Vita-mix Blender: Where Can I Find One In Thailand?

The same thing is for sale at Verasu in Bangkok. Main store on Wireless Road between US Embassy Visa Office and Sukumvit, same side of the road as US Visa Office. Other Verasu stores at Bangkapi close to the Mall, Mall 6 on the 3rd floor, and the Avenue complex on Chaengwattana Road. They are not cheap so bargaining is out of the question.

I debated about bringing my Vita-Mix from the west, and was told that I needed a special sized converter which was quite large.

However, I have found the Hi Sonic Brand, Model 3526W, available at Macro for 5995 baht to work just as efficient as the Vita-Mix, and I am extremely pleased with it.

Two of my friends bought one a couple of years ago, and it works fine for them. I just bought one today to bring with me back when I return to Thailand on Monday.  It draws 100 watts, so I don't see the problem with my 200 watt converter.

I had a "normal" blender, but it is giving out, and, to be honest, it never could do the same job as the Vita-Mix.  I asked for a 220 volt model of the home version, but it was over $800.  So I simply got a professional model (Vita-Prep) at a restaurant supply store for $389.  

Two of my friends bought one a couple of years ago, and it works fine for them. I just bought one today to bring with me back when I return to Thailand on Monday.  It draws 100 watts, so I don't see the problem with my 200 watt converter.

I had a "normal" blender, but it is giving out, and, to be honest, it never could do the same job as the Vita-Mix.  I asked for a 220 volt model of the home version, but it was over $800.  So I simply got a professional model (Vita-Prep) at a restaurant supply store for $389.  

Looks like I need a new converter.  At top speed, the Vita-Prep sucks up almost 1,000 watts, so I need to upgrade my converter.  The 100 watts was for a meat slicer I bought.

Edited by bonobo

The same thing is for sale at Verasu in Bangkok. Main store on Wireless Road between US Embassy Visa Office and Sukumvit, same side of the road as US Visa Office. Other Verasu stores at Bangkapi close to the Mall, Mall 6 on the 3rd floor, and the Avenue complex on Chaengwattana Road. They are not cheap so bargaining is out of the question.

If by "same thing" you mean they carry Vita-Mix blenders, that'd be great. Otherwise, I may need to bribe a friend traveling to Taiwan or Singapore to to pick me up one (I see on the website that they have distributors there). With it's 2 peak HorsePower motor (the 5200 model) & variable speeds from 11mph up to 240mph it's the only one that shatters them little fruit & veggie cell walls and makes all them great phytonutrients 'bio-available'. After doing these green smoothies for awhile I think I'm addicted and, when you add all those great fruit & veg-options available in Thailand, I think I could live off them quite well...

I know what it's like to be brand-loyal, but have you seen this guy's blenders? They're Greeeeeaaaaattt! :D

http://www.willitblend.com/

And this:

Sorry I could actually be helpful :)

Yes, Daren. The Blendtec is also a great blender and would be my second choice (as mentioned in my original post). I'm hoping I can find one of the two in Thailand as I won't have room for such apparatus in my baggage - thanks!

Hehe, I see that now, BigBadSeattleLad. Reading every word has always been a challenge :)

Have you tried emailing either company? I'd imagine either company would be happy to ship their products anywhere, so long as you foot the bill.

If anyone does order or bring an American Vita-Mix using 110V, you can get a 1,000W or an 800W power adaptor at Amorn at the Old Siam Shopping Center.  The 800W is 1,800 baht, and the 1,000W is 2,200 baht.  I bought the 1,000W, and it works great.  And the Vita-Prep is fantanstic.  I had forgotten how smooth a smoothie should be!

Two of my friends bought one a couple of years ago, and it works fine for them. I just bought one today to bring with me back when I return to Thailand on Monday. It draws 100 watts, so I don't see the problem with my 200 watt converter.

I had a "normal" blender, but it is giving out, and, to be honest, it never could do the same job as the Vita-Mix. I asked for a 220 volt model of the home version, but it was over $800. So I simply got a professional model (Vita-Prep) at a restaurant supply store for $389.

Your mention of the Vita-Prep unit, together with Daren's suggestion that I contact the company, prompted me to check the site for vendors in Thailand -again (an earlier search for a Vita-Mix vendor prior to my post got me only as close as Singapore). At the top of the Vita-Prep page - under the 'How to Buy' tab - they list a vendor in Thailand over on Paholyothin Rd. As I just got back, I'll be getting over there in the days ahead to see how much the unit will cost me over here. You scored a great price on your Vita-Prep unit... I doubt I'll get anything near that here... thx for tip/s on adapters!

Two of my friends bought one a couple of years ago, and it works fine for them. I just bought one today to bring with me back when I return to Thailand on Monday. It draws 100 watts, so I don't see the problem with my 200 watt converter.

I had a "normal" blender, but it is giving out, and, to be honest, it never could do the same job as the Vita-Mix. I asked for a 220 volt model of the home version, but it was over $800. So I simply got a professional model (Vita-Prep) at a restaurant supply store for $389.

Your mention of the Vita-Prep unit, together with Daren's suggestion that I contact the company, prompted me to check the site for vendors in Thailand -again (an earlier search for a Vita-Mix vendor prior to my post got me only as close as Singapore). At the top of the Vita-Prep page - under the 'How to Buy' tab - they list a vendor in Thailand over on Paholyothin Rd. As I just got back, I'll be getting over there in the days ahead to see how much the unit will cost me over here. You scored a great price on your Vita-Prep unit... I doubt I'll get anything near that here... thx for tip/s on adapters!

Let us know what the price is.  I would be curious to see.  It would be nice to have one made for 220V isntead of having to use a voltage converter.

But let me tell you, I am overjoyed to have my unit.  Smoothies last night, gazpacho today.  This is great!

Let us know what the price is. I would be curious to see. It would be nice to have one made for 220V isntead of having to use a voltage converter.

But let me tell you, I am overjoyed to have my unit. Smoothies last night, gazpacho today. This is great!

Well... looks like I'm just gonna have to wait for my next trip to the US to get my Vita-Mix/Prep. Found out today from the local distributer that their "very special price" (not just special, but VERY special) for the Vita-Prep comes to approx. US$900(!). The girl couldn't tell me exactly how much (because they're suppposedly awaiting a new shipment to arrive in a couple weeks or so) but she did say "Bht30,000 plus". I won't pay that for the 'convenience' of buying locally, of course, so I'll just make sure to make space on my next trip to US in a few months or so... bummer :)

Let us know what the price is. I would be curious to see. It would be nice to have one made for 220V isntead of having to use a voltage converter.

But let me tell you, I am overjoyed to have my unit. Smoothies last night, gazpacho today. This is great!

Well... looks like I'm just gonna have to wait for my next trip to the US to get my Vita-Mix/Prep. Found out today from the local distributer that their "very special price" (not just special, but VERY special) for the Vita-Prep comes to approx. US$900(!). The girl couldn't tell me exactly how much (because they're suppposedly awaiting a new shipment to arrive in a couple weeks or so) but she did say "Bht30,000 plus". I won't pay that for the 'convenience' of buying locally, of course, so I'll just make sure to make space on my next trip to US in a few months or so... bummer :)

If you buy a 220V in the US, it is over $800, so that sounds about right for the price here.

Next time you are home, go to a restaurant supply store and get a Vita-Prep.  It is slightly sturdier than the Vita-Mix, slightly more powerful, and costs less.  You can get one for less than $400.  Then get a 1000W adapter here for 2,000 baht, and you are off to the races.

I just finished watermelon shakes, and it is great to have every bit of the ice pulverized.

Edited by bonobo

Oh what a perfect topic. I was just in the states and learned about the VItamix blender but didn't get one there because I read they don't work will with a converter. now I just strarted reading about blendtec.

I emailed the distributor here and was quoted 25,000 baht. That seemd outrageous to me also. The American ones are made i America and I wonder where these 220v ones are made.

What does Verasu charge?

I really want to get into making raw food and it seems like a high speed blender is key.

Thanks for all the info

Oh what a perfect topic. I was just in the states and learned about the VItamix blender but didn't get one there because I read they don't work will with a converter. now I just strarted reading about blendtec.

I emailed the distributor here and was quoted 25,000 baht. That seemd outrageous to me also. The American ones are made i America and I wonder where these 220v ones are made.

What does Verasu charge?

I really want to get into making raw food and it seems like a high speed blender is key.

Thanks for all the info

My VIta-Prep works absolutely fine with my converter. I think the key is to get a powerful enough converter to handle the Vita-Prep or Vita-Mix's load.

I am sorry now I did not pick one up off of ebay.

I have just been informed that there is a similar blender type to the vita mix for sale by the Makro here in Phuket. No idea what brand but I will go have a look and check out the horse power and specs etc.

This was told to me by someone who is opening up a raw food cafe in Phuket (yeah!!!!) so he does understand that a vitamix is not just any blender!

Ok someone recommended this one Champ Heavy Duty BL-767, i bought it here in Phuket at a commercial kitchen booth outside the Makro here in Phuket. 6500.

As someone is sleeping now I will wait until tomorrow to try it. I was told it can do the same as the Vita Mix.

I will keep you posted. !

(yes it is made in China ) but at 6500 baht vs. 25000 it was worth it.

Online I read that it has a 2 year warranty but I had nothing in my box, no instructions nor warrenty card. and she opened the box when I was there to test the blender.

Ok someone recommended this one Champ Heavy Duty BL-767, i bought it here in Phuket at a commercial kitchen booth outside the Makro here in Phuket. 6500.

As someone is sleeping now I will wait until tomorrow to try it. I was told it can do the same as the Vita Mix.

Online I read that it has a 2 year warranty but I had nothing in my box, no instructions nor warrenty card. and she opened the box when I was there to test the blender.

Keep us updated, please!

Cooks Illustrated magazine recentaly ran an evaluation of upscale blenders. Vitamix and Blendtec weren't included. The top rated machine was a Kitchenaid blender which I believe has one important advantage over Vitamix: it is available in Thailand. I did see it on sale at Robinson's not too long ago. Here is a quote from someone at Amazon who purchased this model (KSB580NK):

"I have owned a lot of blenders and this one is very impressive. I was tempted to give it 4 stars as it is not the best blender I have ever owned. That distinction goes to the Vita-Mix which has a nuclear reactor for a base, sounds like a Harley and cost as much as a microwave but if you need a blender that can crush anything and make flour and HOT soup....well....but back to the KitchenAid.

First it looks great. As a home chef, having a sleek modern looking kitchen is important. Second it is easy to clean... I will never own a push button (i.e. old Oster-type) blender again. Nor one with a multi piece jar. One leak can and has ruined an evening or party, as you run to grab paper towel and dish clothes to control the margarita or soup that is running across your counter and down your cabinets. Then the fun of cleaning your blender nooks begin....grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Now the really impressive part. I have owned a Waring for years. Everyone always raves about it and if you have a thin liquid, it works great. But for crushing ice and making smoothies, it just flat out sucks. So I sought out an ice crushing (margaritas), sealed jar (gravies/soups), lightweight, large capacity (parties), easy touch (easy to clean), piece of art. The KitchenAid is all those things and has a logic built in that controls the blade speed. It knows how well it is crushing the ice and modulates the motor to ensure an even snow like texture that is incredible. The same system is also built into the other modes, measuring resistance to step the motor up, then back it down to ensure smooth results.

This is my first KitchenAid product, but it will not be my last. BRAVO"

If anybody is interested, I could forward them the text of the cooks illustrated article.

Keep us updated, please!

Hi I actually know nothing about blenders, smoothies or raw food but want to learn. What would be a good test to do to compare it with a vitamix?

I tried pieces of carrot and cucumber and came out with a a liquid substance, barely drinkable.

What I really want to make is nut butters and nut milks. Ok back to the raw food recipe book!

This has 22,000 - 28,000 RPM's. What is vitamix? I think I read 37,000 but have no idea what a difference of 9,000 rpm's really means.

Glad to know I am not the only one out there thinking about blenders in los.........

Keep us updated, please!

Hi I actually know nothing about blenders, smoothies or raw food but want to learn. What would be a good test to do to compare it with a vitamix?

I tried pieces of carrot and cucumber and came out with a a liquid substance, barely drinkable.

What I really want to make is nut butters and nut milks. Ok back to the raw food recipe book!

This has 22,000 - 28,000 RPM's. What is vitamix? I think I read 37,000 but have no idea what a difference of 9,000 rpm's really means.

Glad to know I am not the only one out there thinking about blenders in los.........

'cozumelito' sites a Cooks Illustrated review seeking moderately priced alternatives to the pricier 'upscale' Vita-Mix & Blendtec (both of which it prefaces the review with). They end up with one they feel performs certain 'everyday kitchen tasks' better than other moderately priced units - the Kitchenaid - but, at about 1/3 the actual power of the Vita-Mix it's not likely to pulverize the plant cell membranes and render the maximun bioavailability of nutients to the degree us 'raw-fooders' aim for. As the cited Amazon reviewer stated, the "best machine [he's] ever owned" distinction goes to the Vita-Mix unit which can "crush anything". A machine that will do this consistently (and do so with a 3-yr warranty on parts and svcs) is worth a couple hundred bucks more to most -if it can be found...

Your Champ Heavy Duty with about 75% of the rpm of th VM probably does a respectable job of accomplising this and I may end up grabbing one myself if I can't come up with something better within a couple days here. RE your 'barely drinkable liquid substance' - just dropping a couple bits of carrot and cucumber into your unit is not too likely to produce any culinary miracles. The idea is to combine your fruits and/or veggies into smoothies in a way that not only fuels your bod but tastes great as well. The green smoothie supremo (and raw-fooder) is V. Boutenko. She's written several books on the subject of smoothies but you can get a good summary of the basics by typing 'green smoothie' into your pref'd search engine or try: http://www.squidoo.com/greensmoothies

For me, the biggest tests are at either end of the scale.  I want to make gazpacho without having a puree, and I want to make smoothies that are "smooth."

The blender has to have a speed control.  If it doesn't, even at the pre-set low speeds, it can be too fast and puree a gazpacho if you are not johnny-on-the-spot.  With a speed control, you can turn it on, start at zero, and manually dial up until your gazpacho is just right.

Then, it has to have the ability to grind up a Toyota.  I want my frozen substance, be that ice or fruit, to be pulverized without any residue chunks.  I want the seeds (I leave in many fruit seeds) and fruit skin to be totally ground to bits so I can't distinguish them.  I want the plant cell membranes crushed.

Yes, it is fun to make a soup now-and-again, but frankly, i make a better soup using more "normal" soup preparations.  And the ice-cream/sorbets you can make using a Vita-Mix are great.  But it is the top two ends of the spectrum which are the true test for me.  And with this test, the Vita-Mix is the best I have found to date.

I don't know if this is useful or not but last night I noticed that a Swensen's ice cream store in Chiang Mai had a Vitamix. So I'm assuming that most if not all Swensen's stores have one too. Maybe if somebody has a connection at Swensens, he or she can find out where Swensen get's its blenders.

Anyone have a recipe for lemon sorbet?  When I bought my VIta Prep, they gave me a recipe book, but it more geared for restaurants.  Where I have seen the Vita-Mixes demonstrated, they give out a more home-oriented book.

From what I remember, for the sorbets, it was just frozen fruit, honey, and ice.  I have a few lemons (not frozen), lemon extract, and bottled lemon juice, and I am hankering for a lemon sorbet. 

I have found a number of mentions on the web about making lemon sorbet with a Vita-Mx, but no recipes! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I don't know if this is useful or not but last night I noticed that a Swensen's ice cream store in Chiang Mai had a Vitamix. So I'm assuming that most if not all Swensen's stores have one too. Maybe if somebody has a connection at Swensens, he or she can find out where Swensen get's its blenders.

I can get a Vitamix here but it is 27,000 baht from the Vita mix distbutor that I was put in contact with from Vitamix USA.

So I Put the frozen bananas in and smashed them down and it came out great! A bit creamy but that is perhaps because my freezer does not freeze the bananas as frozen as I think they should be.

however my creation still had the consistency of a soft ice cream, not to banana-ey and tasted great. I added some of my pulvarized cashew nuts to give it some texture and it was great, almost like raw cookie dough. Well almost. I think some peanuts or something harder would give it a nice crunch.

I ate 3 bananas in one sitting and could have eaten more but then realized even though it is fruit 3 bananas is a lot.