Difficult Or Near Impossible For Thai People To Get Visas To Foreign Countries

livinthailandos

I just simply wanted to post this for a few various reasons but none the less I feel certain some embassies actually have no interest in giving visas. Mind you I am aware that for thai people you either

Probably 500,000 baht or more in bangkok account

House Title

Employment Verification and lots of other requirements to. Which I understand why but I feel some embassies should just put a giant sign on their embassy just saying straight out WE DON"T WELCOME THAI's period. Also it would appear to me that even if you are married to a foreigner. I've heard stories ( key word stories ) that if a thai marries a foreigner the process just to go the foreigners country can easily take 2 years.

Have any of you had, seen, know of events like this. My thai wife has been fine getting a visa, but she works to and we make better money here anyway. She's gotten visas to Japan, UK, Switzerland, Austria. A few other places to. The only place we won't waste the time on is to get a tourist visa for the U.S. . any comments, are welcome.

The reason for the difficulty is that many of the visa requests are indeed dubious or present problem. There are far too many people with an inability to financially support themselves seeking visas. For those that are legit, it is a hassle, but that is due to people like Wally the marginal worker trying to bring back Petunia the bar girl or Pingpong the bar boy. It serves to protect these people from exploitation by their benevolent farang benefactors as well. Thailand has no problem deporting people or incarcerating illegal immigrants so the need for vigilance isn't quite the same as for countries where it can take a decade to remove an illegal immigrant. Every year tens of thousands of visitors on tourists visas never leave the UK or Canada etc. They disappear or claim refugee status. That is why these countries are so tough on granting visas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It would be nice for all concerned if the requirements to get a visa were more transparent.

Apparently the "requirements" someone listed above are not quite right, as someone else said his girl got a visa w/out anywhere near that amount of money.

There are also factors which disqualify one for a visa, I think - isn't any history as a sex-worker or bar girl one such?

I just simply wanted to post this for a few various reasons but none the less I feel certain some embassies actually have no interest in giving visas. Mind you I am aware that for thai people you either

Probably 500,000 baht or more in bangkok account

House Title

Employment Verification and lots of other requirements to. Which I understand why but I feel some embassies should just put a giant sign on their embassy just saying straight out WE DON"T WELCOME THAI's period. Also it would appear to me that even if you are married to a foreigner. I've heard stories ( key word stories ) that if a thai marries a foreigner the process just to go the foreigners country can easily take 2 years.

Have any of you had, seen, know of events like this. My thai wife has been fine getting a visa, but she works to and we make better money here anyway. She's gotten visas to Japan, UK, Switzerland, Austria. A few other places to. The only place we won't waste the time on is to get a tourist visa for the U.S. . any comments, are welcome.

You seem to be contradicting yourself a bit here - the first part of the posts states, along with the title, that it is difficult or near impossible for Thai to get a visa then you go on to say in the last paragraph that your actual experience of this through your wife is that she has obtained visas to many countries without a problem.

To answer your question, my only experience of getting a visa was for my wife to the UK which wasn't a problem despite the fact that she didn't have a job, house or 500,000 baht to her name.

It would be nice for all concerned if the requirements to get a visa were more transparent.

Apparently the "requirements" someone listed above are not quite right, as someone else said his girl got a visa w/out anywhere near that amount of money.

There are also factors which disqualify one for a visa, I think - isn't any history as a sex-worker or bar girl one such?

I assume this would depend on the country the visa is for though I am not aware of any restrictions on sex-workers for the UK.

Rightfully so IMO. Just difficult or near impossible for people who have virtually no assets in Thailand (which after generations and generations anywhere is kind of odd).

The exact kind of folks who are likely never to return (not a huge issue in itself) and likely to create a financial drain on the host country.

:)

Edited by Heng

Rightfully so IMO. Just difficult or near impossible for people who have virtually no assets in Thailand (which after generations and generations anywhere is kind of odd).

Nothing odd about it - the vast majority of people in every country ("rich" countries included) have no assets to speak of. Most people everywhere are a month or two away from poverty if they lose their income. Taxes, debt and children keep the masses from ever accumulating any wealth/freedom.

The exact kind of folks who are likely never to return (not a huge issue in itself) and likely to create a financial drain on the host country.

Then again, every country needs cheap labor. The US lets millions of Mexican and Central American peasants just walk across the border every year, and no effort whatsoever is made to deport those people. So why so hard on Thai and other people?

I assume this would depend on the country the visa is for though I am not aware of any restrictions on sex-workers for the UK.

The US visa ask some question about it, but answering yes is not an automatic denial.

The problem with having a list of requirements is people would easily forge all the requirements. A Thai has to convince the embassy that he/she intends to return to Thailand.

I really don't blame the embassies for the barrier to entry. It only takes a visit to a couple Thai restaurants in the States to find someone working there illegally. It is those people who make it difficult for the rest of the Thais who want to actually go to the US for a visit and not to make a quick buck.

If you're a citizen of one of these countries you don't need a visa to enter the US:

Andorra Iceland Norway Australia Ireland Portugal Austria Italy San Marino Belgium Japan Singapore Brunei Latvia Slovakia Czech Republic Liechtenstein Slovenia Denmark Lithuania South Korea Estonia Luxembourg Spain Finland Malta Sweden France Monaco Switzerland Germany the Netherlands United Kingdom Hungary New Zealand

Argentina and Uruguay used to be on the list, but got booted off. South Korea and the eastern European countries are new additions. You can also visit visa-free if you're from Canada or Bermuda. Interesting which countries are on the list and which aren't. Why Portugal and not Greece, for example? Why not Hong Kong, Taiwan? Why not Israel and the rich Gulf oil states? Supposedly because citizens of those countries are more likely to stay on illegally.

Edited by dumbnewbie

Nothing odd about it - the vast majority of people in every country ("rich" countries included) have no assets to speak of. Most people everywhere are a month or two away from poverty if they lose their income. Taxes, debt and children keep the masses from ever accumulating any wealth/freedom.

Odd from a middle class point of view. Particularly in countries where legacy and inheritance (with virtually no gov't interference in terms of estate/inheritance taxes) is common and expected. Agree that poverty is more of a norm in the world.

Then again, every country needs cheap labor. The US lets millions of Mexican and Central American peasants just walk across the border every year, and no effort whatsoever is made to deport those people. So why so hard on Thai and other people?

I'd say most countries that have the door open probably let in more than they can afford or need in cheap labor.

:D

To be honest, it is all a bit of a joke. In the UK we opened our borders to some Eastern European countries a few years ago....the net result we have an invasion of Eastern Europeans and god knows who else...they need no paperwork and some expolit 'the system' as soon as they get here......healthcare etc etc.

We even have illegal immgrants hanging onto trains, hiding in lorries etc etc. By-passing every country in between eg. France, the illegals even have camps set up at the Eurotunnel (on the French side!), just waiting for the next truck to hide in to get to UK....pathetic border control!

Honestly, I don't even think the UK government has even the slightest idea how many illegal immigrants are in the country!

Then when I want to take my legit GF to UK, we have to jump through hoops, wanting to know everything, waiting, forms, telephone calls....so much to the extent that my recent visit to UK, we could just not be bothered with all the hassle, which is a shame.

Yes, I know all the arguments before you all bang on, but really....some Eastern Europe chav ready to 'get what he can' in the UK or my GF who is supported by me?

Dunno, but all a bit of a farce really!

I have personal experience of the UK and USA not welcoming Thais. In both of these countries, Thais are assumed to be potential illegal workers. In both countries, Thais have relatively large support networks to assist and sustain visa over-stayers. Most of these, like the Chinese, will help and support Thais simply because they are Thais. I cant speak for Aussie and NZ, or even for the rest of Europe, and am not going to go off on tangents such as eastern europeans coming to UK.

One question though. Nothing in life is accidental and there is no such thing as coincidence. If the UK and USA assume Thais are dishonest and will breach the terms of their entry privilege,

why would that be?

Kev

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

I travelled to Holland in Jan 2008 for two weeks training. As I have a South African passport I needed to apply for a Schengen visa in BKK. I thought this was an excellent opportunity for my (Thai) wife to see Holland and experience a real winter...

The first thing the Dutch embassy official said was that he would not even consider my application if my wife was included.

I could show numerous Schengen visas in my passports going back 10 years and we have travelled together to China and Malaysia before. I produced a joint account with more than enough money to support ourselves for two <deleted> weeks. :)

He wasn't very impressed when I asked him to give me one good reason why we would want to leave this country for his dreary swampland. :D:D

cumbersome, but not impossible

never had my visa to any country turned down yet. and I have no land or assets, just some bare minimum in bank account, coupled with employment letter,

some places have needed insurance

some have needed invitation from someone in the visiting country (be it a friend or an organisation)

not tried Japan though. Ive often been told that it is very difficult for a single thai woman to get visa to Japan (those that go tend to do so on tour groups, or with their parents, or husbands - not sure if this is really accurate though. just stories I have heard over the years).

For decades thousands of Thai girls and women were given visas to the US for various reasons. Thousands of these women never returned to Thailand. That ruined the system for everyone now who wants to bring a girl or woman to the US for most any reason. I live in Bangkok and have had occasion to visit the US Embassy to get a new passport or some additional pages. I think they have an appointment system now but before there was always a sea of young females and Americans trying to get visas for their true love. It was always a comical sight. Bargirls in ill fitting business outfits and their benefactors all standing by the hundreds in the sun. I just followed the very small sign that said US Citizens and no lines or problems.

To be honest, it is all a bit of a joke. In the UK we opened our borders to some Eastern European countries a few years ago....the net result we have an invasion of Eastern Europeans and god knows who else...they need no paperwork and some expolit 'the system' as soon as they get here......healthcare etc etc.

We even have illegal immgrants hanging onto trains, hiding in lorries etc etc. By-passing every country in between eg. France, the illegals even have camps set up at the Eurotunnel (on the French side!), just waiting for the next truck to hide in to get to UK....pathetic border control!

Honestly, I don't even think the UK government has even the slightest idea how many illegal immigrants are in the country!

Then when I want to take my legit GF to UK, we have to jump through hoops, wanting to know everything, waiting, forms, telephone calls....so much to the extent that my recent visit to UK, we could just not be bothered with all the hassle, which is a shame.

Yes, I know all the arguments before you all bang on, but really....some Eastern Europe chav ready to 'get what he can' in the UK or my GF who is supported by me?

Dunno, but all a bit of a farce really!

Second everything you say brother ,my thoughts exactly !!!!!!!!!!

By the way whenever I fill out any of these poxy forms and it asks my nationalality I allways put in capitals ENGLISH even though their option list only offers Europeon or UK citizen

For decades thousands of Thai girls and women were given visas to the US for various reasons. Thousands of these women never returned to Thailand. That ruined the system for everyone now who wants to bring a girl or woman to the US for most any reason. I live in Bangkok and have had occasion to visit the US Embassy to get a new passport or some additional pages. I think they have an appointment system now but before there was always a sea of young females and Americans trying to get visas for their true love. It was always a comical sight. Bargirls in ill fitting business outfits and their benefactors all standing by the hundreds in the sun. I just followed the very small sign that said US Citizens and no lines or problems.

Yes. they have an appointment system for both sides. For the Visa section, you can now do everything online, and set up an interview appointment. You hand carry your hard copy documents for your appointment.

Barry

Funny story:

An American buddy of mine was returning to the US and his Thai gf was pestering him to take her with him for a visit. He tells her that if she can get a visa, he'll take her, all the while thinking she won't get one.

Down the the US Embassy she goes and gets a 10 year multiple entry, no problems :)

Last I heard, they been in the USA for over a year, happy as clams :D

Edited by Lancelot

Most of my friends have quite a bit in the wawy of assets, so they have had no problem at all getting a visa.  However, over the last 6 years or so, I have had 5 people without many assets apply for a visa to travel with me to the US for varios reasons (attending trade shows to simple tourism.)  Only one was turned down, a woman who was so nervous that she forgot her address and phone number when asked during her interview.  They others were all approved, with three of the four getting 10-year multiple-entry visas.

I have also had two employees apply for visas to man booths at trade shows, and both received their visas without problem.

I have personal experience of the UK and USA not welcoming Thais. In both of these countries, Thais are assumed to be potential illegal workers. In both countries, Thais have relatively large support networks to assist and sustain visa over-stayers. Most of these, like the Chinese, will help and support Thais simply because they are Thais. I cant speak for Aussie and NZ, or even for the rest of Europe, and am not going to go off on tangents such as eastern europeans coming to UK. One question though. Nothing in life is accidental and there is no such thing as coincidence. If the UK and USA assume Thais are dishonest and will breach the terms of their entry privilege, why would that be? Kev

HAHA, it can be your hapiness thinking like this but your gov. seems to have different theory. No criminal/terorist record and lot of money and thai's it. My brother in law (now back to TL) even got Brit. citizenship after studying there for many years. I got VISA extension easily in Croydon sometimes the immigration officers even came to the cumpus and they don't ask Uhm, you ar Thai? Will you work illegally? No? Really, are you small liar or big liar anyway? It's the same there, poor foreigner they don't like, rich one is OK :D

The UK VISA application is standardised for any foreigner. I don't think they specifically want to ask a Thai "Have you been member of the German NAZI party?" :)

I have personal experience of the UK and USA not welcoming Thais. In both of these countries, Thais are assumed to be potential illegal workers. In both countries, Thais have relatively large support networks to assist and sustain visa over-stayers. Most of these, like the Chinese, will help and support Thais simply because they are Thais. I cant speak for Aussie and NZ, or even for the rest of Europe, and am not going to go off on tangents such as eastern europeans coming to UK. One question though. Nothing in life is accidental and there is no such thing as coincidence. If the UK and USA assume Thais are dishonest and will breach the terms of their entry privilege, why would that be? Kev

HAHA, it can be your hapiness thinking like this but your gov. seems to have different theory. No criminal/terorist record and lot of money and thai's it. My brother in law (now back to TL) even got Brit. citizenship after studying there for many years. I got VISA extension easily in Croydon sometimes the immigration officers even came to the cumpus and they don't ask Uhm, you ar Thai? Will you work illegally? No? Really, are you small liar or big liar anyway? It's the same there, poor foreigner they don't like, rich one is OK :D

The UK VISA application is standardised for any foreigner. I don't think they specifically want to ask a Thai "Have you been member of the German NAZI party?" :)

What I didn't say, but what is true, is that I had a nice cat with a senior guy in the Home Office when I wanted to bring a Thai lady to UK to get married, after which we were to fly out again to live in Thailand. Which we did. She was a professional lady in her 50's, not a young scamp from a bar. Even so, the HO was very askance.

Now this may not fit your experience but it is official UK policy (or way in 2004 anyway), to consider all Thais an over-stay risk. For the very good reason that many of them did.

Also, when we flew to the US for a holiday, she went through a separate entry queue from me, based on passport country. When I asked why this was, I was told that... you guessed it: Thais are considered a serious over-stay risk because so many of them did.

So there you go.

Kev

Edited by KevinBloodyWilson

I can't speak for any country other than the US or Canada, but our country's officials are paranoid. Their left hand doesn't know what their right hand is doing. We ALL understand the reasons WHY they MIGHT keep young Thai and Philippines women tourists from entering Canada or the US, but if EVERY Thai visitor slipped off never to be seen again it wouldn't affect the system one bit. It's a whole bunch of hypocrisy written up by petty officials with no sense of balance. Our countries waste more money on stupid things then we could possibly imagine. I have a US friend married to a Thai woman who owns a viable laundry business with several staff. After several years of applying they are still trying to jump through all sorts of legal hoops just for a simple tourist trip. And, the woman is 40 and has never been a sex trade worker. I know at least 4 Canadian friends who tried bringing Thai girlfriends to Canada and it was a no go. I haven't even bothered because of the expense and red tape.