New Coup Rumours?

Familyonthemove

I've heard some rumours about another coup. Seems very unlikely to me, as there seems to be no reason for one?

Here's a link to the official denial ....

http://www.asiamedia.ucla.edu/article-sout...parentid=111167

Perhaps the rumour is a not-too-subtle way for the Army to send a message about the economy?

Anyone heard anything?

I hope not, and very doubtfull...

Lets see no chatter on TV about rumors of a silent coup... A news article "debunking these rumors" is dated 8/4... its 8/12 and this post is the first time I have heard the rumors.... You would think the rumors would be on the streets of Thailand before they were on the UCLA campus...

This thread should be deleted.

Why would the Army stage a coup, as they are the ones in power at the moment.

Barry

That is a very simplistic comment.

Read the link. I am not saying the coup rumor was true, but the rumor was about a coup led by a Thaksin supporting FACTION of the army to install a Thaksin PUPPET. There are different factions of the Thai army. That is all ...

Coup rumors in general? Keep spreading them. Someday you are surely going to hit it. TIT.

Edited by Jingthing

Why would the Army stage a coup, as they are the ones in power at the moment.

Barry

That is a very simplistic comment.

Read the link. I am not saying the coup rumor was true, but the rumor was about a coup led by a Thaksin supporting FACTION of the army to install a Thaksin PUPPET. There are different factions of the Thai army. That is all ...

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the current run government is doing a bad job, as a matter of fact I think they are doing the best that can be expected. You have to understand that the Thaksin Government was run independently of the Army, so I am saying why in the world would a faction of the army stage a coup for someone that would intermittently be running the government.

Barry

I hope not, and very doubtfull...

Lets see no chatter on TV about rumors of a silent coup... A news article "debunking these rumors" is dated 8/4... its 8/12 and this post is the first time I have heard the rumors.... You would think the rumors would be on the streets of Thailand before they were on the UCLA campus...

This thread should be deleted.

I heard the rumour on the streets, then searched the net to see if there was any related news and found the report.

Asking for threads to be deleted that you do not like ... have you considered moving to Burma?

Is this not the right place to ask for views on a rumour?

Why would the Army stage a coup, as they are the ones in power at the moment. Barry
That is a very simplistic comment. Read the link. I am not saying the coup rumor was true, but the rumor was about a coup led by a Thaksin supporting FACTION of the army to install a Thaksin PUPPET. There are different factions of the Thai army. That is all ... Coup rumors in general? Keep spreading them. Someday you are surely going to hit it. TIT.

...and anti Thaksin faction is still much stronger. Another rumor goes that the guy likely to be the next Army chief is equally anti Thaksin and he is a bit more bold than our dear General ป๊อก (Anupong nickname). :)

barryofthailand- why in the world would a faction of the army stage a coup for someone that would intermittently be running the government.

Cronyism, silly!

It has been well known for many years that Thaksin has close allies among certain army factions. That was part of his tactic during power, to crush all the factions that weren't friendly. The army is important to ALL Thai governments!

Edited by Jingthing

Why would the Army stage a coup, as they are the ones in power at the moment. Barry
That is a very simplistic comment. Read the link. I am not saying the coup rumor was true, but the rumor was about a coup led by a Thaksin supporting FACTION of the army to install a Thaksin PUPPET. There are different factions of the Thai army. That is all ...
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the current run government is doing a bad job, as a matter of fact I think they are doing the best that can be expected. You have to understand that the Thaksin Government was run independently of the Army, so I am saying why in the world would a faction of the army stage a coup for someone that would intermittently be running the government. Barry

Taksin gov. run indepently of the Army?

.....Well, he install one of his brother as the Army chief and later supreme commander of the armed force (although this position is less powerful than the Army one).

Why in the world?

.....So some can pocket 10 Billion Bahts or more and have a happy retirement.

PS: After the coup Thansin exclaimed bitterly "...and I appointed Gen. Sonthi MYSELF." Like many other high ranking officers he appointed, he believe they "personally belong" to him.

Edited by oldsparrow

That is a very simplistic comment. Read the link. I am not saying the coup rumor was true, but the rumor was about a coup led by a Thaksin supporting FACTION of the army to install a Thaksin PUPPET. There are different factions of the Thai army. That is all ...
Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying the current run government is doing a bad job, as a matter of fact I think they are doing the best that can be expected. You have to understand that the Thaksin Government was run independently of the Army, so I am saying why in the world would a faction of the army stage a coup for someone that would intermittently be running the government. Barry

Taksin gov. run indepently of the Army?

.....Well, he install one of his brother as the Army chief and later supreme commander of the armed force (although this position is less powerful than the Army one).

Why in the world?

.....So some can pocket 10 Billion Bahts or more and have a happy retirement.

PS: After the coup Thansin exclaimed bitterly "...and I appointed Gen. Sonthi MYSELF." Like many other high ranking officers he appointed, he believe they "personally belong" to him.

The Army worked for Thaksin. all the other governments the Prime minister works for the Army.

Barry

Why is it always the Army that starts the Coup ? Bit unfair if you ask me, let the navy or airforce have a turn ! :)

They did. One famous example is "The Manhattan Rebellian" in 1951

Manhattan is name of a sapper ship. Marshel Phibune, the PM, went to inspect it in the Navy HQ and was seized by the Navy. He was transferred to the Navy ship Sriayuthaya in Chaopraya River. The Army and the Air Force "said" they stood with the Marshal then the AF sent Spitfire to bomb the ship. HAHA they wanted to evaporise both the Navy junta and the Marshal. They ship sunk (Please give credit to our pilot markmanship!) BUT the Marshal swam ashore and resumed power !!

:) reliabilty of the ucla posting falls suspect but credit must be given for it for rumouring about a possible coup.... :D the rumour seems very thai... :D is someone at the institute a pro-thaksin thai garnering for support :D ?......... :D it's so boring these days....let the party begin :D ....close the airport again......quickly smash the windows at the millenium hilton in bangkok...............and scare off all the crony asean ministers et.al..... :D action, action, action...let's live again! :D bring in the army, the air force, the the navy , ......throw some grenades....the media, oh yes, don't forget to call in the paparazzis, cnn, fox news, bbc, le matin, , blah,blah, blah. :P vive la' d' coup dan d'dramatique la'thailande! :P Edited by bobright

Why is it always the Army that starts the Coup ? Bit unfair if you ask me, let the navy or airforce have a turn ! :D

:) and why not? should add colors to the thai landscape. as it is, it is so boring these days.

nothing to plunder, nothing to do, no foreign donations, no tsunamis - oops, sorry just missed one in phuket with or without baht10 million batteries- no money - where have all the farangs gone? - mai sanook, mai mi saetang kin kow, mai mi farang ser lao hai - mai mi tip....

ohhhh, tai nay, nay.

bring on the coup, laew, laew....

throw some thunder flashes, grenades, bring in the panthers...laew, laew......

deploy chakri narubet and her entourage....ohhh, berrrr ahhhhh chin chin na, ton ni.........

laew, laew, do something

just do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

In addition to the fact that the Army has more man power and have more opportunity to seize politician and TV stations, sometimes we said that the Navy and AF invloved less in the coup for they have more technical mind. They operate machine while the Army shout order to other soldier, more authoritative human interaction, more political concern.