D-link Wireless Router - Problem Staying Connected

sorensen

I have TRUE ADSL and and just connected a D-Link Wireless router. Setup was easy and it is working fast and fine on one laptop, but my second laptop will only load 1-2 pages before it disconnect.

I have had a look at Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and tried most options.

Any other settings I can adjust to solve this problem?

Robert

You might try a different channel for your wireless signal - perhaps there is interference affecting that second laptop more than the first.

For the 2640T model that is done on the D-Link at home/wireless page.

Edited by lopburi3

I have TRUE ADSL and and just connected a D-Link Wireless router. Setup was easy and it is working fast and fine on one laptop, but my second laptop will only load 1-2 pages before it disconnect.

I have had a look at Tools -> Internet Options -> Connections -> LAN Settings and tried most options.

Robert

You don't say if it's a merely a Router or one with an inbuilt modem e.g ADSL Modem/Router. However the problem is more likely to be with your laptop. You can choose on whether Windows should manage your wireless connection or use the one supplied with the Dlink Router. Try switching from one to the other. The Windows utility works with budget non Intel wireless adapters whose manufacturers often supply rather weak drivers.

You might try a different channel for your wireless signal - perhaps there is interference affecting that second laptop more than the first.

For the 2640T model that is done on the D-Link at home/wireless page.

Good suggestion. I am currently using channel 6 (the default setting), but I will try to change channel and see if it works better. I will post the result later.

Robert

You don't say if it's a merely a Router or one with an inbuilt modem e.g ADSL Modem/Router. However the problem is more likely to be with your laptop. You can choose on whether Windows should manage your wireless connection or use the one supplied with the Dlink Router. Try switching from one to the other. The Windows utility works with budget non Intel wireless adapters whose manufacturers often supply rather weak drivers.

I have the Billion modem from TRUE and just use the D-Link router for Wireless. My work laptop is using Intel PROSet(Wireless) and that one is working fine, while the second laptop is using a standard Window wireless software and not working.

The D-link router did not come with any wireless softeware. Is it available to download? Are Intel PROSet wireless free to download?

Robert

Which model do you use?

There's a firmware upgrade that should fix those dropped connections but it depends on the model

It is a D-Link Model DI-614+

Any link to that firmware?

to no avail

DI-614+ ENHANCED 2.4GHZ (802.11B) WIRELESS ROUTER

This product has been discontinued

www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DI-614%2b

(please copy/paste above link into your browser - a direct link will open the home page)

Which model do you use?

There's a firmware upgrade that should fix those dropped connections but it depends on the model

It is a D-Link Model DI-614+

Any link to that firmware?

to no avail

DI-614+ ENHANCED 2.4GHZ (802.11B) WIRELESS ROUTER

This product has been discontinued

www.dlink.com/products/?pid=DI-614%2b

(please copy/paste above link into your browser - a direct link will open the home page)

I see. Too bad - so sad. Technology is moving fast in cyber world.

Still weird it is working perfectly fine on one laptop and can't stay connected on the other. :) ..... :D

Robert

If it's a matter of a firmware update - check out the D-Link Australian site.

http://www.dlink.com.au/tech/Default.asp

DI-614+ REV A - v2.34 available for download

DI-614+ REV B - v3.44b01 available for download

Other support items there. And check out their advice on how to restore firmware if you manage to stuff it up. Good luck.