Brit Arrested With Bogus Banknotes In Phuket

george

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

But when Thais do the same, they must be doing something wrong, at least according to some know-it-all Brits....your expertise in this is about as good as the chances of England winning Germany in football...ouch. :)

And your Grammar is on a par with a 5 year old. It should be "England beating Germany at football".

Taking cheap shots at someone whose native tongue is probably not English is beneath contempt. But if we must be perfect, note that ''grammar'' is not a capitalised word.

The daily limit, without special authorisation, on most UK ATMs is still £200.00. They do not dispense £20.00 notes. The £20.00 note is acknowledged as being extrememly difficult to forge. They are obtainable only from the tellers inside the bank.

If they are fake, then the man is an idiot to try and change them at any recognised exchange facility.

eh? Other thasn a few out of the way branches (countryside ATMs etc) that seem to have a 250 limit, 500 per transaction is normal in my experience. Also, they nearly always kick out 20's. Sometimes tens too. No other demomination since they stopped stacking fivers twenty odd years ago.

I worked for a major UK bank many moons ago and I once attended a management course where I met a guy from bullion - they dealt with sorting money for ATMs (as nopposed to gold as the title would suggest!) - he admitted to me they often put forged notes back into circulation as the branches took so much of it in that it could cause a dent in the profits - and they could not claim the value back from the treasury. That was the better part of two decades ago, so may well have changed now, but I doubt it.

Someone was asking who brings in sterling rather than changing in their own country - I made the mistake while in the UK in May of changing up two grand (sterling) - I got just under 51, when the Thai rate was 56 - an expensive mistake of some 200 quid! (the mrs was not happy with me). We either transfer as sterling or bring cash in sterling. We don't use banks to exchange thoughm there are places to get better prices in Bangkok on the way through.

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

Do they? :) More like 500 per day from my experience.

lloyds tsb is £200 per day at the atm

It's not a clear cut as that, I use Lloyds TSB and I can withdraw £500 per day. This is standard on the Premier account, the daily amount varies depending on which type of account you have.

i stand corrected mine is a lloyds tsb standard a/c £200 per day uk or overseas halifax is £300 per day as is nationwide

But when Thais do the same, they must be doing something wrong, at least according to some know-it-all Brits....your expertise in this is about as good as the chances of England winning Germany in football...ouch. :)

And your Grammar is on a par with a 5 year old. It should be "England beating Germany at football".

Taking cheap shots at someone whose native tongue is probably not English is beneath contempt. But if we must be perfect, note that ''grammar'' is not a capitalised word.

A teacher?

The daily limit, without special authorisation, on most UK ATMs is still £200.00. They do not dispense £20.00 notes. The £20.00 note is acknowledged as being extrememly difficult to forge. They are obtainable only from the tellers inside the bank.

If they are fake, then the man is an idiot to try and change them at any recognised exchange facility.

eh? Other thasn a few out of the way branches (countryside ATMs etc) that seem to have a 250 limit, 500 per transaction is normal in my experience. Also, they nearly always kick out 20's. Sometimes tens too. No other demomination since they stopped stacking fivers twenty odd years ago.

I worked for a major UK bank many moons ago and I once attended a management course where I met a guy from bullion - they dealt with sorting money for ATMs (as nopposed to gold as the title would suggest!) - he admitted to me they often put forged notes back into circulation as the branches took so much of it in that it could cause a dent in the profits - and they could not claim the value back from the treasury. That was the better part of two decades ago, so may well have changed now, but I doubt it.

Someone was asking who brings in sterling rather than changing in their own country - I made the mistake while in the UK in May of changing up two grand (sterling) - I got just under 51, when the Thai rate was 56 - an expensive mistake of some 200 quid! (the mrs was not happy with me). We either transfer as sterling or bring cash in sterling. We don't use banks to exchange thoughm there are places to get better prices in Bangkok on the way through.

use the atm card from the uk with your passport inside the bank NOT IN THE ATM best rate and no fees, no risk and any amount so long you have the funds in the uk bank takes 10-15mins easy

Edited by djc45

High chance that the guy is guilty but you never know. I remember a case where a young German girl was arrested for allegedly trying to change a fake US$100 bill at a foreign exchange booth in Bangkok. She claimed that the "fake" bill had been produced by the bank employee from under the counter. She had taken the one she gave him from her money belt where it had been folded several times to fit in the belt, while the "fake" only had one fold in it. She was hauled off by the police and forced to pay an unreceipted "fine" for the serious charge to go away. That one was almost certainly a scam set up by the bank employee and the police in the Kingpower style. However, it seems unlikely in the Phuket case as they are less likely to use fake sterling notes in a scam and there seems not to have been any obvious attempt at extortion. There still remains the possibility that there was nothing wrong with the notes and the teller misidentified them or used out of date information. Phuket immigration also claimed that the British boxer had a false passport which turned out to be genuine.

Does anyone know the law regarding the use of fake notes? If you attempt to use fake notes are you breaking the law?, or if you knowingly attempt to use fake notes are you breaking the law?

If you are breaking the law by unknowingly using fake notes then surely people could get nailed left, right and center just for having the misfortune of receiving fake notes.

If you are knowingly using fake notes unless it can be proven that you have bought or produced them then surely it's just your word against

the bank you tried to exchange them at.

This article makes no sense. If the banknotes have been sent to Bangkok to determine if they are a forgery, they are either damned good fakes or simply new and real. I have encountered numerous problems exchanging notes from European countries in the past. In Izan each and every note was compared with an color copy in a huge binder. My notes were rejected more than once, because they were slightly different than in their "big" book. It always worked out that they did not had their book updated. Why should anyone go to a bank to exchange 20, 20 pounds notes that were fake? They would have been exchanged in shops or hotels not in banks. The fact that a foreigner is released on bail is also proof that they are far from sure. Take my word for it that half the police force have checked the notes already, and the notes have seen numerous banktellers.

There is no forgery here as it looks, at the most passing on fake notes, but I dare to put my money on the fact that nothing is wrong.

nearly off topic, but once in the States, I took forty $50 bills in to deposit. I had counted the wad several times in my car before entering my bank. The woman teller counted them by hand and claimed there were 39 bills. I couldn't argue with her, but I felt I lost $50 by her sleight of hand.

Edited by brahmburgers

Talking about fleeing, WHAT IF, he could somehow cross the border to Malaysia, obviously without his passport . Then he went to the UK embassy in KL, would they send him back or give him a new passport?

I have wondered before about this situation, i sure you could cross somewhere remotely.

Hi All,

A friend of mine recently visited me from England, we went into the local town to our village and went to several banks to try and exchange his money, only one bank would...can't remember off hand which one it was. He had new and old 20's...the bank clerk got his big book of banknotes out and looked up the english £20...he would only accept the new £20's and not the old £20's.

Maybe the big book of banknotes in the bank in Phuket has the old £20 rather than the new £20 as a reference, a genuine mistake which hopefully will be sorted in Bangkok.

Block

Talking about fleeing, WHAT IF, he could somehow cross the border to Malaysia, obviously without his passport . Then he went to the UK embassy in KL, would they send him back or give him a new passport?

I have wondered before about this situation, i sure you could cross somewhere remotely.

I wonder if the British Embassy in Bangkok would issue him with a new passport anyway ?

Isn't that how the Irish woman in the airport scam managed to get out of the country when facing charges and demands for money, maybe the Irish Embassy operate slightly differently ?

Edited by ukrules

Well if they didnt find any printing equipment etc how can they charge him with "Forgery" ? I dont buy his story about pulling the dodgy notes from an ATM in England, but its easily checked by the Banks in England. Sounds like the guy just bought some dodgy notes down the pub and thought he could pass them off as real whilst on Holiday - silly boy! :D

Where does the report mention anything about an ATM withdrawal ??

"He told police he withdrew 1,500 pounds from a branch of Lloyds TSB in England before coming to Thailand on holiday last month."

In fact if it was possible to withdraw those particular notes from an ATM - then it is probable that they would NOT be counterfeit, as the bank's processing of notes prior to loading the ATM is very thorough.

You dont know what your talking about. my brother manages a branch of :) the bank of montreal and a few fake notes get through the atm every year at their branch its very possible he got it from the bank. the tell tale is when they search his room if they find more. no one buys just one fake note

Well it's gone very quiet, with no other reference to the case on the web other that what has been mentioned here. Will the BIB have egg on their faces tomorrow, or will the notes be confirmed as fake?

I telephoned a friend at the British Embassy this evening, and he said he had heard nothing through official channels, but there again ......... :)

Maybe the big book of banknotes in the bank in Phuket has the old £20 rather than the new £20 as a reference, a genuine mistake which hopefully will be sorted in Bangkok.

Maybe the old 20s are now phased out in the UK (havent seen one in ages) and are no longer legal tender ....... you'd need to take them to a UK bank to exchange for a new one if this is the case.

Edited by sanmiguellight

This is why I always use the automated machines at the airport to turn my counterfeit notes into Baht.

Also, there have been numerous cases in the US of bank tellers giving out counterfeit notes. Basically the teller is lazy and fails to check their authenticity when they get deposited, and passes them back out to the next customer doing a withdrawal. Or in some cases the teller realizes they're fake after accepting them, and then intentionally gives them out to other customers to avoid getting in trouble.

Either his stories kosher and a British ATM machine can't detect counterfeit ---mmmmmm'

Or..

Their kosher and the tellers mucked up...

Or..

The teller knows the difference cos he handles cash day in day out...

I'm inclined to put money on the latter..

But somewhere down the line these new bills are new to thai tellers too, so why wouldn`t they make mistakes..

But when Thais do the same, they must be doing something wrong, at least according to some know-it-all Brits....your expertise in this is about as good as the chances of England winning Germany in football...ouch. :D

Eggcactly :D

Hate to break it to you mate, but not every falang in Thailand is British :)

why in this day of technology is anyone walking around with the thick end of 75,000 baht in his pocket?was he looking for a lady boy to steal it from him? It for sure was his first time in Phuket,he was lucky(or stupid)that he made it all the way to the bank without some smiling Thai relieving him of his hard forged money.Tough luck,be more aware and wise up!!!

I will give you 400 pound, you give me 60,000 Baht OK? :) you can keep the other 15,000 Baht as commission. maybe you and JJ should get together.

Pay attention, he tried to change 400 Pounds, he brought 1,500 Pounds with him. Mcinnes had read the post and so he knew that the man had 1,500 Pounds with him. If you had read the post, this fact obviously didn't sink in :D

Either his stories kosher and a British ATM machine can't detect counterfeit ---mmmmmm'

Or..

Their kosher and the tellers mucked up...

Or..

The teller knows the difference cos he handles cash day in day out...

I'm inclined to put money on the latter..

What is the matter with you people! So many of you keep on referring to ATMs. Despite being pointed out so many times already, he went into a branch of LloydsTSB and withdrew the money.

Hopefully for the last time - Listen very carefully, I will say this only once (though it has been said soooooooooooo many times by others.

Pay attention now

Put that beer down

Stop doing that thing with your other hand - you know it will make you go blind.

" He withdrew the money from a branch of LloydsTSB"

If you don't understand plain English, that means that he entered a branch of the bank and withdrew the money.

He did NOT withdraw the money from an ATM !

I'm starting to think that this forum needs a vetting procedure for new members to make sure that they have an intelligence level higher than a goat.

I find your post extremely insulting to GOATS :D:D

Most Banks have a limit of £200.00 per day from ATM machines in the UK. So unless the person in question had a number of accounts it is unlikely that he got the notes by that method

He told police he withdrew 1,500 pounds from a branch of Lloyds TSB in England before coming to Thailand on holiday last month.

Where did they mention they came from an ATM? :)

Please let me know of any ATM that will pay out £1500 ???

Probably got offered some cheap money and believed he could easily pass it on in Thailand, did not realise that a Thai bank clerk in Phuket probable handles hundreds of £20 pound notes every day.

Please let me know of any ATM that will pay out £1500 ???

I wish, the £500 per day limit is a real pain. I find it's often inconvenient to go into a bank branch and stand in a queue like an idiot for half an hour just because you need some more of your own ready cash.

I see no reason why the limits can't be increased to £1000 or more, that would be more like it, they should issue £50 notes as well to stop the wallet being so fat.

In Thailand I have taken out 50k baht in one go on my normal VISA card (was at pantip). Funny one can take out more here per go than back home.

Any idea what bank that machine belonged to ? I thought the ATMs were limited to 25,000 a go.

In Thailand I have taken out 50k baht in one go on my normal VISA card (was at pantip). Funny one can take out more here per go than back home.

Any idea what bank that machine belonged to ? I thought the ATMs were limited to 25,000 a go.

It was red, third floor iirc, next to the escalators (left hand side going up) and it was some years ago. Now I no longer spend that much on computer parts in one go. :)

btw; how do you make the "stylized L", "LB" symbol on your keyboard?

Just to add to -redwood's post, for anyone who's interested, if you are running MS Windows you can also use Character Map.

It's (usually) found in the START >> ALL PROGRAMS >> ACCESSORIES >> SYSTEM TOOLS folder.

http://supreme-hosting.info/character-map-1.png

http://supreme-hosting.info/character-map-2.png

http://supreme-hosting.info/character-map-3.png

You can also find ¥, ฿, and € in there should you need them.

Please note though, that lb/pound (the weight) is not the same as £/pound Sterling (the currency).

A bit off-topic, but maybe useful in the future to someone.

Sabai-Dee-Man.

Sabai-Dee-Man.gif

Well lets see maybe he did get the notes from a bank in Uk and maybe they were real notes.

Maybe he handed over the real notes to the Nakorn Luang Thai Bank and as he was probably unable to track the movements of the notes from the time of handing them over who is to say that he was not a victim of yet another scam in Thailand with the bank replacing his real notes with fakes they had inadvertently taken from another customer. :):D

You really have been here too long (or read TV too much!) :D

Well if they didnt find any printing equipment etc how can they charge him with "Forgery" ? I dont buy his story about pulling the dodgy notes from an ATM in England, but its easily checked by the Banks in England. Sounds like the guy just bought some dodgy notes down the pub and thought he could pass them off as real whilst on Holiday - silly boy! :D

Well ! he must be innocent..................you see, he's British ole chap ! :)

Well lets see maybe he did get the notes from a bank in Uk and maybe they were real notes.

Maybe he handed over the real notes to the in the Nakorn Luang Thai Bank and as he was probably unable to track the movements of the notes from the time of handing them over who is to say that he was not a victim of yet another scam in Thailand with the bank replacing his real notes with fakes they had inadvertently taken from another customer.

There is no mention of him posessing any other fake notes or otherwise and as has been posted many times already where did he get the bail money.

This is noy making sense really - I guess another case of tourist or farang beware.

Surely those notes can be traced back through his bank statement and the ATM in the UK ?