Day Sea Fishing From Koh Samui - Is It Possible?

I am currently on vacation on Koh Samui and want to take my 15 year old son sea fishing (if possible).

I see that Koh Tao is the best place but seems to be a long way away. Is it possible to get a good days fishing from Koh Samui without spending 5 hours on a boat to get to the fishing grounds? It would be great if it was proper big game fishing (i.e. Mrlin etc.)

Ideally we would like to leave at around 8am and get back by 6pm. Is this possible or is it really just best to go with a local company that takes us to Koh Phagnan?

Any recommendations for either option welcome?

Thanks for your help

HI,

I went off Koh Taen (30 minutes by boat from Thong Krut in the south of Samui) some weeks ago with one of the agencies offering this activity.

No merlin! :) But we caught some barracudas and smaller fishes. But for the big game, im not sure you will find it here aroung Samui..

I have no idea regarding the price, maybe you will get more information from other people.

Tx

ah, that's my husband PoorSucker, he is an avid fisherman, to say the least :D

In his opinion, most of those people running fishing trips out of Samui don't have a clue where to fish. I've tried to talk him into doing fishing trips but he isn't that interested. He is wary of people who go fishing in order to get some sun and drink beer. For him, fishing is serious :)

None of the boats from Samui have a clue how to fish, they bottom fish with tiny hooks, using dead bait cut up squid, this will catch only small reefies, unless your lucky and a barracuda or trevaley picks up the bait.

The only boats I can recommend are based in Koh Tao, one of them is run by a member of this forum, Jai dam. He catches small Marlin, sailfish, king mackerel, not large in size compared to the size they get in certain parts of the world, but on light tackle they will put up a great fight.

IF you hire a boat make sure it has a livebait tank and that it is well stocked for the trip.

No live baits and you might aswell forget it.

Oh and the number of times I have been promised by skippers in samui that they will go and get livebaits for a trip and then I turn up and the tank is empty. I then refuse to get on the boat which often leaves them a little unhappy.

Well thats there fault for promising and then thinking they can get away with being lazy. Ok some times you can't always catch the livebaits, in which case I tell the skipper to let me know beforehand so we can go another day, nearly always they lie on the phone and say everything ok.

Unfortunatley for them first thing I do when I get on the boat is inspect the livebait tank. IF it's empty, see you later!!!

Send Jai Dam a PM for info on fishing around Koh Tao.

IF anyone is interested in spearfishing let me know, some good fish can be had around samui when the water is clear.........I get more fish spearfishing than on rod and line.........

None of the boats from Samui have a clue how to fish, they bottom fish with tiny hooks, using dead bait cut up squid, this will catch only small reefies, unless your lucky and a barracuda or trevaley picks up the bait.

The only boats I can recommend are based in Koh Tao, one of them is run by a member of this forum, Jai dam. He catches small Marlin, sailfish, king mackerel, not large in size compared to the size they get in certain parts of the world, but on light tackle they will put up a great fight.

IF you hire a boat make sure it has a livebait tank and that it is well stocked for the trip.

No live baits and you might aswell forget it.

Oh and the number of times I have been promised by skippers in samui that they will go and get livebaits for a trip and then I turn up and the tank is empty. I then refuse to get on the boat which often leaves them a little unhappy.

Well thats there fault for promising and then thinking they can get away with being lazy. Ok some times you can't always catch the livebaits, in which case I tell the skipper to let me know beforehand so we can go another day, nearly always they lie on the phone and say everything ok.

Unfortunatley for them first thing I do when I get on the boat is inspect the livebait tank. IF it's empty, see you later!!!

Send Jai Dam a PM for info on fishing around Koh Tao.

IF anyone is interested in spearfishing let me know, some good fish can be had around samui when the water is clear.........I get more fish spearfishing than on rod and line.........

Thanks for all the great replies. :)

So assuming I can get a good skiipper in Koh Tao, is it practical to leave Koh Samui early in the morning, get a good day of fishing from the Koh Tao boat and back to Koh Samui on the same day?

Sorry if this is a stupid question but not sure on timings, or the quickest way, from Koh Samui to Koh Tao