Thai Scooters Modified For Off Road

mixed

There's a couple of shops close to me that are modifying old 2 strokes for off road. While I'm sure they are not as good as a proper dirt bike, they seem OK and being 2 stroke have plenty of power. The price (10k - 25k) and ease of getting parts is making me consider getting one.

I'm interested in ppl's opinions, what's good/bad? Is there anything seriously wrong or dangerous with them? Are in particular models good? I was thinking about a watercooled Nova 125, these are fast little bikes.

Well ive never owned or ridden one, however ive competed in enduros in thailand where the thais enter laods of these and some of them are bloody fast .and good, i would hate to see what they aere like on a competitive bike ! :)

Do you have any more info on what types of bikes the Thais are entering? The old 2 strokes are fast and light and probably have a gearbox that is OK for enduro. With a bit of work on the motor I imagine they would keep up with much larger bikes. They used to drag these bikes and I think some were capable of 14 sec qt mile.

There's a site here with parts for modification http://fuseracing.com/Default.aspx?pageid=1

Well ive never owned or ridden one, however ive competed in enduros in thailand where the thais enter laods of these and some of them are bloody fast .and good, i would hate to see what they aere like on a competitive bike ! :)

The fellows are damned fast sometimes and U must be a hellracer to be faster. Almost in cycle-X, what we named soft-cross or stoppel-cross they are amazing. In Enduros is a real dirt bike mostly better. In cycle-X on a small circus with many kurves the handling of a scooter is great and the bikes are very light. In Tl is nearly every weekend in the dryseasion a local race. There is the best place to buy a scooter from somebody and you can test on the track. 10 to 15th, not more I would pay. I still prefer 4-stroke, but up2U. The suzuki with the big air-cooled cylinder and the strong body (Name? I don´t no) is what I saw almost as the winner. But also every Honda Dream or what ever could be used. I´ve a TIGER CX with the reinforced frame and some off-road features. It works good, but the engine needs more power.

post-60494-1250685065_thumb.jpg

smeere, agreed some of them go like a bat out of hel_l. the nova dash 2 stroke with all appropriate mods seems to be the one that i see do the best with the majority being dreams, waves and smashes.

up here in the north we had a guy entering the supercup open class on a sonic that was stroked and bored to 198cc, with cr125 forks and rear shock, + added radiator and crf shrouds it was one hel_l of a beast. in fact it was so fast they banned it from entering supercup and forced this guy to enter lightweight class!!

anywhere between 10k to 20k sounds alright. bearing in mind they havent had the easiest of lives so bargain hard!!

you said you've been competing in some enduro's. where do you base yourself out of?? im in chiang mai and well into enduro. i only really get to ride sundays with the thais as theres not too many other farang here into it. would be great to hook up with other enduro riders..

good luck!

Edited by sundaypsychos

anywhere between 10k to 20k sounds alright. bearing in mind they havent had the easiest of lives so bargain hard!!

you said you've been competing in some enduro's.

Yes, they've generally done it fairly hard. What work would you suggest to extend their lives a bit?

I don't do enduro myself, but would be interested to hear from those that do.

My friend used to have a Nova 125 "weebot" (offroad bike in Thai). It did go like stink but its just hard on your body to ride. I used it a bit and the lack of real suspension does make your back hurt and tires your legs quickly if you are hammering it through the trails. I'd buy an original bike and have the work done if I were to do it. My other friend was quoted around 2500b to have installed longer front forks and rear suspension, and well as modified exhaust on his old Yamaha Mate. I imagine they would have through in the offroad front fender too and scraped most of the original plastic. Personally I would leave more of the original plastic on than the Thai's usually do. The best one I have ever seen was made from the 2 stroke Nova that has the big square exposed frame, sorry can't remember what they call that one.

If you are considering spending over 20K, than why not just get a real 2 stroke trail bike? An old MTX can't be much more than that, plated too! You can get old plated 200cc 2 strokes for around 30K in descent shape too. Thats how much I sold my DT200 for.

I started converting this Sonic, but got bored so I'm selling it. I replaced the bars, wheels, front forks and extended the rear forks but the suspension is still a bit stiff. Not a real off roader but the clearance is handy on a trail and it looks quite clean no hassles from police. Needs knobbly tyres because I've lately I've been riding it around town as a commuter. I think you'd need to lose some serious weight to make it a really fast off roader, but I like clean lines. I think I might replace it with a KSR in the long run, easier to get on the back of a pickup! Anyway, this bike was fun while it lasted.imgbKHsD9.jpg

If you are considering spending over 20K, than why not just get a real 2 stroke trail bike? An old MTX can't be much more than that, plated too! You can get old plated 200cc 2 strokes for around 30K in descent shape too. Thats how much I sold my DT200 for.

Next time you see one message me..

Next time you see one message me..

Are you in the North? Around CM they are not so hard to find. The Mae Jo Sunday market had a MTX a few weeks back. And San Pa Tong Saturday market gets them too. If you are up here I might be able to contact the guy that bought my dads old Kawasaki KMX200. Last I heard, he wasn't using it and was selling it. Its has always been a good bike too.

No am on Phuket where anything (that runs) with a plate gets 50k ish...

Would be interested in a bush basher for trail riding but as I have way too many old bikes I really need to keep it cheap.

I just saw a Honda MTX125 (2 stroke, made in Thailand so plated) on ThaiVisa Classified today for 30K. I think it was in CM though. If you check it out, the title is "Yamaha MTX" for some reason??? Might be worth the trip if you save that kind of money! You might try asking around at little Thai shops about getting you an MTX. The Thais don't generally tend to like them as they are just "old bikes" now to them and they don't like 2 strokes much either.

Edited by blakegeee