Do i need a work permit?

Please assist with this asap.

A very good friend of mine runs a web forum board in Thailand about Thailand and he wants me to assist.

The site is non-profit making, in fact there is no income being generated what-so-ever. In order to assist him with his project do I need a work permit?

The reason that I ask is that I know a handful of Christian workers here in Thailand and even they as volunteers (non paid staff) teaching English and "spreading the word" have to have work permits. A good friend of mine has come here to raise money for a charity by doing something that is going to take 6 months; he has enough money of his own, is not old enough for a retirement visa and had to gain a Non-Imm B to get a work permit for his worthy cause.

The web site that my friend controls will eventually be a money turner (just like thaivisa) through banner ads and affiliates. Do I need a work permit in order to administrate the board?

In todays climate I would like to do everything above board. Any advice here, especially by people in similar situations would be most appreciated.

Not many helpful responses so far from people apparently in the know. Rather disapointing really.

BTW - what do the 3 boxes mean next to my name? Does this have something to do with my warnings?

Thanks - any advice from a "pro" would be appreciated.

Christian missionaries haven't exactly covered themselves in glory here either. (Before you start... I am a practising Christian) In order to raise money etc., some but by no means all, are not averse to really bad mouthing Thailand etc. Also it is not unheard of for some to have mia nois etc.

It was one of the few things I found shocking when I came here. Missionaries have to be careful about what they say about other religions as well. It can offend deeply.

Hello fanchom,

First, your organization has to be member of one of the five (?) Christian organizations that are approved by the Kingdom. It is, of course, nearly impossible to become member if you are not sending out by one of their supporters.

Second, any company, Christian or what so ever, is a company and has to have 7 shareholders, 2M share capital, 51% by Thais, etc. etc.

Maybe, if the company, meaning the website, is overseas, you do not need a work permit but then you can be a visa runner only. However, as company should be able to issue tax invoices but a non-registered company cannot issue any tax invoices or anything.

Money supply is important and difficult - I do not think you can make a business as Thai Visa. It depends on luck and timing.

Good luck...

Very best regards,

Robert Kronberg

Does not look like Dr PP is going to bite Fanchom. Nice try  :o

Look, if the circumstances you outline are correct (humm, im sceptical!) then i suspect, as the last poster said, that the web site be registered outside of thailand, you are probably going to be ok.

Does throw up some intersting questions though. It would be nice to know if those responsible for this board, do indeed have WP. Even if the site is registered elsewhere, the administrators ARE (presumably) based here, AND ARE engaging in work, paid or unpaid.

Maybe you can enlighten me more on this subject?

So I would guess that www.thaivisa.com is a registered company here in Thailand then? If so I would also wager that your capital must be in the region of 10 million baht to capacitate all of you guys there to be completely legal.

I know western web designers here for large corporations and also the top English Language newspapers - employed by firms and publishing houses. If you are doing this (TV) yourself how do you word the 'articles of association'?

This is a genuine question.

Many thanks.

It is irrelevant whether the website is registered in Thailand or overseas.  If you are working on it while YOU are physically in Thailand, you are performing work and therefore need a work permit.

Not true. So when I send an email to my boss while in Thailand, I am also working ? I asked the Thai embassy and they said working in Thailand is defined as "physically" working in a company and receiving a salary. Everything else is BS. How many visa agents are on this site to promote "Work permit" visas ?

Guest IT Manager
The reason that I ask is that I know a handful of Christian workers here in Thailand and even they as volunteers (non paid staff) teaching English and "spreading the word" have to have work permits. A good friend of mine has come here to raise money for a charity by doing something that is going to take 6 months; he has enough money of his own, is not old enough for a retirement visa and had to gain a Non-Imm B to get a work permit for his worthy cause.

Worthy is a matter of opinion. My son, 17, Xtian etc., gets no help from xtian mishonairies at all. I do it all. He approached the local chapter of "in god we trust" and they said we don't have money to help. (naturally in his language which is quite cute).

To get a work permit in Thailand as an xtian should be banned and against the law. All xtian mishonairies should be ball twisted and hog tied then hung in the air to dry until their god rescues them.

OMB did I just expose myself? Wonder how long this one will survive.... :o

It is irrelevant whether the website is registered in Thailand or overseas.  If you are working on it while YOU are physically in Thailand, you are performing work and therefore need a work permit.

Not true. So when I send an email to my boss while in Thailand, I am also working ? I asked the Thai embassy and they said working in Thailand is defined as "physically" working in a company and receiving a salary. Everything else is BS. How many visa agents are on this site to promote "Work permit" visas ?

F: "I'm not working, sir, I'm having a casual discussion with a soon to be friend, while wearing a suit. Who says I'm working ?"

O: "And the projector ?"

F: "What ? What's wrong with the projector on table ?"