What Are The Requirements For A 1 Year Extension Of Stay Based On Marriage?

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. Has to be there for 2 months before application . OR a monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

If using the savings method you need a letter from your bank verifying the balance plus an up to date bank book showing the same balance.

If you using the income method you need a letter from your Embassy if the income id from abroad. Or Tax payment receipts and work permit if inside Thailand.

Marriage Certificate. (Some offices also want the record from the registra where you were married)

Wife's ID Card and House Registration.

Application Form. Passport Size Photo. 1,900 Baht Fee. Your Passport.

Photo's of you and you Wife in and around the house.

A map showing the way to your house.

Take your Wife to be interviewed.

You will be given a 30 day Under Consideration Stamp. Go back in a month and get the remaining days.

It is easier to start with a Non Imm Visa , but can be done with a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt Stamp if you have at least 21 days remaining on your stay.

This from the official Police Order.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

I think you may find the money must be in your account (not a joint account) for three months for your first application - Samui require this anyway.

Nope, been discussing this with Samui immigrations.

Two months for first extension, three months after that.

I asked because I had the income option last year and this year the bank option.

I think you may find the money must be in your account (not a joint account) for three months for your first application - Samui require this anyway.

Nope, been discussing this with Samui immigrations.

Two months for first extension, three months after that.

I asked because I had the income option last year and this year the bank option.

Typical - I was told the opposite last month when I applied for mine (1st) :)

My uncle ( has lived here for 30+ years ) went to Aran today for his extension based on marriage to a Thai national and was informed that he had to have 800,00฿ in the bank ( he had the 400,00฿ seasoned and ready to go) and was refused his extension.

He was told that the rules had changed a few months ago.

T/F ?

I'm here on a O-A and know that this is the correct amount for that kind, but no where can I find that the rules hae changed based on his circumstances.

Could this just be another "lets make our own rules" type case?

Example;

I had to go on Tuesday for my 90 day report to this same office and the first two questions were;

Q#1: What are you here for? A: 90 day report

Q#2: Please write down how much you make a month. A: Why, I'm here for my 90 day report. :)

I had just recieved my O-A extension in CM in May this year....which she observed in my passport as she had made mention of "you have moved here from Chiang Mai?" "Yes, I have" and attempted to give her my new change of address form, which she refused and also the housemaster form reporting that I now lived here, which she also refused saying " you do not need those".

Is it me, or is something amiss here....

No rules changes. It is still 400K for an extension based upon marriage.

Sounds like confusion between retirement extension and marriage or an immigration officer that did know what they were doing.

Your uncle should go back amd insist upon talking to the boss and the mess sorted out.

For your experience it sounds like a nosey immigration officer and also one that did not want to deal with the other paperwork you gave them.

I have not found the exact requirements and I know they have changed. I am in the Banglamung area, could someone point me to a site with the correct information or even better list it and pin it? Thank you.

Thai Marriage Visa Requirements

TM7 application form x 2 & 2 photos of each

B1,900 fee

Passport & attached Arrival Card (TM6)

Signed copy of passport & Arrival Card x 2

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert x 2

Tabien baan

Signed copy of Tabien baan x 2

Wife's ID card

Signed copy of ID card x 2

Signed copy of wife's passport x 2

Bank letter stating you have more than B400K for 2 months (60 days) x 2

Copy of letter x 2

Original bank book

Signed copy of bank book x 2

Signed map of address x 2

Photos of you and spouse around the house x 5

I have not found the exact requirements and I know they have changed. I am in the Banglamung area, could someone point me to a site with the correct information or even better list it and pin it? Thank you.

Thai Marriage Visa Requirements

TM7 application form x 2 & 2 photos of each

B1,900 fee

Passport & attached Arrival Card (TM6)

Signed copy of passport & Arrival Card x 2

Marriage certificate

Signed copy of marriage cert x 2

Tabien baan

Signed copy of Tabien baan x 2

Wife's ID card

Signed copy of ID card x 2

Signed copy of wife's passport x 2

Bank letter stating you have more than B400K for 2 months (60 days) x 2

Copy of letter x 2

Original bank book

Signed copy of bank book x 2

Signed map of address x 2

Photos of you and spouse around the house x 5

This has already been covered, so why post? Plus your list does not cover the 40k a month income option/paperwork, which is an alternative to the 400k bank balance, plus you may need a copy of the register from the registrar where you were married. See LB's post above.

There is no precise list as every Immigration Office will have there own different ideas about what is required.

Also there is no such thing as a Marriage Visa. :)

Here is some more information on Extensions of Stay. For Marriage to a Thai Woman it is 2.18

No rules changes. It is still 400K for an extension based upon marriage.

Sounds like confusion between retirement extension and marriage or an immigration officer that did know what they were doing.

Your uncle should go back amd insist upon talking to the boss and the mess sorted out.

For your experience it sounds like a nosey immigration officer and also one that did not want to deal with the other paperwork you gave them.

Spoke with my loong again this morning, he said that the boss at Aran handed him the Retirement visa requirements and said he has two (2) days to get the money in his account. She stated that the paperwork no longer has to go through Bangkok, and that she has the authority to complete everything in Aran.

She stated that the rule changes were 2 months ago ( which I cannot find on any Thai Immigration website)

and that because he ( uncle ) was now 61 years of age "I'm going to do you like that"...

She gave him a 60 day extension and then told him.." I'm going to inform all you expats of the rule change when they come in".

Has she gone power crazy?

It's like she is combining the retirement requirements with the married to a Thai national requirements.

:)

She is way out of line with this. She is trying to force him to do a reitrement extension instead of an extension for marriage. There has been no changes she is just being bull headed.

He should force her bluff by requesting the reason for the denial in writing as per the following clause of the police order.

4. If the applicant does not fully meet the qualifications as prescribed by this order, the competent official shall inform the applicant for his/her denial and he/she departs within 7 days after the permission date ended.

In case the applicant wishes to review the denial by the orders mentioned in clause 1, the applicant shall re-submit an application for another review, citing the reasons for the re-submission in a letter to a competent official holding a rank of a police inspector and higher. This is for the purpose of obtaining a decision in writing on the application. In this case, the applicant may attach all supporting documents to the application for re-submission at the same time. The review shall be carried out within the time limit prescribed by paragraph 1. During the proceeding of the consideration, the competent official shall set the date of result hearing within 7 days after the review application is submitted.

Edit: Copy of police order. Police_Order_2551_777.pdf Police_Order_2551_777_in_Thai.pdf

Edited by ubonjoe

Have been told bank balance must Baht800,000 by local immigration official!

400,000 Baht in a Thai bank. Has to be there for 2 months before application . OR a monthly income of 40,000 Baht.

If using the savings method you need a letter from your bank verifying the balance plus an up to date bank book showing the same balance.

If you using the income method you need a letter from your Embassy if the income id from abroad. Or Tax payment receipts and work permit if inside Thailand.

Marriage Certificate. (Some offices also want the record from the registra where you were married)

You will be given a 30 day Under Consideration Stamp. Go back in a month and get the remaining days.

It is easier to start with a Non Imm Visa , but can be done with a Tourist Visa or Visa Exempt Stamp if you have at least 21 days remaining on your stay.

(6) In case of marriage with a Thai lady, the husband who is an alien must have an average annual income of not less than 40,000 baht per month or a money deposit in a local Thai bank of not less than 400,000 baht for the past 2 months for expenses within a year.

• 1 month later...

Dear Pluto,

There are no exact requirements it just depends on the deal.

I will shortly post my amazing experience in this arena. It might be a while as I wait for further offers to materialise that have emanated from an Immigration office refusal (effectively, as the real answer comes from Bangkok (They told Me)).

You will be well advised to ignore advice that has any substantive idea in it, it will come down to Baht. Not to do so could waste a lot of your time and Baht.

Remember TiT you stand no chance.

Space x

Edited by spacebass

Hi,

May I ask about the 40,000 per month earning.

I am making more than that, my GF is making less than that. I am on a Tourist visa.

If her bank was to show 40K p/m going in every month, is that enough, or does she need to provide tax slips etc.?

Thanks.

Edited by Yimmy

Hi,

May I ask about the 40,000 per month earning.

I am making more than that, my GF is making less than that. I am on a Tourist visa.

If her bank was to show 40K p/m going in every month, is that enough, or does she need to provide tax slips etc.?

Thanks.

You already posted your question in your own topic. Keep it with one topic and don't start asking questions here also. it only confusses matters.

Hi,1question about the 40000baht income,I get pension as income but do not use a thai bankaccount,instead I still use my home bank account and atm card,I have a letter from my embassy,will that be ok or does the immigration insists to have the pension go to thai bankaccount?

Hi,1question about the 40000baht income,I get pension as income but do not use a thai bankaccount,instead I still use my home bank account and atm card,I have a letter from my embassy,will that be ok or does the immigration insists to have the pension go to thai bankaccount?

The letter from your Embassy should be enough. There is no requirement to actually transfer it into a Thai bank.

However every Immigration Office has different ideas. Check with them.

The letter from your Embassy should be enough. There is no requirement to actually transfer it into a Thai bank.

However every Immigration Office has different ideas. Check with them.

Thanks alot,i will try

She is way out of line with this. She is trying to force him to do a reitrement extension instead of an extension for marriage. There has been no changes she is just being bull headed.

He should force her bluff by requesting the reason for the denial in writing as per the following clause of the police order.

4. If the applicant does not fully meet the qualifications as prescribed by this order, the competent official shall inform the applicant for his/her denial and he/she departs within 7 days after the permission date ended.

In case the applicant wishes to review the denial by the orders mentioned in clause 1, the applicant shall re-submit an application for another review, citing the reasons for the re-submission in a letter to a competent official holding a rank of a police inspector and higher. This is for the purpose of obtaining a decision in writing on the application. In this case, the applicant may attach all supporting documents to the application for re-submission at the same time. The review shall be carried out within the time limit prescribed by paragraph 1. During the proceeding of the consideration, the competent official shall set the date of result hearing within 7 days after the review application is submitted.

Edit: Copy of police order. Police_Order_2551_777.pdf Police_Order_2551_777_in_Thai.pdf

I'm impressed with your reply - thanks !!! Although "Competant Official" must be an oxymoron !! Grateful for any info on how to identify/contact this official - will he/she be in the same office or perhaps another ?

Sorry to sound a bit naff !! This same "lady" has said to my friend he cannot apply for a "marriage" 1 year visa until his Imm "O" visa has LESS than a month to go before it expires - any comments please.

Edited by nongwajohn

I'm impressed with your reply - thanks !!! Although "Competant Official" must be an oxymoron !! Grateful for any info on how to identify/contact this official - will he/she be in the same office or perhaps another ?

Sorry to sound a bit naff !! This same "lady" has said to my friend he cannot apply for a "marriage" 1 year visa until his Imm "O" visa has LESS than a month to go before it expires - any comments please.