not legit.

Recycled books from old 100cc are 30-40k, including an illegal replacement of bikes framenumber. This book will normally state YOU have rebuild bike, changed color and replaced engine on the old 100cc bike.

Cheaper in BKK or Patts.. And all the recycled books I have seen have been precisely the exact same model make and year. Once the numbers are changed its literally impossible to tell.

A recycled book for a 100cc probably wouldn't work for a 1000cc Honda/Yamaha or a Harley. What the locals get away with here, us farang don't.

Aint that the truth..

Saw an old Honda single cyl thumper made into a cafe racer today, obviously old big bike.. As it went past I clocked the (old bent and dusty) red plate and thought "uhhh yeah.. Bet thats new".. Also clocked his "Thai navy" branded jacket and dont reckon he will have the same problems I would on the same machine.