Old Bachelors In Chaing Mai

joe33

Hi, by way of introduction am an old guy in the mid 70's, have a modest us gov pension with healthcare(good overseas with some deductibles), have some savings to supplement pension although does not bring in much income as interest rates suck now and will probably stay low for some time in the future. Have no strings to keep me here anylonger so after doing a lot of research about retiring in the LOS, it seems that Chinag Mai stacks right up there. As one who has been in the LOS on short visits while working for the us gov I really enjoyed the culture, scenery, customs, and, Yes!, even the climate most of the time. I did get the chance to visit Pattaya which was ranked very high for entertainment and on the beach but found it was just not for me due to it's fast paced lifestyle and I find the beach not to my liking. Now I don't drink(bud still have the smoking habit), don't need a fast lifesytle so don't need all the nightlife action but even at my age, do like female companionship from time to time but have no intention of having any permanent relationship at my age. I do like to keep active by swimming and shoping around, watch TV new and surfing the internet. In general, just having a laid back lifestyle and enjoying myself with whatever I decide to do. From all the reviews it seems Chiang Mai has a good infrastructure and has everything I would need to keep one active and interested, the only real negative have read about is the smog there from time to time but maybe the lotlaying areas may not be affected. OK, just a lead in here and hope to get some good input from you guys that have lived the life there and may be inclined to give me real low-down from your experiences. Added-

am not interested in purchasing any real estate or doing any business there. Cheers and have a great day.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, Chiang Mai is everything that you mention.

2 main factors for consideration before deciding to make the big move.

No 1. Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be. One needs dosh here and lots of it.

For retirement visas Immigration imposes monies the sum of 800000 Thai baht savings in a Thai bank or 65000 baht per month pension income or a mix of both savings and pension income totalling 800000 baht. Cost of living expenses estimating for a single guy approx 30000 baht per month. Maybe get away with a bit less if you don’t mind counting the pennies when you spend.

No 2. How is your health? Although Thailand does have excellent health care facilities, this can prove to be very expensive, especially for long term health problems and serious illnesses.

So if you have no problems regarding health and finance that will see you through the rest of your life, than welcome to Chiang Mai.

Edited by sassienie
  • Like 1

Joe, sounds like you need to hook up with Ian Forbes (he will be along soon, no doubt), he has the "maps" you need I think.

In my humble opinion, Chiang Mai is a splendid choice.

Yes, there is the "choke" seasom early in the year when the farmers in the north slash and burn. Lasts abot 4 to 6 weeks. You can always take a trip south during that period.

Good luck.

J.

Yes, Chiang Mai is everything that you mention.

2 main factors for consideration before deciding to make the big move.

No 1. Thailand is no longer the bargain basement it used to be. One needs dosh here and lots of it.

For retirement visas Immigration imposes monies the sum of 800000 Thai baht savings in a Thai bank or 65000 baht per month pension income or a mix of both savings and pension income totalling 800000 baht. Cost of living expenses estimating for a single guy approx 30000 baht per month. Maybe get away with a bit less if you don't mind counting the pennies when you spend.

No 2. How is your health? Although Thailand does have excellent health care facilities, this can prove to be very expensive, especially for long term health problems and serious illnesses.

So if you have no problems regarding health and finance that will see you through the rest of your life, than welcome to Chiang Mai.

Ain't that the truth! As long as the U.S. Dollar remains weak, you will find it challenging to live on your social security income. The one thing that is still reasonable are rents.

One factor to seriously consider at your age is that you won't be able to purchase health insurance in Thailand. I'm not sure what insurance you have - Medicare? but it can't be used here. If you have some other type of private coverage that you can use overseas then O.K. My friend in Bangkok is 61 and could not get insurance here because of a pre-existing condition. He had a little scare at Suvarnabhumi Airport about six weeks ago and thought he was having a heart attack but it turned out to be an irregular heart rhythm. He was taken by ambulance to the hospital, checked out and monitored for 24 hours. When he was released he was handed a bill for 75,000 Baht (and a 300,000 Baht deposit on his credit card was required when he was admitted). Just something to consider.

joe, welcome. As a retired federal employee myself, I assume you're also covered by FEHPP. So you pay up front, submit your claims in English, and the insurance clerks in Boise or Savannah giggle about how absurdly little we're charged here by medical professors. I found one of the best hospitals in BKK to be clueless, and came north to be operated.

I also assume your pension is sufficient to meet the 65,000/month.

If you have no breathing problems now, the smoky season shouldn't bother you.

Sounds like CM will suit you well. Welcome.

Thanks for the welcome and fast replies, more than I expected in shuch a short time-frame. I have around 90k baht monthly pension (at current exchange rate) and Blue Cross/Shield gov insurance which is currently good while living overseas(God only know what is going to happen with it Obama ever gets the so called

"health reform" passed). Not going to bug you guys about details such as housing, food, etc., as plently of info available on many websites about that. However, I many ask where about such things as where the best spots are in a nice quiet location still convenient by local transportation to goods and services( don't want any car or motorbike there), and the nice quiet bars with good music and pool tables, and of course the best

swimming pools. Never had any problem interacting with the locals as have been in several countries during my gov career and found that as long as one is tolerant and respective of their customs and culture you'll get

along very well(especially even if make an attempt to learn just a few words of the local language). OK guys, keep it coming and many thanks. Best to all.

Not going to bug you guys about details such as housing, food, etc., as plently of info available on many websites about that. However, I many ask where about such things as where the best spots are in a nice quiet location still convenient by local transportation to goods and services( don't want any car or motorbike there), and the nice quiet bars with good music and pool tables, and of course the best swimming pools.

If you don't want a car or a motorbike then clearly you need to be living in the town. One area suitably endowed with the bits of civilisation you will be familiar with and might offer a gentler, smoother transition into Thailand's more basic lifestyle ,is Nimmenheimen. In particular you might find Punna Appartments to your liking. A studio rents for 15,000 baht per month and a one bed for 20/25,000 baht. One Daniel, a compatriot of yours recently advertised his Punna appartment for rent here : http://jef1947.over-blog.com/categorie-10701373.html. Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clickable address. Also : www.thepunna.net. gives you an idea of what's available for 20,000 baht per month which in my opinion is what you'll need to pay to be comfortable. I can't imagine you would be, paying only 10,000 baht.

As for living expenses ; it so happens I've just been calculating mine over the last six months :

Daily expenditure : basic necessities : food, entertainment, etc, 33,000 baht per month

Fixed Expenses : House Rent 20,000, Bike Rent plus fuel 3000, Utilities (Elec,TV, Phone, Internet) 3,900. Total 26,900 baht per month.

Total Living expenses : 60,000baht per month.

PS. It seems the address is clickable.

I'm an old bachelor like yourself and live in comfort but my no means luxury. I don't have a car.

Edited by Asmerom

Not going to bug you guys about details such as housing, food, etc., as plently of info available on many websites about that. However, I many ask where about such things as where the best spots are in a nice quiet location still convenient by local transportation to goods and services( don't want any car or motorbike there), and the nice quiet bars with good music and pool tables, and of course the best swimming pools.

If you don't want a car or a motorbike then clearly you need to be living in the town. One area suitably endowed with the bits of civilisation you will be familiar with and might offer a gentler, smoother transition into Thailand's more basic lifestyle ,is Nimmenheimen. In particular you might find Punna Appartments to your liking. A studio rents for 15,000 baht per month and a one bed for 20/25,000 baht. One Daniel, a compatriot of yours recently advertised his Punna appartment for rent here : http://jef1947.over-blog.com/categorie-10701373.html. Sorry, I don't know how to make it a clickable address. Also : www.thepunna.net. gives you an idea of what's available for 20,000 baht per month which in my opinion is what you'll need to pay to be comfortable. I can't imagine you would be, paying only 10,000 baht.

As for living expenses ; it so happens I've just been calculating mine over the last six months :

Daily expenditure : basic necessities : food, entertainment, etc, 33,000 baht per month

Fixed Expenses : House Rent 20,000, Bike Rent plus fuel 3000, Utilities (Elec,TV, Phone, Internet) 3,900. Total 26,900 baht per month.

Total Living expenses : 60,000baht per month.

PS. It seems the address is clickable.

I'm an old bachelor like yourself and live in comfort but my no means luxury. I don't have a car.

Sorry, no disrespect but you are paying waaaay too much for "basic" living expenses. My very comfortable 2 bed 2 bath house is 6,000/month rent and all utilities together including A/C on 12 hours per day never exceeds 2900.

Food and entertainment - 33,000 per month??? What exactly is included in "entertainment"?

Nieman's Hymen is convenient but expensive. A friend just rented a new air-con studio for 2,500 + electr (cable is free) in Santitam. I never spent over 8K for 2 bedrooms.

I do realise that you can find rooms, studios, appartments for much less than 20,000 baht. I've seen them. They're all over the place. Its difficult to escape noticing them but they strike me as being rather spartan, soulless places furnished in the latest approved reformatory style; the sort of places the probation service might consider suitable to rehabilitate released offenders. :)

But maybe there's more to your life than soft furnishings.

I don't own a motorbike and only ride a bicycle to get around. I live about 4K from the moat and go into town a least twice or more a day, so if you have no respiratory problems and healthy ticker then getting around with a bicycle is a breeze in CM and great exercise.

Enjoy this beautiful and peaceful town. :)

Nieman's Hymen is convenient but expensive. A friend just rented a new air-con studio for 2,500 + electr (cable is free) in Santitam. I never spent over 8K for 2 bedrooms.

I spent many years in Santitam and I liked it.

Don't be frightened off by those who like to show off. Chiangmai is still one of the worlds great bargains - just get yourself here, take a room somewhere and look around. You will find it's a lot cheaper than you think and right now it's a renters market whatever your budget. :)

Sorry, no disrespect but you are paying waaaay too much for "basic" living expenses. My very comfortable 2 bed 2 bath house is 6,000/month rent and all utilities together including A/C on 12 hours per day never exceeds 2900.

Food and entertainment - 33,000 per month???

What exactly is included in "entertainment"?

At my age very little, though I do pop in to Chiang Mai (I live in Mae Rim) about once a week to "take up residence" at some comfortable hotel like the PARK ( whch has baths deep enough to dive in) seeking peace and quiet and an escape from the idyllic ( read noisy) country life, surrounded by neighbouring crowing cockerels, clucking hens,cooing pigeons, cats, dogs, tractors and all manner of ploughing machines which are apparently a necessary part of rice cultivation.

What I find to do in Chiang Mai I know I can safely leave to your imagination ; browsing and buying books, eating at the many restaurants so appetisingly promoted here, just to give you a start. Though I do believe most of that 33,000 baht is probably spent on food in one way or another. Rimping and Carrefour appearing with monotonous regularity in my lists of expenses.

As for Utilities I just pay the bills : True Vision 1568, Maxnet 610, CAT 1000 ,Electric 500 etc, etc And I don't have aircon.

Its interesting and eyeopening to learn the details of how other people manage their expenses. It might help me economise.

But this thread is about the OP's wanting advice ; still I think it might be helpful.

Edited by Asmerom

I do realise that you can find rooms, studios, appartments for much less than 20,000 baht. I've seen them. They're all over the place. Its difficult to escape noticing them but they strike me as being rather spartan, soulless places furnished in the latest approved reformatory style; the sort of places the probation service might consider suitable to rehabilitate released offenders. :)

But maybe there's more to your life than soft furnishings.

The Moo Bahn where I built my house is a 10 minute ride at the very most to the night bazaar, so I'd say its 'in town'. There is a lovely 3 bedroomed house on 150TW with REALLY nice furnishings that has recently been rented to a foreigner for 15,000 Baht. Now, I think that's quite expensive for Chiangmai (but it's nice) and I have seen nice one and two bedroom homes for 6,000 Baht. When I lived in Santitam I paid 2,500 Baht a month for an air con place, though prices have now incresed -it was rather OK as I went out a lot, hardly ever stayed in. When I 'settled down' I rented a very nice 3 bedroom house in the same area I am in now for 6,000 Baht. The current occupier pays 8,000 Baht and the landlady is a real sweetheart.

It just depends what you want from living here, but I would go as far as saying you could live a decent lifestyle on $1,000 US a month, but the point about medical costs and insurance is well taken.

Shopping at Rimping et al will certainly eat away at a budget.

I still say, just come here for a couple of months, make friends, look around and check this forum out - you will soon have your own estimate of how much you need and after all that's what you really want (your own estimate) as the posters here are so varied. :D

am an old guy in the mid 70's

Hello, Joe --

You've started a useful topic for many retired men who come to this forum, to have a look around, as you are doing.

Living in Chiangmai, I've compared what I read on various forums with what I see with my own eyes.

Often the reality is very different than what is posted on forums.

You must go to look with your own eyes before you make any decisions about anything here.

Whatever your budget, you can find something suitable in Chiangmai.

Whatever you find in Chiangmai will be better than what you can get for the same money back in The States: apartment, food, clothing, medical care.

Some people on this forum talk about rents around 20,000 per month.

Others claim rents about 4,000 per month.

The difference gets you not just a nicer, bigger, apartment, but -- most important -- it gets you much better neighbors.

There is a surprising amount of foreigner "low-life" in Chiangmai.

I pay more to stay away from the neighborhoods where they congregate.

even at my age, do like female companionship from time to time but have no intention of having any permanent relationship at my age.

There are many options for exactly that, but far away from all the bars and brothels.

Nice ladies; happy to keep old guys like us company.

We have to reciprocate, of course, with cash, but that's standard procedure here.

More on that topic, if you wish, but must be in a private message in order to respect the forum rules.

I do like to keep active by swimming and shoping around ... From all the reviews it seems Chiang Mai has a good infrastructure and has everything I would need to keep one active and interested, the only real negative have read about is the smog there from time to time but maybe the lotlaying areas may not be affected.

That's a nice summary of Chiangmai.

For swimming, here's a beautiful pool: http://www.therealcentreoftheuniverse.com/

Yes, smog here is a problem, and it covers the entire region, from Northern Thailand up through Southern China, and from Burma to Vietnam.

The only escape is to get out of region for those two months.

But staying here can be bearable, with a few adjustments.

For smog season I purchased a good quality, electric air filter for my apartment, and, next year, will purchase a second one.

When I do go out during the burning season, I usually ride in air-conditioned taxis, and go to air-conditioned malls and restaurants.

So, it's workable.

If you're a smoker, you might not even notice it much.

But if you have lung disease, then it could be a serious problem here.

am not interested in purchasing any real estate or doing any business there.

Very wise.

There is no reason to buy real estate here, when so many rentals are available.

It's a "renter's market" now, and will be for years to come, with the world-wide recession.

Many who did buy, now are having trouble trying to sell, or rent out their properties.

Along the street I signs on telephone poles, in English, offering condos for sale or rent.

That's a good clue that the real estate market here is very weak.

I hope this is helpful to you.

You've opened an important topic, and you'll get all kinds of answers here.

If you have personal questions, you can also send private messages -- to any poster here who seems like they can offer some help.

-- Oneman

Chiangmai

I would be very interested to hear (and see?) what 8K can get you in Chiang Mai (condition, quality, location etc.)

I would be very interested to hear (and see?) what 8K can get you in Chiang Mai (condition, quality, location etc.)

8K will get you a very nice home - 2 or 3 bedrooms with nice garden in a nice moobaan, but outside the old city. Like the others said, it's a renters market out there.

BALI. Just returned with the wife from 2 week stay. Would move there. Not the beach, I have done the beach, the countryside. I have two 15 year old dogs-when they go- I go. Clean air, Nice people, (almost AGA LOS), price same , but weather and air- great.

Thanks for the welcome and fast replies, more than I expected in shuch a short time-frame. I have around 90k baht monthly pension (at current exchange rate) and Blue Cross/Shield gov insurance which is currently good while living overseas(God only know what is going to happen with it Obama ever gets the so called

"health reform" passed). Not going to bug you guys about details such as housing, food, etc., as plently of info available on many websites about that. However, I many ask where about such things as where the best spots are in a nice quiet location still convenient by local transportation to goods and services( don't want any car or motorbike there), and the nice quiet bars with good music and pool tables, and of course the best

swimming pools. Never had any problem interacting with the locals as have been in several countries during my gov career and found that as long as one is tolerant and respective of their customs and culture you'll get

along very well(especially even if make an attempt to learn just a few words of the local language). OK guys, keep it coming and many thanks. Best to all.

Do not worry about Obama. I am sure our grandchildren will forgive us for paying into retirement and SS, and then, sneaking the money back as tax cuts-sticking them with the bill.

As one who also had his nose in the "Federal trough" be aware that your meds will not be covered unless scripted by a US doc. Means I must return each year. I visit the kids. For you ? a long flight?

8K will get you a very nice home - 2 or 3 bedrooms with nice garden in a nice moobaan, but outside the old city. Like the others said, it's a renters market out there.

Thanks elektrified for the info.

What is a moobaan? Would such areas outside the old city be nice "good" areas (mostly locals?) or rather more run down?

The OP said he doesn't want a car or motorcycle, but he does like to swim. Hillside 4 sounds like the perfect building. A very nice pool and within walking distance of almost everything. 10,000 baht for a 45 sq m studio apt should be within his budget too.

90 k a month is a great deal of money to live in Chiang Mai. Start out at one of the long stay residences while you decide where to live. They are furnished, cleaning can usually be had and most have restaurants attached.

Some people on this forum talk about rents around 20,000 per month.

Others claim rents about 4,000 per month.

The difference gets you not just a nicer, bigger, apartment, but -- most important -- it gets you much better neighbors.

There is a surprising amount of foreigner "low-life" in Chiangmai.

I pay more to stay away from the neighborhoods where they congregate.

My rent for my fan only room is under 2650baht (including water). I live in a quiet real world Thai neighborhood in a well maintained 5 to 7 years old apartment building with cabletv, wifi internet (not great) and frig. The building is less than 4K from the moat. About 20% of my decent neighbors are expats, some with real wifes.

I guess I found the only gem in CM. :)

...be aware that your meds will not be covered unless scripted by a US doc. Means I must return each year. I visit the kids. For you ? a long flight?
The OP is well-covered by Blue Cross/Blue Shield from the USA, which probably pays for Thai doctors in Thailand, unlike SS Medicare.

My rent for my fan only room is under 2650baht (including water). I live in a quiet real world Thai neighborhood in a well maintained 5 to 7 years old apartment building with cabletv, wifi internet (not great) and frig. The building is less than 4K from the moat. About 20% of my decent neighbors are expats, some with real wifes.

That's a good deal. How much is it without the frig?

Do you really think a 75 year old American with an income of 90,000 baht per month would choose to live in one room with or without aircon? If he really wanted to rough it, he could always bring his own tent and camp out in Huay Tueng Tao. I would imagine most Americans would be very happy to spend one quarter of their income on housing themselves with as many mod cons as they can afford and as much space as they can get for their money. So he should be looking at renting something in the region of 20,000 baht or just above. Perhaps he can find a nice house in a pleasant Moo Bann in Hang Dong for 15,000. Fine, but to whittle on about 2,650 for a man with 90,000 to spend is a bit pointless however proud you may be of your acheivement in finding such "a gem". Congratulations, and I'm sure you and your frig will be very happy. I sincerely hope so.

Edited by Asmerom