Restarant Called Bo.lan, Anyone Know It ?

roamer

Read an article in todays Bangkok Post, Mylife section about a restaurant called Bo.lan, the owners met while working at David Thompsons London Nahm restaurant, for those of you not familiar with that place its the only Thai Michelin starred restarant in Europe and David Thompson is considered to be one of the finest Thai chef's in the world and the author of Aharn Thai, certainly one of the most informative and weighty tomes ever written about Thai food.

Problem was the Post article omitted any contact details or even rough location for the restaurant :) and all my efforts at finding a number for it have failed. Going back to UK on Sunday and would have like to have tried this place....anyone come across it ?

Read an article in todays Bangkok Post, Mylife section about a restaurant called Bo.Ian, the owners met while working at David Thompsons London Nahm restaurant, for those of you not familiar with that place its the only Thai Michelin starred restarant in Europe and David Thompson is considered to be one of the finest Thai chef's in the world and the author of Aharn Thai, certainly one of the most informative and weighty tomes ever written about Thai food.

Problem was the Post article omitted any contact details or even rough location for the restaurant :) and all my efforts at finding a number for it have failed. Going back to UK on Sunday and would have like to have tried this place....anyone come across it ?

Google is pretty easy to use mate, http://www.bolan.co.th/ :D

Read an article in todays Bangkok Post, Mylife section about a restaurant called Bo.Ian, the owners met while working at David Thompsons London Nahm restaurant, for those of you not familiar with that place its the only Thai Michelin starred restarant in Europe and David Thompson is considered to be one of the finest Thai chef's in the world and the author of Aharn Thai, certainly one of the most informative and weighty tomes ever written about Thai food.

:D Bkkjames, thanks so much, feel a complete idiot now. I did google it but I did so as Bo.Ian... instead of Bolan, thanks for useing your grey matter rather more effectively than mine !

:D Bkkjames, thanks so much, feel a complete idiot now. I did google it but I did so as Bo.Ian... instead of Bolan, thanks for useing your grey matter rather more effectively than mine !

no worries mate, just tell us if it was any good afterwards :D

I think if you've got the money to take a risk on expensive meals AND the palate for something very different, then try it. For me..looking at the menu it didn't look appealing (press said it's very traditional/old fashioned Thai dishes which are likely to attract mostly the older wealthy Thai diners). Prices are extremely high. Probably good for experimentalists, but simple Thai restaurants everywhere in this city produce great authentic dishes already without the prestige of a star on the CV.

We went there a month ago. Outrageous prices, If I remember correctly an eggplant salad for 600B I asked why, they said special shrimps. I had it, nothing special. Wine prices OK though.

In the same league but better value is Patara in Thonglor, they have branches in London and Geneva. Not cheap, but I did not feel ripped off and have been back several times. Bo-lan will not see any of us again.

Thanks for the headache folks !! First totally agree many simpler and cheaper places seving good Thai, just thought we might try somewhere different before heading back to London with outrageous prices for mediocre food. My wife is a superb Thai chef, lets clarify that, she is Thai and a very good chef and a fan of many cuisines whose favourite present is an additon to her incredibly costly set of Japanese knives, so eating at this place may prove to be a double edged sword..."So why are we paying X amount for something I do at home but less poncified etc". Likewise places like Vertigo would produce a response often seen here...nice view, shame about the food, actually I should be pleased I'm married to someone that would prefer to eat in a tin shack that produced food to die for rather than dine in a place to be seen :D Might end up at Thong lor as we are big Sashimi fans, but there is a Japanese thread that also has some very divided opinions. Given the circumstances above any further suggestions welcome :)

Edited by roamer

Thanks for the headache folks !! First totally agree many simpler and cheaper places seving good Thai, just thought we might try somewhere different before heading back to London with outrageous prices for mediocre food. My wife is a superb Thai chef so eating at this place may prove to be a double edged sword..."So why are we paying X amount for something I do at home but less poncified etc". Likewise places like Vertigo would produce a response often seen here...nice view, shame about the food, actually I should be pleased I'm married to someone that would prefer to eat in a tin shack that produced food to die for rather than dine in a place to be seen :D Might end up at Thong lor as we are big Sashimi fans, but there is a Japanese thread that also has some very divided opinions. Given the circumstances above any further suggestions welcome :)

Had a very good Thai lunch at Erawan Tea Room the other day.

Just be careful with what you read in Bangkokpost food review.

I use to like it, read it, but the last 3 month I try few places, the photo showing are not what you got.

Some photo has two dishes into one, like the one from Bravo with salad of lobster with a wild mushroom salad.

I went there and just got the salad of lobster.

My meals in the 3 places were around 3000 baht, more if wine.

I do not care about the price if it is good, but all three were not!

I decide from this experience, not renew my Bangkok post, I do not like the change they made, I am not interested with the car section / magazine / food review/ general news/ and they change the sodoku as well hahaha

Only the sad part is my dog will need to use the local newspaper for his toilet 

The only part I will miss is the data section on Wednesday….

Bye bye Bangkok post !

This reply perhaps too late, but I had dinner there with visitors from Europe (friend with his Thai wife) and must say it is indeed expensive and extremely unusual food. Served nouvelle cuisine style, which basically means large plates and little food. I am sure they put a lot of effort in it, but none of us liked it. The Thai lady told me they used a lot of the old kitchen ingredients, whatever that may be.

• 3 weeks later...

Wow that's pretty a harsh thing to say about a place you have never eaten at especially when your comparing it to another place that you also have not eaten at how about you try it and then you can actualy have an informed opinion. And I think one of the chefs may have worked at nahm, ive eaten there before and I think they are doing a great job no its not for everyone expecting to get the all you can eat somtum and moo ping for 7 baht but some of us do enjoy going out and having a nice dinner with interesting thai food and don't mind paying for it ,

Here's a review of Nahm in London by Pim Techamuanvivit, an obviously knowledgable Thai foodie living in the States. If Bo.lan is imitating it, I would avoid it like the plague.

Wow that's pretty a harsh thing to say about a place you have never eaten at especially when your comparing it to another place that you also have not eaten at how about you try it and then you can actualy have an informed opinion. And I think one of the chefs may have worked at nahm, ive eaten there before and I think they are doing a great job no its not for everyone expecting to get the all you can eat somtum and moo ping for 7 baht but some of us do enjoy going out and having a nice dinner with interesting thai food and don't mind paying for it ,
Here's a review of Nahm in London by Pim Techamuanvivit, an obviously knowledgable Thai foodie living in the States. If Bo.lan is imitating it, I would avoid it like the plague.

Moo ping and minimalist antique top end Thai food is not comparing like with like. Compare the food served at Bo.ian with other high end Thai restaurants. Eat at both and see which one a) represents value for money, :) tastes better, c) fills you up more and d) is less pretentious based on presentation, ingredients and quantity. I bet you'll choose "the other" every time and rightly so, be it Blue Elephant, Baan Khanitha or Mango Tree.