Switching Passports (irish & Us)

I have duel citizenship US & Irish. I’m currently on the last extension of a double-entry tourist visa I obtained on my US passport from the Thai embassy in Washington DC.

I plan to go to Penang in a few weeks to apply for another multiple-entry tourist visa, but would like to use my Irish passport when I enter Malaysia, and for the new visa.

Would switching to my Irish passport raise suspicions that might cause me not to receive the new visa in Penang? Also, my Irish passport is new and unused, in case that might further raise eyebrows.

Thanks,

And what about the visa in your US passport that is running out? You need to exit on that passport. And Malaysia is not going to let you enter on your Irish Passport as they do not like dual passports one bit and will be looking for an exit stamp.

And what about the visa in your US passport that is running out?  You need to exit on that passport.  And Malaysia is not going to let you enter on your Irish Passport as they do not like dual passports one bit and will be looking for an exit stamp.

Wow, ignorant of that reality. I guess that answers that from the Malaysian side—and the Thais are not going to look too kindly to a blank passport in Penang? So, are you saying I should wait until leaving the region, say back to the US or Europe, and submit my Irish passport there or upon my return? I will be getting married to a woman here, so will then apply for an O visa, but that won’t be until the end of the year. She asked me if I could start putting all my paperwork through on my Irish passport, which is fine with me, just trying to figure out how to begin that process. What about entering on the Irish passport (coming back from the US), getting a 30-day stamp at the airport, then switching to the O after that?

Thanks,

Am not at all sure why she would be telling you what passport to use? Marriage is simple and only one paper is required and that is the same procedure on any passport.

There would be less chance of questions about a blank passport in the country involved or at least in the west where stamps are not as common.

Am not at all sure why she would be telling you what passport to use?  Marriage is simple and only one paper is required and that is the same procedure on any passport.

There would be less chance of questions about a blank passport in the country involved or at least in the west where stamps are not as common.

Thanks, will probably pursue the out of region approach. Sorry, I guess my choice of words regarding “paperwork” was awkward—I should have said passport with paperwork. She just asked--and I aggreed, that given all the traveling she and I do, and the declining number of friends the US has been making/keeping, seems reasonable, if possible, to start putting all the visas on the Irish one.

All the best,

Out of curiosity, what made you decide to retire US passport?

Not planning to retire the US passport--still will use it-- but since I have a choice and should choose one or the other for all the Thai visas, might as well go Irish. Plus, wil probably be making more trips to Europe than the US, so the Irish is more convenient, and should it ever matter, maybe a bit less controversial.

All the best,