Sukhumvit Traffic

ashacat

Has anyone noticed that Sukhumvit has been really really congestested from Promg Pong up to On Nut for the past few days? I know its not normally plane sailing, but this week has been ridiculous!

Is there something going on I don't know about? Roadworks? Protests etc?...

Has anyone noticed that Sukhumvit has been really really congestested from Promg Pong up to On Nut for the past few days? I know its not normally plane sailing, but this week has been ridiculous!

Is there something going on I don't know about? Roadworks? Protests etc?...

I blame the lights at Thonglor and Ekamai - but nothing new to report - always been bad. 45 second green light up sukhumvit while those living in hi-so-ville get 90 or 120 coming off Thong Lor and Ekkamai.

I've noticed a lot of (and i mean a lot of) groups of cops around pulling many trucks over and even some cars and motorbikes MUCH MORE THAN USUAL.

I just drove through bangkok yesterday and got stopped myself in my pickup truck 4 times!

On my past 6 trips, i got stopped twice TOTAL.

So, my wife says it's just cause the police need money now because of the economy and that is the only reason.

I'm not buying it.

Also, we were told we would have to pay 1500 baht (either to the cop who would go ahead and pay the fine for us, or come back in 4 days and again in 15 days to pay it ourselves) because our hatch to my Carryboy was open.

We ended up waiting about 45 minutes and he came down to 1,000 baht.

We paid, mainly because it was in the hot sun and my 75 year old mother in law was getting uncomfortable in that heat.

I wanted to wait him out another hour or so but my wife didn't think he would come down anymore.

All the rest of the stops were ok as i hadn't done anything wrong.

we told one cop about the 1500 asking price and he just laughed and said it should have been around 500 baht.

Anyway, something's going on as there are just many more of these roadblocks than i've ever seen before and i'm sure it is slowing traffic down.

• 1 month later...
I've noticed a lot of (and i mean a lot of) groups of cops around pulling many trucks over and even some cars and motorbikes MUCH MORE THAN USUAL.

I just drove through bangkok yesterday and got stopped myself in my pickup truck 4 times!

On my past 6 trips, i got stopped twice TOTAL.

So, my wife says it's just cause the police need money now because of the economy and that is the only reason.

I'm not buying it.

Also, we were told we would have to pay 1500 baht (either to the cop who would go ahead and pay the fine for us, or come back in 4 days and again in 15 days to pay it ourselves) because our hatch to my Carryboy was open.

We ended up waiting about 45 minutes and he came down to 1,000 baht.

We paid, mainly because it was in the hot sun and my 75 year old mother in law was getting uncomfortable in that heat.

I wanted to wait him out another hour or so but my wife didn't think he would come down anymore.

All the rest of the stops were ok as i hadn't done anything wrong.

we told one cop about the 1500 asking price and he just laughed and said it should have been around 500 baht.

Anyway, something's going on as there are just many more of these roadblocks than i've ever seen before and i'm sure it is slowing traffic down.

I was stopped accused of using my mobile whilst driving, no mobile in truck so searched and let go had there been 1000 baht fine realy getting fed up of this

BIB are all over the area between on nut and asok. I have not been stopped yet though and I drive through them 4 times a day at least. It always seems that pick ups are being pulled in. I don't think that is the reason for grid lock on that road though. It took me over 2 hours to drive from on nut to asok last night at 5pm and that was down to the traffic lights.