Best Beer- An Objective Assessment

ctrunfree

On my many visits to the LOS I've tried most of what's on offer, but the thought struck me that I'd never actually fastened on a favourite, usually drinking whatever was available.

For a man of science this situation was obviously unsatisfactory, so this afternoon I conducted (with assistance from better half) a blind tasting of what I regard as the four most commonly encountered beers in Chiang Mai: Chang, Singha, Leo and Tiger.

All beer was served from small bottles at the same temperature, in slightly chilled glasses, and tasted blind. Assessments were made at both initial pouring, and after 5 minutes to allow for the features of each drop to exhibit themselves.

The rankings, and comments, were as follows:

1. Leo- clean, fresh- not a huge taste but refreshing

2. Chang- not far behind, simlilar character, but not quite as clean

3. Singha- the most distinctive taste, which stood out from the others. Hadn't noticed how different this was in the past.

4. Tiger- not a great taste, sort of "suddsy" (and yes the glass was clean).

I was suprised that Chang ranked so high, and Tiger so low. So I guess I'll be stocking the Leo from now on.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Different strokes for different folks I guess. It's all subjective.

I like Tiger the best and most of the guys I have a beer with from time to time also prefer Tiger. Federbrau comes in 2nd on my list, then Leo, followed by Chang. I can't drink Singha or Archa. When I go to places that only sell Singha, I'll drink water. When I'm lucky enough to go to a place that sells Beer Lao, I'll always choose that 1st.

Edited by elektrified

Suppin Chang or Singha will make anything taste like crud.

Here's my assessment of your four beers:

Leo, okish

*Chang, crap

Singha, crap

Tiger, good and consistent... probably having a lot to do with where it was developed.

*Chang is, however, fantastic after vigorous exercise, especially after a good knee-trembler :)

Could do with a longer period between testing and need at least 5 or 6 in a row to make it count me thinks. Reckon Chang, Singha, and Leo all get samey and drab after that amount, whereas one can empty a crate of Tiger and still enjoy.

Compared to what I was weaned on - proper English ale, it's all disgusting pisswater. However, I have been known to consume vast quantities of Leo in (frequent) moments of weakness but if I can find it, Beer Lao Dark is my favourite "local" brew.

Cheers,

Pikey (hic!).

Stuff the expense, Erdinger for me and if that's not available, Lao (not the Leo crap)

I'm with you on the Erdinger. Every real German beer I've had here has been far and away better than any other beer - although I like and drink the others too . . .

If they dont sell Heineken, I will usually go with water. The Mrs also developed a taste for 'Olde English Cider', whilst expensive, very refreshing.

I did used to like Kloster (may be wrong spelling), where did that go?

Out of interest, anyone ever try brewing their own here? We used to make Bitter at school, didnt taste too bad. Is it too hot here? Are their tax issues if it is only for home consumption?

Iain

Out of interest, anyone ever try brewing their own here? We used to make Bitter at school, didnt taste too bad. Is it too hot here? Are their tax issues if it is only for home consumption?

Iain

I'd pondered that too as I believe there are some pretty decent home brew kits available in the UK. I don't know how you'd stand with the customs/excise guys if you got collared and explained it was purely for personal consumption. I do know that when we were down in Sisaket for the rocket festival earlier in the year, we had to be careful when swigging the rice wine, not just from a health point of view....

Cheers,

Pikey.

Tops at airport plaza used to get Newcastle brown ale now and again. I think it is better than all those german beers, except maybe Krokstriker, if that is how you spell it. I have found that Cheers Xtra is pretty good considering the source. But, of all those piss beers I like Leo the best.

On my many visits to the LOS I've tried most of what's on offer, but the thought struck me that I'd never actually fastened on a favourite, usually drinking whatever was available.

For a man of science this situation was obviously unsatisfactory, so this afternoon I conducted (with assistance from better half) a blind tasting of what I regard as the four most commonly encountered beers in Chiang Mai: Chang, Singha, Leo and Tiger.

All beer was served from small bottles at the same temperature, in slightly chilled glasses, and tasted blind. Assessments were made at both initial pouring, and after 5 minutes to allow for the features of each drop to exhibit themselves.

The rankings, and comments, were as follows:

1. Leo- clean, fresh- not a huge taste but refreshing

2. Chang- not far behind, simlilar character, but not quite as clean

3. Singha- the most distinctive taste, which stood out from the others. Hadn't noticed how different this was in the past.

4. Tiger- not a great taste, sort of "suddsy" (and yes the glass was clean).

I was suprised that Chang ranked so high, and Tiger so low. So I guess I'll be stocking the Leo from now on.

Singha sure has a distinctive taste and I like it! For me Leo and Chang are about the worst beers I have ever tasted.

Seems no mention of another two good beers available at 'Thai beer' prices. Asahi, clean and dry; and San Miguel, great flavour. I tried Cheers Xtra once, first few gulps seemed a bit rough, but amazing how quickly it became palatable - something to do with being 6.5% perhaps.

Seems no mention of another two good beers available at 'Thai beer' prices. Asahi, clean and dry; and San Miguel, great flavour. I tried Cheers Xtra once, first few gulps seemed a bit rough, but amazing how quickly it became palatable - something to do with being 6.5% perhaps.

I've never seen Asahi widely available in Chiang Mai. Has anyone else? Asahi is one of my favorite beers. I have seen those beer girls in the short, tight dresses pushing San Miguel in some of the restaurants but it's not one of my favorites.

Singha not bad since they took out or at least reduced the levels of the Formaldehyde...

dont feel so stiff in the mornings......otherwise its Big Heinees :)

Singha is brewed on the banks of the Chao Phraya River. Ever taken a boat cruise on the Chao Phraya and seen the inhabitants squatting over their piers and relieving themselves? I can't drink the stuff.

For local beer, I am a convert to Federbrau - much less of a hangover.

Bangkok Post reported in May that import tariffs on beer will be abolished from 2010.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/144372/

Rgds

Can't believe it'll happen - they'll find some tax to load on; otherwise bottles of draft Guiness from Beijing and KL for 100 baht? If that happens I'll put on 10kg in the first 3 months...

I like Tiger, can drink Singh if I'm in the mood, Chang Draft is much better than Chang, can't stand Leo - Beer Laos (especially Dark) is better than all of the others for me.

I've never seen Asahi widely available in Chiang Mai. Has anyone else? Asahi is one of my favorite beers. I have seen those beer girls in the short, tight dresses pushing San Miguel in some of the restaurants but it's not one of my favorites.

Asahi is almost always available in Tops. It's not at the top of my list though. I tried regular Cheers and didn't like it. I'll have to try the Cheers Xtra. But what do I know? I like Chang.

Singha not bad since they took out or at least reduced the levels of the Formaldehyde...

dont feel so stiff in the mornings......otherwise its Big Heinees :)

That's probably just your age. :D

Naaawww...cant be........... could it?.......time for a pint................ :D

Stuff the expense, Erdinger for me and if that's not available, Lao (not the Leo crap)

I'm with you on the Erdinger. Every real German beer I've had here has been far and away better than any other beer - although I like and drink the others too . . .

Personally I think the Czech pilsners are far ahead of the German beers. Unfortunately they don't travel well, so you have to go to the Czech Republic. It's worth the trip, and not just for the beers (the babes there are..., uh, the scenery is lovely).

In Thailand I look for Heineken beer bottled less than a month, so I can still taste the aromatic hops.

For local beer, I am a convert to Federbrau - much less of a hangover.

Bangkok Post reported in May that import tariffs on beer will be abolished from 2010.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/business/economics/144372/

Rgds

It does seem a bit unfair to the Thai breweries in this article, but dear God I hope it happens. Could you imagine a restaurant having like 10 beers on tap? Oh wait, I see it all the time in every other country.

Ah, Erdinger Dunkel...my winter beer in South Africa...

Thanks for all the comments, will have to try the Cheers although not usually a fan of beer in a can..

Maybe if the import tariff drops, we might even see some James Squire, the prince of beers, in Chiang Mai!