Thai Isps Bandwidth Shaping

mymonkeyhusb

I've been informed that TT&T, TOT and CAT are using some kind of bandwidth shaping methods. This means that when traffic on their internet lines reaches a certain limit, they cutoff or clip the amount of internet traffic in their system. Symptoms are a blinking WAN light on your router (no internet connection, cannot find server, etc.) and seemingly random "cutoff" of your internet service. My TT&T service is the worst I've seen it. What I need are the names of other internet service providers in Thailand. Can anyone provide them for me? Are there any sattelite ISPs available in this country?

You can test if your ISP is shaping or not

Go to this web site Shaper Probe

Its a university web site.

You can download a small test program.

Microsoft Windows (binary): http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/ShaperProbe.exe

MAC OS X (binary): http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/ShaperProbe.dmg

Linux (source): http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~partha/diffprobe/shaperprobe.tgz

My TOT for the past week has been AWFUl

I know I'm only paying 700 baht a month but everyone keeps

telling me that upgrading with TOT won't result in any appreciable quality

its amazing how this works...I can't think of any other product/service this pertains to

I've noticed my 2 meg TOT package has been pretty grim this week downloading torrents. I run Vuse and usually get 180 on a well seeded download and even 150 at peak times (pretty good for where I am) but this week it's struggled to get past 45 and maxed out at a "mind bending" 65.

A SUGGESTION TO FIND WHERE THE PROBLEM MAY BE.......

When you experience slow speeds, try to run a speedtest to a country other than where you are trying to access.

As an example, I can get speeds as low as .22mb/sec during the day when testing with speedtest.net to servers in Washington state. I then test to Vancouver, BC, Canada, and get my normal speeds. The physical distance between Seattle and Vancouver is a couple hundred miles North and South....

MSPain

This is what I am getting from Bangkok...

544287953.png

Check your line quality in your router!

This looks more like an ADSL connectivity problem, as hardly any customers have reorted local speeds going down!

My experience is that the local speeds have gone down in the past 2 or 3 days.

MSPain

As of yet no problems locally...

544885833.png

Unfortunately international is a bit different :)

544886617.png

I'm getting at least 300 kbts down and up to 50 kbts up in a village near Sakon Nakhon with TT&T Maxnet. I'm not on premium package either.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I've got the TOT cyberplatinum package (3Mb DL/515Kb UL) out of Chiang Mai.

There is most definitely traffic shaping of torrent downloads and this has been going on for months. To the point where I started using the usenet service giganews for binary downloads instead.

All went well for a month or so with download speeds of about 300KB/sec....but now I'm capped at about 30KB/sec during the day. I catch downloads of about 300KB/sec during the early hours, but at 7:00AM the download speed got limited to 30KB/sec again.

However, if I do a normal speed test I get an expected result for my package:

Last Result:

Download Speed: 2648 kbps (331 KB/sec transfer rate)

Upload Speed: 402 kbps (50.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

TEST TIME:: Saturday September 12, 2009, 08:39 PM

So, there is no shaping/limiting/capping of a "normal" download like in the test above which probably uses the HTTP port 8080.

But if I download from giganews on NNTP port 119 (using Alt.Binz newsreader) I'm stuck to between 30 and 50KB/sec.

I tried the SSL package (encrypted NNTP port 563) but TOT shaping got round this in less than 5 hours and now limits again.

This looks like a no win situation with TOT. :)

Anyone else confirm this?

If I was TOT and "shaping bandwith" the first thing I would do is make connections used by speedtest.net fast. That's why I am always skeptical of speedtest.net and the others. That said, at least internationally, they don't do that yet.

TOT has been awful over the last few weeks for me as well. International bandwidth seems to disappear during the course of the day - mornings were surprisingly fast for the most part, then in the afternoon it slows to a crawl.

Interestingly when it was very slow in the evenings I also sometimes - but not always - got very slow speedtest.net results to BKK. I checked my line and the S/N ratio is not to blame. It does go down a bit in the evening, but it's still good.

Right now it's respectable: SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 18,5 / 32,0. It will drop, but still be about 27 down which should be good enough for 3Mbit.

BTW I totally agree that if you are as incompetent as your average Thai ISP, any bandwidth shaping would be redundant.

Edited by nikster

I've been informed that TT&T, TOT and CAT are using some kind of bandwidth shaping methods. This means that when traffic on their internet lines reaches a certain limit, they cutoff or clip the amount of internet traffic in their system. Symptoms are a blinking WAN light on your router (no internet connection, cannot find server, etc.) and seemingly random "cutoff" of your internet service. My TT&T service is the worst I've seen it. What I need are the names of other internet service providers in Thailand. Can anyone provide them for me? Are there any sattelite ISPs available in this country?

You are not alone - see this thread from the Chiang Mai forum: But I have tested and no shaping, just screwing up as usual.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Tot-Internet...ed-t297080.html