Best graph & analyst apps

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

LibreOffice Calc is a better one - it's free.

Is it better? Or do you like it more because it is free?

For most of my life I use pirated software. Now I pay for Office 365, it's a few USD per month - the equivalent of a few espressos.

I don't mind paying that money for good software.

If other software is better, with better results and better functionality and a better user interface, then maybe I would change. But just for a few dollars less, I wouldn't do it. Too much hassle - IMHO.

• Agree 2

^^^ LibreOffice is functionally almost identical to Microsoft Office.  I've never found a feature I needed that wasn't available in LibreOffice.  Plus, it doesn't force that stupid "ribbon" on you which I find incredibly unhelpful and annoying.  Having recently been forced to use Microsoft Word for a Ph.D. thesis (not mine - I did mine 40 years ago when everything had to be typed manually), I was reminded how poor Microsoft UI design is, and how it decreases productivity - at least for competent individuals.  In short:  Micro$oft sucks.

• Confused 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

If other software is better, with better results and better functionality and a better user interface, then maybe I would change. But just for a few dollars less, I wouldn't do it. Too much hassle - IMHO.

I have to admit it's been many years since I tried Libre Office, for the reason I'll discuss.  So I hope the compatibility has gotten better...

I found them both to be very adequate for composing a spreadsheet and great graphs.  My issue was when I tried to open a spreadsheet made in one, with the other.  The formatting never seemed to be right on.  It always took too long to rejigger the formatting, especially on graphs.  And since the majority of graphs I'd download or receive were done in Excel, it was just easier to stick with Excel.  If I were just doing spreadsheets, analysis and graphing from zero, and for my own account, I'd save the $$$ and go with Libre office.  But that wasn't the real world for me.

Maybe someone who's done it more recently can give us an update.  Because my Office 365 subscription is due for a renewal.  I think 3,000 baht a year.  I consider it a great value, but I'm a cheapskate at heart.  Maybe the compatibility is improved?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, impulse said:

I have to admit it's been many years since I tried Libre Office, for the reason I'll discuss.  So I hope the compatibility has gotten better...

I found them both to be very adequate for composing a spreadsheet and great graphs.  My issue was when I tried to open a spreadsheet made in one, with the other.  The formatting never seemed to be right on.  It always took too long to rejigger the formatting, especially on graphs.  And since the majority of graphs I'd download or receive were done in Excel, it was just easier to stick with Excel.  If I were just doing spreadsheets, analysis and graphing from zero, and for my own account, I'd save the $$$ and go with Libre office.  But that wasn't the real world for me.

Maybe someone who's done it more recently can give us an update.  Because my Office 365 subscription is due for a renewal.  I think 3,000 baht a year.  I consider it a great value, but I'm a cheapskate at heart.  Maybe the compatibility is improved?

When WYSIWYG was a new invention I worked with Ami Pro. I knew every detail of that program and it worked great.

But later, when everybody used WinWord, I also switched to WinWord, because as you write above, it made a lot of sense to be compatible with everybody else.

3x-804adc2f71d224c56f30ec3668d140c7-Ami%

1 hour ago, Foxx said:

^^^ LibreOffice is functionally almost identical to Microsoft Office.  I've never found a feature I needed that wasn't available in LibreOffice.  Plus, it doesn't force that stupid "ribbon" on you which I find incredibly unhelpful and annoying.  Having recently been forced to use Microsoft Word for a Ph.D. thesis (not mine - I did mine 40 years ago when everything had to be typed manually), I was reminded how poor Microsoft UI design is, and how it decreases productivity - at least for competent individuals.  In short:  Micro$oft sucks.

And maybe, just maybe, younger people want a different GUI than guys who are used to typewriters.

s-l1200.webp

If you are only going to use it for a short time, you can get 15 days free trial of Zoho Analytics. 

It takes a little bit of a learning curve but it's incredibly flexible and can really help data analysis and presentation. 

After the 15 days, however, you will need to sign up to a paid account. It starts at around $20 a month.