Krabi - Richie Collins

Humphrey Bear

I'm English too.

I was just trying to distinguish that 'jai yen' is a Thai cultural phenomenon, in the absence of which one might have proto-anarchy with everyone screaming and ranting like barbarians and bashing each other up at the slightest provocation.

At least Thailand has this behavioural qualifier of self-control - go to the PRC and see how they treat one another !

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

btw, regarding the earlier post about the thai policeman who shot dead the british couple last year, did a runner and then came back to thailand, what is the latest?

Is he facing charges? What is happening? Is the double murder just going to fade out of the limelight?

I have lived in Thailand for more than 12 years so far and really haven't had any problems at all...maybe I am just lucky, but I prefer to think that I just treat people as people. As The_Eye_Of_Sauron said, bad things happen...they do, and as awful as it is that something like this can happen to a friend and genuinely decent guy, by all accounts, these things occur almost anywhere we travel in the world. The murderer will, we hope, face justice, but as various people have pointed out, this is Thailand - we can only hope. My condolences go out to his family, his girlfriend, and his mates and colleagues - please, everyone, be careful...no matter where in the world you live...we all owe it to the ones who love us.

..He will be invited to attend at Wireless Raod at 9.10.a.m. sharp and to meet with Mr. Farquarharson and bring with him the details of each death duly typed both in English and in Thai all in triplicate together with his birth certificate any membership badges including RSPCA and Green peace cards.

A fee of 3000 baht will be payable by him with a further fee of 2000 baht upon deliverence of the decision as to whether a major investigation into the deaths is to be launched.

The decision will be given in person to him when he arrives 2 days later at the appointed time of 9.00 a.m. (no allowance will be made for expenses during this decision period).

The decision will be full and final with no leave to appeal, although a box of tissues will be available to wipe away any stress which may be caused. :o

I know what will happen:  his letter will go straight in the "nut case" file -- which I imagine at the UK Embassy is quite thick.

I would have liked to see a smiley at the end of your retort, cock; but I fear you may be right, although I suspect that the aforementioned file is a little thicker in your country. :D:D:o

btw, regarding the earlier post about the thai policeman who shot dead the british couple last year, did a runner and then came back to thailand, what is the latest?

Is he facing charges? What is happening? Is the double murder just going to fade out of the limelight?

from today in the uk

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005111031,,00.html

from today in the uk

Wearing a kevlar? Doesnt that speak volumes.... :o

Edited by britmaveric

Living in a hot country is no excuse for killing someone.

Parts of Australia and America get hotter than Thailand year round and you don't see foreigners in those countries killed off by the locals for losing face.

Same in the Gulf States. Lots of foreigners there and very, very few murders. And before anyone says anything, most of these countries do have legal bars, alcohol and a reasonable social scene, so it is not due to the fact that people live a cloistered existence.

I have to agree with Griser that the various policies of the Toxin administration are making Thailand less and less attractive for Westerners, which I suppose is precisely the intention.

Edited by Rumpole

Living in a hot country is no excuse for killing someone.

Parts of Australia and America get hotter than Thailand year round and you don't see foreigners in those countries killed off by the locals for losing face.

Same in the Gulf States. Lots of foreigners there and very, very few murders. And before anyone says anything, most of these countries do have legal bars, alcohol and a reasonable social scene, so it is not due to the fact that people live a cloistered existence.

I have to agree with Griser that the various policies of the Toxin administration are making Thailand less and less attractive for Westerners, which I suppose is precisely the intention.

Oh don`t get Thaksin wrong...he wants Westerners and their money....it`s just that he`s found a crusade which has enabled him to stay in power for another period.

He will change his policies if he feels that he is losing popularity....just wait and see... :o

There seem to be an awful lot of Brits in Thailand. I think there are also a ton of Israelis.

I don't think when these murders happen the Thais think, ah, he is only a Brit I will get away with this but watch out for that one, he is an American.

I was walking in the mountains with an israeli who, like all i have met, had done his national service. He told me that whenever there is a killing of israelis as there was at eg. the olympic village in germany, Mossad, their version of mi6, 'investigate' it and they do not stop until everybody is 'brought to justice'.

The israelis are quite confident that their government will make sure justice occurs one way or another. I wonder if the Brits feel the same way.

At least Thailand has this behavioural qualifier of self-control - go to the PRC and see how they treat one another !

Yes, the citizens of the PRC push, shove and often treat each other with what appears to be borderline contempt. However, violent crime against foreigners is still comparatively rare and the Chinese authorities usually effect swift and merciless retribution against any local who is foolish enough to attack a foreigner.

They aren't as nervous or shy around us anymore. Thus, we will get treated as they do to each other.

This is a VERY valid point!

Just think of the number of Thais who get stabbed/shot over petty arguments!

We don't hear about these cases, but are they less deserving of our concerns...?

Double standards people!

They aren't as nervous or shy around us anymore. Thus, we will get treated as they do to each other.

This is a VERY valid point!

Just think of the number of Thais who get stabbed/shot over petty arguments!

We don't hear about these cases, but are they less deserving of our concerns...?

Double standards people!

You have a valid point, however I am not Thai (or Chinese or Bahraini or whatever). If I feel that my presence as a foreigner in a country is attracting unduly negative attention, to the point where I no longer feel comfortable there, then I am obviously going to think very seriously about whether I wish to remain in or even visit that country. I am not just talking about personal security here, as I believe that Thailand is still a fairly safe place, certainly when compared to many Western countries. I am including issues like the Byzantine immigration regulations and other xenephobic and discriminatory practices which really do appear to have become more and more pronounced over the last few years.

The perception, however erroneous, that foreigners are being targeted for acts of violence and that the perpetrators of those acts can also evade punishment with the apparent sanction of the authorities, will do little to encourage tourism or foreign investment in the country.

Edited by Rumpole

Wow I feel safer in Pakistan LOL! Oh and when people talk about their Thai girl being jealous well I'm sorry to break it to some guys but she is not jealous she is mad that her meal ticket might be snatched up by another girl you're only dollar signs in her eyes LOL! She would leave you in an instant for a richer man.

Even though its f'n cold right now in Canada, I don't mind the laid back attitude of Canadians we are not an angry people. ..........

DAMMIT! I hate the cold! get me to Thailand!!! LOL!!

I know what will happen:  his letter will go straight in the "nut case" file -- which I imagine at the UK Embassy is quite thick.

I would tend to agree, Pvt, if the 23 page rambling letter I read from a very confused British citizen in Hat Yai is any indication. He asked me to proof-read it and edit it for him. I suggested to him that he omit the portion about how the bar girl he met in Pattaya was the Devil himself/herself.

from today in the uk

Thanks for the link, David. I think that's the key to a proper resolution in this case; to keep it in the spotlight. The link update reflects again just how despicable this killing was.

all right then... a farang would get 30 years for having sex with a 16 year old but if a cab driver stabbs a farang what do you think he will get?

Hey its not like he had sex with her... and even then... it still comes from both sides...

What happened to the country of smiles? Country of stabbs sounds better cause lately that's all about you hear.

Slightly off-topic - sorry - but last night channel 7 showed a police "re-enactment" of a crime committed by a Bangkok motor-cycle taxi man. He would take his female Thai passenger to a secluded spot, kill her and rape the dead body. He was caught after a number of such murder/rapes.

What is so shocking, is not that this "re-enactment" was shown on TV - which is bad enough - but that the relatives and friends of the dead were watching as this man showed how he raped the body. Naturally there was a near riot as these distraught people tried to get at the man who was protected by several policemen. All this was shown on TV - no doubt working wonders for channel 7's viewing numbers.

You know , this recent killing of a foreigner has led me to believe that thailand is no longer safe for EXpats to live in.

The recent kiling of the two backpacker by the Thai policemen apparently send a strong signal to the native population that its OK to kill foreigners if your angry at them or lose face.

Get angry at a foreigner....NO problem...kill him and get off scott free!

If I was a brit I'd contact my embassy and push to have a warning posted for thailand.

greg

OK, if Thailand is so "bad" ; why don't you lot (the falangs) just pack up and leave

LOS ?

The only people who'll miss your money - not you- are the ladies of the night and possibly some lady boys.

What a lot of farangs don't realize is that lots of Thai woman hanging around with farangs already have a Thai husband, or at least boyfriend who is living off the proceeds. Sometimes things can turn nasty when misunderstandings and jealousy occur. As we all know life is superficial and cheap in Thailand.