Need Your Input Please

firefly

I would like to live in Thailand and although I wouln't mind teaching english, I would like to know if there are any other positions that i would qualify for with my background:

I have a u.s. law degree and have been practicing criminal defense for 10 years, bachelor's degree in psychology, have experience teaching/training less experience attorneys, speak fluent french and some italian

I would rather not practice law!!

Also, do you think that I should obtain a TESOL certification?

Thank you in advance

If you are interested in teaching, but not teaching English, there are schools that employ subject teachers, such as Math, Science, Social Studies etc. With your degree this wouldn't be too difficult, although you will likely end up in a lower paying position. It never hurts to get an additional certification that will help you in the classroom, however, this isn't a requirement (usually).

If you are looking at other opportunities beside in the education field, there are some and perhaps other posters could direct you to where you might find them.

You won't have any trouble finding a position with your education and background. You would probably be looking at a starting salary of between 35,000 and 60,000 per month in Bangkok and between 25,000 and 35,000 anywhere else in Thailand.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

Please don't underestimate the challenge of teaching. It's tough and it sounds as if you won't know the "tricks of the trade". And there are many. I was a science teacher my first 13 years in education and one year I had to teach a class in American history. I'm a bit of a history buff, so I thought it would be a cinch. Not really. I didn't do the kids justice in thatclass.

In the States our school was involved in a project to hire second-career people from other professions into teaching. About a 50% total failure rate, even with a great deal of assistance from the university. On the other hand, the roughly half that made it were excellent.

By no means am i underestimating the difficulties of teaching- especially without prior experience. However, I doubt it would be more challenging than what i have to deal with on a daily basis: defending child rapists, robbers, drug traffickers...... Besides, my karma would probably benefit from a career change!!!

I do plan on getting a teaching certificate since there's no such thing as too much education.

What about teaching in the corporate arena? could that be an option?

I've read so many posts and it seems that the attitudes regarding this subject are all over the spectrum. I dont know what to make of it.

If you are interested in teaching, but not teaching English, there are schools that employ subject teachers, such as Math, Science, Social Studies etc. With your degree this wouldn't be too difficult, although you will likely end up in a lower paying position. It never hurts to get an additional certification that will help you in the classroom, however, this isn't a requirement (usually).

If you are looking at other opportunities beside in the education field, there are some and perhaps other posters could direct you to where you might find them.

This I don't understand. This woman has a law degree, a degree in phyc, and has taught. And she may have to take a lower paying position? <deleted>! THat's crazy. I understand not everyone can teach, but it sounds like she'd be a wiz in the corporate sector. You can't be saying that the Thai system doesn't recognize accomplishment and experience. Pa leze.

Let's stay on topic here. Attorneys defend people who are charged with child rape. It's their job. Teachers also probably teach children that one day will be those child rapists. Let's not blame the teacher or the attorney.

Let's stay on topic here. Attorneys defend people who are charged with child rape. It's their job. Teachers also probably teach children that one day will be those child rapists. Let's not blame the teacher or the attorney.

It's not really the same Scott, but I agree it's off topic and shouldn't be discussed further.

To the OP

Any major change in career requires new skills training. a 4-week TEFL/TESOL course would be a good start. You'll find work without taking a course but just think ahead: day 1 in front of 40 kids - what do you do?

The additional training will be extremely helpful, especially if you have no classroom experience.

Oh, and the scary part about being in front of 40 students isn't what you will do.....it's what they might do!

The big career change combined with the expatriation move are major life changes and not to be taken lightly. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst. I did it: five years ago I gave up a career in management information systems in Europe and moved to BKK, where I have been teaching EFL. So far, so good, but it required planning and continual adjustment.

Some advice:

- Yes, take the 4-week TEFL/TESOL/CELTA course - it's all about teaching (not so much about English language) and was very helpful for me, as I lacked any formal education training

- Read up on Thailand as much as you can - check out the Bangkok Post and Nation newspapers on the internet

- Get ready for culture shock - you will be a victim continually (and I still am, five years down the road); Bangkok is not like living in London or Berlin or Paris or San Francisco - this is Asia, Southeast Asia, Thailand.

- Be clear to yourself about what you are trying to do with your life; have clear goals and don't get distracted (there are so many distractions here!)

Good luck and welcome to the club!