Acronyms

iainiain101

It seems to be increasingly popular to use acronyms on this site. When I was taught at school in the United Kingdom (UK) we were always taught that if you were going to use an acronym, then you should always state it in full, followed by the acronym before further use. This is certainly the way it was taught in the UK.

I find it frustrating that I increasingly have to revert to search engines to try and work out what is being talking about. This has actually been very misleading recently.

We all come from many different lands so what you may think obvious may not be to others.

A good example recently, 'I want a car POS condition'. I tried Google and it came up with 'Point of Sale'. Made no sense to me, checked with three friends, one said POS was 'Point of Sale', other two had no idea. The person looking for the car has now explained it means 'piece of shit', and is an American acronym.

So in answer to the 'are you for real' comment earlier, yes. Different acronym on a closed thread.

Cheers

Iain

It seems to be increasingly popular to use acronyms on this site. When I was taught at school in the United Kingdom (UK) we were always taught that if you were going to use an acronym, then you should always state it in full, followed by the acronym before further use. This is certainly the way it was taught in the UK.

I find it frustrating that I increasingly have to revert to search engines to try and work out what is being talking about. This has actually been very misleading recently.

We all come from many different lands so what you may think obvious may not be to others.

A good example recently, 'I want a car POS condition'. I tried Google and it came up with 'Point of Sale'. Made no sense to me, checked with three friends, one said POS was 'Point of Sale', other two had no idea. The person looking for the car has now explained it means 'piece of shit', and is an American acronym.

So in answer to the 'are you for real' comment earlier, yes. Different acronym on a closed thread.

Cheers

Iain

Haha. Yes I have been there too. I will tell you this Iain, you will never forget POS. It is now burned into your grey matter.

Like you mentioned good writing style would define the acronym early in a paragraph.

Keep this bookmark handy. It has a nice search page.

Acronym Search

Enjoy