Weird Foods

jdwphuket

Hello all,

I'm trying to find out where in Phuket you can order dishes with 'weird' ingredients. By 'weird' I mean things you wouldn't get in the West and that a lot of Western people might be repulsed by. Such as insects, organs etc.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

Hello all,

I'm trying to find out where in Phuket you can order dishes with 'weird' ingredients. By 'weird' I mean things you wouldn't get in the West and that a lot of Western people might be repulsed by. Such as insects, organs etc.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

I think there is a section on 2nd floor in Big C where they have pianos,

so possibly organs as well :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really looking for restaurants though. For example 'Restaurant X in Kata serves caterpillar som tam' etc.
Go to one of the local markets, you can get plenty of wierd food at the local markets.

I remember seing a Restaurant like this in Rawai. It was a really small place near the end or even past the bend of rawai beach road.

They had menu with crocodile, frog, deer like creature (gang or whatever in Thai), and possibly bat iirc and some other stuff I don't remember. It's worth a look I guess.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm really looking for restaurants though. For example 'Restaurant X in Kata serves caterpillar som tam' etc.
Go to one of the local markets, you can get plenty of wierd food at the local markets.

I remember seing a Restaurant like this in Rawai. It was a really small place near the end or even past the bend of rawai beach road.

They had menu with crocodile, frog, deer like creature (gang or whatever in Thai), and possibly bat iirc and some other stuff I don't remember. It's worth a look I guess.

The place your talking about is just across from Baan Had Rawai the seafood restaurant at the southern end of Rawai beach. it's a tiny place next to the bridge.

There is a Isaan restaurant near Phuket town, Called "101" it's actually a chain of restaurants, Isaan's equivalent of McD's! ask around and you will find one they all serve the same stuff. The one we frequent is about 2 km out of Phuket, there's a LED billboard that goes over the road, then an intersection, on the right side 7-11 with a small soi, across the soi is the restaurant, here you will find Ant egg soup, and other Isaan favorites: jumping shrimp salad, the shrimp are still alive, jumping all over the place good fun. I particularly enjoy the Ant Egg Soup, full of larvae and ants, you will have to take a Thai with you to translate the Thai menu as the western translation cover the basic stuff.

Most of the better Isaan restaurants have what your looking for.

Bon appetite :)