Nhs On Uk Fiance Visa

Emergency Treatment is "free" - that is to say the kind given in an A&E department.

If the situation progresses or is not deemed an A&E then you may be billed for the cost of any treatment along similar lines to a Private medical procedure. This is hospital specific and there is a wide disparity between different sites. However, even if the treatment is then given "free" your partner may only be given what is termed stabilisation treatment. This means that a number of consultants are happy that the treatment given is sufficient for that person to be removed from the hospital - this is far sooner than a UK resident would have to do.

This link may interest you - From The Guardian

As for any doctor or dental visits all I can say is good luck.

My advise would be to buy the insurance.

Emergency Treatment is "free" - that is to say the kind given in an A&E department.

If the situation progresses or is not deemed an A&E then you may be billed for the cost of any treatment along similar lines to a Private medical procedure. This is hospital specific and there is a wide disparity between different sites. However, even if the treatment is then given "free" your partner may only be given what is termed stabilisation treatment. This means that a number of consultants are happy that the treatment given is sufficient for that person to be removed from the hospital - this is far sooner than a UK resident would have to do.

This link may interest you - From The Guardian

As for any doctor or dental visits all I can say is good luck.

My advise would be to buy the insurance.

Thanks Moobie. I just read the article. This seems to be referring to people using the NHS on a visit (tourist) visa. However, the 6 month fiance visa is a settlement visa. For example, she only needs a one-way ticket. So i wonder whether these restrictions would also apply to her?

Thanks for the replies. Is that definite on a settlement visa and not just a visit visa?

One of my other concerns was whether she would also be entitled to swine flu vaccine/treatment.

Re Swine Flu, from the UK Department of Health website:

Pandemic flu

An amendment has been made to the NHS (Charges to Overseas Visitors) Regulations 1989, so that pandemic influenza is now included in the list of exempt from charge diseases

A fiance visa is a settlement visa, even though it is only valid for 6 months. This means that a fiance visa holder is classed as a UK resident and so is entitled to the full range of NHS services.

7x7 - you may want to add the word "usually" onto the end of your Post.

I cannot remember the sentence verbatim but I can give the outline from an official UK site - Treatment on Fiance/Spouse visas is "usually" free.

As you no doubt know the basis of the Fiance visa is to enable the OP and his beloved to marry within the 6 month duration and then afterwards apply for a Spousal visa. If a NHS treatment is required then it is for the OP to prove that they are to be Permanent residents within the UK and may be asked to show proof of such. If hypothetically the OP or his beloved somehow indicate that they would return to Thailand to live in the near future then a bill may ensue. This is where the NHS and Border Agency websites suggest that they state the gudelines and it is up to the relevant hospital/practices to enforce as they see fit.

(One example of this may be a GP/Dentist who refuses to admit anybody new onto the books with less than a certain time period left on their visa).

The above, I would suggest, is a worse case scenario but since I do not know the OP's plans they should be mentioned for consideration.

Incidentally and slightly off-topic, there are whisperings in political circles that a requirement for entry into the UK in the not-too-distant future is mandatory health insurance for the duration of visit. As the NHS is looking like a major battlefield in the coming election expect some similar ideas to be mooted.

7x7 - you may want to add the word "usually" onto the end of your Post.

I cannot remember the sentence verbatim but I can give the outline from an official UK site - Treatment on Fiance/Spouse visas is "usually" free.

As you no doubt know the basis of the Fiance visa is to enable the OP and his beloved to marry within the 6 month duration and then afterwards apply for a Spousal visa. If a NHS treatment is required then it is for the OP to prove that they are to be Permanent residents within the UK and may be asked to show proof of such. If hypothetically the OP or his beloved somehow indicate that they would return to Thailand to live in the near future then a bill may ensue. This is where the NHS and Border Agency websites suggest that they state the gudelines and it is up to the relevant hospital/practices to enforce as they see fit.

(One example of this may be a GP/Dentist who refuses to admit anybody new onto the books with less than a certain time period left on their visa).

The above, I would suggest, is a worse case scenario but since I do not know the OP's plans they should be mentioned for consideration.

Incidentally and slightly off-topic, there are whisperings in political circles that a requirement for entry into the UK in the not-too-distant future is mandatory health insurance for the duration of visit. As the NHS is looking like a major battlefield in the coming election expect some similar ideas to be mooted.

Thanks to everyone for their help. The NHS site was particularly of interest especially as it appears that all the time I was living in Thailand if I had needed NHS treatment on my visits I may have had to pay.

To clarify the position I'm in - i moved back to the UK 2 and a half years ago and am definitely settled so if i understand it correctly, she would qualify for treatment?

To the best of my understanding if you and your betrothed (and soon to be wife) are going to settle as residents in the UK then you are covered by the NHS.

(As for the other aspect you mention. The fact that a person could have paid millions in contributions into the exchequer counts for nought if they later try to claim treatment on the NHS but are not regarded as a UK resident by virtue of their time and assets out of the country. A fact that could be made worse if GP's and the NHS ever became organised and realised that many on their books where no longer resident within the UK).

since I do not know the OP's plans they should be mentioned for consideration.

I take your point, but as they have obtained a fiance visa then one assumes the plan is to settle in the UK.

As the Dept of Health page you linked to earlier says

Under the current Regulations, anyone who is taking up or resuming permanent residence in the UK is entitled to free National Health Service (NHS) hospital treatment in England. If your intention is to live permanently in the UK you will be exempt from hospital charges from the date of your arrival in the country but you should expect to be asked to prove your intention and that you are legally entitled to live here..........

Any person living here lawfully and on a settled basis is regarded as resident in the UK and therefore entitled to free primary medical services.......

Entry with a fiance visa is regarded as entry for a settled purpose, though obviously proving the intention to live permanently in the UK will be easier to do once the marriage has taken place and one has FLR.

As the two year rule for ILR starts from the wifes/partners entry into the Uk, It would be wise to start collecting the required paperwork trail, Registering for a GP would be a good way to start. When my wife registered no proof as to her legal status in the UK was asked for. that's our experience might not be the same everywhere.

As the two year rule for ILR starts from the wifes/partners entry into the Uk, It would be wise to start collecting the required paperwork trail, Registering for a GP would be a good way to start. When my wife registered no proof as to her legal status in the UK was asked for. that's our experience might not be the same everywhere.

Same with my wife when she arrived, in fact my GP insisted I bring her in and register her which I took as a good sign.

Brigante7.