Boot Partition On C For Windows7 Rc

PS3

Downloading Windows7 RC as we speek. Want dual boot with Vista, partition time:

Computer management - storage - disk management - click C - shrink volume = size of avaiable shrink space in C in mb = 0.

?

84GB free space on C but can not shrink volume.

What can I do ?

Is it because I am downloading at the moment, that its no avaiable volume?

Edited by PS3

It's probably because there are some "unmovable" system files towards the end of the partition and although there is a huge empty gap in-between other files and the unmovable ones of XXGb windows won't let you shrink the partition.

Suggest using some partition software to do the job for you. I recently did this on my Win7 RC laptop and it re-sized it no problem. Can't remember the name of the software though. :)

First of all, you should not be doing any other thing on a computer when you want to resize a partition or create a new partition. Second, you don't have to worry about swap files or any other thing. Windows handles most chores automatically and you don't have to worry about managing them manually. Just get your download done, backup of your important files and defrag drive C:\. Then shut down all applications, open windows disk management console and get on with the task of resizing (shrinking) your C:\ partition leaving that 85 gigabytes as unallocated spaced. Next create a new partition in the unallocated space and give it a drive letter. Close disk management and reboot. If you haven't already done so, burn the Win7RC iso to a DVD, boot from the DVD and choose to install in the new partition. If you have any questions send me a private message and we can hook up on the phone if necessary.

After 18 hours download, it never pass 99% download for 6 hours. Then rain/lighting made me shut down. Made a 2nd attempt the 19th, then rain and lighting again...

Guess I have to do without RC. Never managed to partition drive C, with 2 programs anyway.