• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always ask for Chang

"Pom Yaak Chang Yai Dark ling"

1st meaning

I would like a large beer Chang darling

2nd meaning

I like big co*k monkey bum

Always gets the bar girls laughing, even though they've heard it a million times before.

And it's the strongest at 6.4% and comes in a bigger bottle than the others (630ml I seem to remember as opposed to 600ml) so you get slaughtered really quickly

I always ask for Chang

"Pom Yaak Chang Yai Dark ling"

1st meaning

I would like a large beer Chang darling

2nd meaning

I like big co*k monkey bum

Always gets the bar girls laughing, even though they've heard it a million times before.

And it's the strongest at 6.4% and comes in a bigger bottle than the others (630ml I seem to remember as opposed to 600ml) so you get slaughtered really quickly

With a sense of humour like that, the quicker you get slaughtered , the better. :)

Leo strait from the bottle

normal good strong chang with ice, especialy with spicey treats

these above 2 have more flavour.

Hieneken, samilguile (spelt wrong i know), singha all drinkable but pissy (and unneccarcarily more expensive)

tiger nice with an indian in england but no other time does it occure to me to drink it

beer lao, nice in loa, cold from a big bottle. Dont appreitiate the tiddlers at twice the price.

german beers alright but not worth the money

in the republic thier budvwiezer is spot on

IPA or London pride with a steak an ale pie. Enjoy tasting variously local ales, summer lighting from somerset (i think) is a nice, kent and suffolk got sum good ones too.

guiness when feeling a little hungry but can't be bothered to eat. extra cold if available. Caffreys nice an creamy and same soupy quality. Jhon smiths i wouldnt chose in england, but still drinkable; in thailand definately not worth the peas.

pear cider with ice for a sunny english summers morning hangover, just 1 to set the ball rolling, followed by a couple of standard magners or blumers with ice, then a stella or 3 (no ice) before moving on to the spirits

Off topic, but sangsom, ice and water is better than any mixer and expensive ponse. Only time worth the money is for single malt drunk strait and savoured

cheers beer tastes real metalicky to me and is almost undrinkable same like that orrible angkor stuff in a can.

Tsing Toa, from china apprently, but i've only ever had it in chinese restaurants in england, is propper nice an crisp but still flavoursum

American beer is terrible watery rubbish

A slab of VB goes down a treat. Toowies is ok. Kaloolabar bag of wine is value for money and doubles as a handy pillow which is needed by the time you get through it all.

speaking of wine those big jars of red you can get in macro arn't bad after you've let it breath a bit, value wise; with money i'd choose a nice merlot.

1664 is quite an interresting flavour but can only drink 1 or 2

amstel ok but not much going on. pubs that only have amstel on tap and everything else in bottles i refuse to patron. similarly bars in thailand that only sell small beers need an exceptionally good reason to get away with it, such as excellent music and vibe, but i'll still bitch about it. even if they had large beers protionatly more expensive so they keepin the desired margin would be better, so you dont have the longness of catching another and another and another.

Not been to south america so can't comment on thier fare, any good ones?

belgian beers are strange

I'm a Brit so partial to a proper English pint - slightly below room temp and flat. Hall & Woodhouse's Tanglefoot being the absolute godfather of beers, followed by Wadworth's excellent 6X and Fuller's London Pride taking a hotly contested 3rd place. I do like a refreshing cider on a hot summer's day in a pub beer garden or one of those fruity/flowery ales like Summer Lightning or Golden Champion. Thinking about it, quality ales are about the only thing England's got going in it's favour nowadays! ;-)

I lived in Belgium for 6 years and enjoyed pretty much every brew I tried with the exception of the ones made with cherries or strawberries. Now they are strange.......

Cheers,

Pikey.

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Forgive me for veering off a little, but whilst in the presence of you beer-mavens I cannot help but ask :

Maybe twenty years ago in California I used to get a beer from Australia, named "Sheaf Stout" :

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/353/1992

(I had taste buds back then) : it was very dark, very "thick," very "yeasty."

Do you know if this beer is on offer (retail) in Chiang Mai, or, if not, what would brew/brand would you recommend as similar in taste, thickness, etc. ?

thanks !

best, ~o:37;

Edited by orang37

Sawasdee Khrup, TV Friends,

Forgive me for veering off a little, but whilst in the presence of you beer-mavens I cannot help but ask :

Maybe twenty years ago in California I used to get a beer from Australia, named "Sheaf Stout" :

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/353/1992

(I had taste buds back then) : it was very dark, very "thick," very "yeasty."

Do you know if this beer is on offer (retail) in Chiang Mai, or, if not, what would brew/brand would you recommend as similar in taste, thickness, etc. ?

thanks !

best, ~o:37;

perhaps Vegemite would come close :):D:D

Vegemite.jpg

Leo strait from the bottle

normal good strong chang with ice, especialy with spicey treats

these above 2 have more flavour.

Hieneken, samilguile (spelt wrong i know), singha all drinkable but pissy (and unneccarcarily more expensive)

tiger nice with an indian in england but no other time does it occure to me to drink it

beer lao, nice in loa, cold from a big bottle. Dont appreitiate the tiddlers at twice the price.

german beers alright but not worth the money

in the republic thier budvwiezer is spot on

IPA or London pride with a steak an ale pie. Enjoy tasting variously local ales, summer lighting from somerset (i think) is a nice, kent and suffolk got sum good ones too.

guiness when feeling a little hungry but can't be bothered to eat. extra cold if available. Caffreys nice an creamy and same soupy quality. Jhon smiths i wouldnt chose in england, but still drinkable; in thailand definately not worth the peas.

pear cider with ice for a sunny english summers morning hangover, just 1 to set the ball rolling, followed by a couple of standard magners or blumers with ice, then a stella or 3 (no ice) before moving on to the spirits

Off topic, but sangsom, ice and water is better than any mixer and expensive ponse. Only time worth the money is for single malt drunk strait and savoured

cheers beer tastes real metalicky to me and is almost undrinkable same like that orrible angkor stuff in a can.

Tsing Toa, from china apprently, but i've only ever had it in chinese restaurants in england, is propper nice an crisp but still flavoursum

American beer is terrible watery rubbish

A slab of VB goes down a treat. Toowies is ok. Kaloolabar bag of wine is value for money and doubles as a handy pillow which is needed by the time you get through it all.

speaking of wine those big jars of red you can get in macro arn't bad after you've let it breath a bit, value wise; with money i'd choose a nice merlot.

1664 is quite an interresting flavour but can only drink 1 or 2

amstel ok but not much going on. pubs that only have amstel on tap and everything else in bottles i refuse to patron. similarly bars in thailand that only sell small beers need an exceptionally good reason to get away with it, such as excellent music and vibe, but i'll still bitch about it. even if they had large beers protionatly more expensive so they keepin the desired margin would be better, so you dont have the longness of catching another and another and another.

Not been to south america so can't comment on thier fare, any good ones?

I salute you sir. Spoken like a true drinker :)

You have got to be a troll? Are you posting from inside Nana Plaza?

Your Thai is wrong as well by the way.

The girls aint laughing. coz they cant understand a f****n word.

Doesnt know the difference between yaak and ao, classifiers non existent.

Chang drinker, talk about gaining face, how to win friends and influence people, can only assume the poster is an ELT.

I find it amusing that the trolls of this forum are allowed to post completely off topic just to try and get a few jollies from starting a flame war. I guess many of you are bored out of your heads in Thailand.

Still if anyone wants to start a discussion on the use of the Thai language, and it's various components we should at least try to do it in Thai.

เอา

ขอ

อยาก

คุฌต้องเริ่มผมเขียนถาษาไทยแต่ไม่เก่ง

:)

I still prefer Chang beer, I'm not keen on a very strong taste (just to keep my post slightly on topic)

Edited by pjclark1

Wrong spelling and it doesn't really make sense :)

So why not correct it for me and be constructive, rather than just trolling.

The Thai person sitting next to me seems to understand!

belgian beers are strange

I'm a Brit so partial to a proper English pint - slightly below room temp and flat. Hall & Woodhouse's Tanglefoot being the absolute godfather of beers, followed by Wadworth's excellent 6X and Fuller's London Pride taking a hotly contested 3rd place. I do like a refreshing cider on a hot summer's day in a pub beer garden or one of those fruity/flowery ales like Summer Lightning or Golden Champion. Thinking about it, quality ales are about the only thing England's got going in it's favour nowadays! ;-)

I lived in Belgium for 6 years and enjoyed pretty much every brew I tried with the exception of the ones made with cherries or strawberries. Now they are strange.......

Cheers,

Pikey.

All the UK beers you mention are from traditional but fairly big breweries, although nothing like the international conglomerate monsters that produce the terrible Euro-fizz lagers that poison the nation.

Whilst I quite like 6X, it is nothing compared to what is produced in the many micro-breweries that are flourishing in the UK. Try a pint of Zebedee, Smuggler or Blonde from the Rebellion Brewery at Marlow - now that is beer.

Many years ago, I did the tour at Fullers and remember waking up in a curry house in Chiswick later that night. :)

Badger has enjoyed a revival with some interesting bottled beers - but it does not come close to a real ale.

And real ale does not have to be heavy or strong, I like an ABV of around 3.9 - 4.1 in a "blonde" pint. If you want a "lager" beer, then I recommend Prague (and the women there are beautiful too).

I was over in London a few weeks ago and attended the CAMRA Beer Festival where I was talked into having a pint of Gritty McDuffs (Portland, Maine) by my US guests. I have never had a decent beer in all my time in the States, and it does not travel...

Rgds

Edited by piercefilmlid

Wrong spelling and it doesn't really make sense :)

So why not correct it for me and be constructive, rather than just trolling.

The Thai person sitting next to me seems to understand!

You must start, I write Thai but not well.

I understand what you are trying to say, but this isnt the way a Thai would say it.

There may well be a language barrier, or the Thai person is unable to convey the exact context, or you may not understand exactly what the Thai is saying, either way something is getting lost in the translation.

Suggest you pop into the Thai language forum, I visit often.

Btw I am not getting my jollies off by trying to flame anyone, my last comments where aimed at those who may have taken your previous comments at face value and tried to use it, as mentioned by another poster, it was incorrect.

I dont think anyone is trolling, pointing out the errors you posted may well be an indication your teacher may not be up to the task, I learned a long time ago just because someone is Thai doesnt qualify them to teach the language, I may talk English, but I am in no way qualified to teach it.

The above comments are meant to be constructive, not trolling or flaming.

Good luck with your studies.

Luckily when I lived in the states, we had a large quantity of beers on tap & bottle. I prefer a "belgian waffle" 3 quarters Hoegaarden, topped off with a quarter Guinness [Only tap beer] bottle just does not taste the same. I am sure they call it something else in other parts of the world. You could use Leffe, instead of guinness if you prefer. You need to float the Guinness when pouring......

Enjoy.....

All the UK beers you mention are from traditional but fairly big breweries, although nothing like the international conglomerate monsters that produce the terrible Euro-fizz lagers that poison the nation.

Whilst I quite like 6X, it is nothing compared to what is produced in the many micro-breweries that are flourishing in the UK. Try a pint of Zebedee, Smuggler or Blonde from the Rebellion Brewery at Marlow - now that is beer.

Many years ago, I did the tour at Fullers and remember waking up in a curry house in Chiswick later that night. :)

Badger has enjoyed a revival with some interesting bottled beers - but it does not come close to a real ale.

And real ale does not have to be heavy or strong, I like an ABV of around 3.9 - 4.1 in a "blonde" pint. If you want a "lager" beer, then I recommend Prague (and the women there are beautiful too).

I was over in London a few weeks ago and attended the CAMRA Beer Festival where I was talked into having a pint of Gritty McDuffs (Portland, Maine) by my US guests. I have never had a decent beer in all my time in the States, and it does not travel...

Rgds

When I first started drinking, none of the breweries I mention could have been classed as large but I guess things have changed over the past 30 years. I do remember that prior to the release of Tanglefoot, no sane man would drink a drop of Badger beer as it was bloody awful. Back then Huntsman's Royal Oak from Eldridge Pope was my tipple of choice but sadly they went to the wall. I don't know how a beer or ale qualifies as "real", nor do I much care, as satisfying my tastebuds is what matters to me and the 3 beers I mention do a fine job there.

I did a bike trip through the former eastern Europe just after the fall of the Berlin Wall and in Prague in 1990 a large bottle of "Budvar" worked out at the equivalent of 29 pence and it was a cracking beer. :D

Cheers,

Pikey.

guiness when feeling a little hungry but can't be bothered to eat.

:)

As I'm currently still living in London, I can still take advantage of Weatherspoon's fantastic, ever-changing real ale selections. They even put on real ale festivals! A pint of Ruddles is 1.49 GBP regardless.

I prefer to try all the guest ales as they come in, or in whatever pub I find myself. Have to say, all time fave is not a real ale but the much maligned Stella Artois. This perhaps explains why I stick to Chang when in Thailand.

Of the rest of the Thai beers, well I think I've tried them all, and all seem horrible to this real ale boy. Especially Singha.

What do I think I will I miss when I emigrate? Oooh, they've already been mentioned by others...Newcastle Brown Ale...Tanglefoot....plus proper, cloudy scrumpy.

I'd also agree to a previous comment that Budvar in Prague in 1990 was cheap and plentiful. I used to really like the "canteens" found at the back of butcher's where budding entrepreneurs sat side by side with road sweepers, eating dirt cheap Czech food and slugging back frothy pilsner's served swept down the bar "Wild West saloon" stylee by some fat, tattooed gentleman who looked like the 'tashed cook from "Zulu".

And then you got Budapest...

Edited by chriswatson

Rgds

I went to that CAMRA Beer Festival too. One of my mates bought some "fresh" pork scratchings and broke one of his teeth in half. Had to find a dentist at 1700 hrs as he was flying to Antigua the next day. Luckily he did.

The funniest thing about the festival were all those beer bellies wobbling around and the fact that so many brought their own tankards and beards. And that's just the women (boom boom).

I think by the end of the night we were drinking half pints of some black stuff that was about 9.1%. Seemed like a good thing at the time, but overall a bad move by Saturday morning.

• 1 month later...

One of my favourites must be Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier from Germany...

Was glad to recently notice that it is available in Chiangmai, and even cheaper than in my home country... pfff.

Bought a case (20 x 0,5 L) from Horeca Supply off Superhighway, the cost was 2000 THB + 140 THB tax.

Very reasonable for such a good beer imho.

They also have Erdinger, Warsteiner, Hoegaarden, Leffe, Chimay and who knows what else... :)