1 Year Retirement- Visa To 1 Year Marriage-visa

hello!!

I hope that my question hasn´t been answered too many times before. I was looking somewhat for earlier replies but didt find any.

My valid 1 year retirement-VISA NON-O now says. "Extension of stay permitted up to 1 oct 2009". During this past year I have married a thaigirl, and I would like to change to marriage-VISA with multiple entry now next time. I am going next summer to visit Sweden. By the way if it does matter, I live in Chaiyaphum. Some lovely 340 km one way from Bangkok.

Can somebody be helpful to me and give me instructions or information on how to do this. I am afraid that I may will miss some important details when it comes to changing into i.e. multiple entries....

Plse help me!!

Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Do you have an extension of stay you got at immigration or a visa issued by a consulate or embassy.

If an extension just put to live with my wife on the application instead of retirement and have all the documents required for an extension based upon marriage. Then get a multiple re-entry permit.

To get a multiple entry visa you will just need your marriage certificate and a copy of her ID when you go to an embassy or consulate.

Next month you can go to immigration and ask for an extension of stay based on marriage. You will need to show either an incoem of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand for at least 3 months. You will also need your wife to accompany you, and take alot of papers. Beter ask your local immirgation what exactly you will need.

At the same time you can apply for a multiple re-netry permit, which alows you to leave and come bck to Thailand while keeping your permission to stay alive.

Note that if you qalify for an extension of stay based on retirement it is much easier to do, as it requires less paperwork. For an extension based on marriage you will need to come back after 30 days, for final approval. The extension based on retirement is given right away.

Next month you can go to immigration and ask for an extension of stay based on marriage. You will need to show either an incoem of 40,000 a month OR 400,000 in a bankaccount in Thailand for at least 3 months. You will also need your wife to accompany you, and take alot of papers. Beter ask your local immirgation what exactly you will need.

At the same time you can apply for a multiple re-netry permit, which alows you to leave and come bck to Thailand while keeping your permission to stay alive.

Note that if you qalify for an extension of stay based on retirement it is much easier to do, as it requires less paperwork. For an extension based on marriage you will need to come back after 30 days, for final approval. The extension based on retirement is given right away.

------------------------------------------------

Thanks all of you guys responding so quick, it is highly appreciated. I am sorry if I was not detailed enough. But it is like this anyhow:

- I got my 1 year retirement-VISA at Immigration in Bangkok

- Due to the downfall of our beloved currencies my pension dropped way below 65.000 baht monthly. But well above 40.000 baht.

- I have today a VISA that is NON O and I believe that stops me from travelling?? I mean, if I go, I have to do all VISA-WORK all over again??? And should like to avoid that. As I really for the last time will go back for 2 weeks to Sweden during the coming 1 year period.

So i guess maybe this is what you guys were asking me above??

Thanks anyhow for any help

Glegolo

Seems you have an extension of stay. You can trravel outside the country while on an extension of stay, but will need to get a re-entry permit from immigration. This will keep your permission to stay alive when you leave Thiland. Bt you must re-enter Thailand before your permission to stay expires, otherwise you will need to get a new visa.

It is not called a visa it is an extension of stay. I suspect that whatever visa you had before has already expired.

You can get a re-entry permit after that stamp your passport with the new extension. You can get a muliple entry (3800 baht) or a single (1000 baht) either one will be valid for use for the length of your extension of stay.

If you are living in Chaiyaphum now you will be getting your extension in Loei not Bangkok. If you go to Bangkok they will turn you away.

Don't let the paperwork statement scare you away because it should only be 3 more than for the retirement extension requires.

Edited by ubonjoe

Seems you have an extension of stay. You can trravel outside the country while on an extension of stay, but will need to get a re-entry permit from immigration. This will keep your permission to stay alive when you leave Thiland. Bt you must re-enter Thailand before your permission to stay expires, otherwise you will need to get a new visa.

------------------------

Great, understand you 100% and together with your ealier post i hopefully got it right now, I am sitting here and put together a list of what documents is needed, and it seems to be a lot, something that I musn´t miss!!!

Glegolo

------------------------

Great, understand you 100% and together with your ealier post i hopefully got it right now, I am sitting here and put together a list of what documents is needed, and it seems to be a lot, something that I musn´t miss!!!

Glegolo

You can apply from 30 days till your current permission to stay expires and you are well advised to do it early, incase you forget some document. Even if you extend early, they will still extend from the day your current permission to stay expires. So you won't loose any days.

If you have the financial resources to get extension based on retirement then why change. Fewer requirements for retirement extension in my opinion.

----------------------------

Understand what you mean, but as I mentioned in my thread, the value of the currency has dropped and my former income last year was way

much higher than now today! That means that I today have round 50.000 and last year that was something like 67.000 baht.

I cannot get an extension based on retirement, that is the fact unfortunately. So I think I go for the marriage alternative with

a monthly income of 40.000 baht, that is OK.

Ubonjoe!! thnks yr answer. Do you think that they will stop me in BKK immigration even though I must go to my embassy in BKK to

get a document that confirms my pension???? I have heard that with a good reason it can be possible sometime to go to another immigration office. just give your thoughts. I dont know anything, so it is highly appreciated from my side.

BR - Glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Ubonjoe!! thnks yr answer. Do you think that they will stop me in BKK immigration even though I must go to my embassy in BKK to

get a document that confirms my pension???? I have heard that with a good reason it can be possible sometime to go to another immigration office. just give your thoughts. I dont know anything, so it is highly appreciated from my side.

BR - Glegolo

Since February of this year it is mandatory that you use the assigned immigration office for where your live to get your extensions, re-entry permits and 90 day reports.

In your case that is the Tha Li immigration office in Loei provence.

You can find a map and address here. http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&amp...amp;t=h&z=6

Sorry to appear dumb but a quick look on the Thai Visa page relating to a Non-O extension doesn't mention the 400k option. What's the score with that? Is it a mistake? I was hoping to extend my non-b in October using the 400k option seeing as I don't work and am too young for retirement. Last year I extended using my wife's salary but that option has flown out of the window now.

Please flame me if I've missed something blindingly obvious.

http://www.thaivisa.com/304.0.html

Sorry to appear dumb but a quick look on the Thai Visa page relating to a Non-O extension doesn't mention the 400k option. What's the score with that? Is it a mistake? I was hoping to extend my non-b in October using the 400k option seeing as I don't work and am too young for retirement. Last year I extended using my wife's salary but that option has flown out of the window now.

Please flame me if I've missed something blindingly obvious.

http://www.thaivisa.com/304.0.html

Sorry, the information on that page needs to be updated. The rule is indeed 40,000 income or 400,000 in the bank.

Phew! Thanks Mario. I saw the Thai Visa list was dated April 2009 and when I went to immi recently for my 90 day report they handed me a list stating 400k or 40k baht salary. For a few minutes I thought to myself

"Stop f#cking around Thailand and give me a f#cking break!" :)

Lop,Mario:

May be a coincidence,but are you aware of the fact that you are,with your answers,pushing people to a retirement Visa(extension)

instead of a "marriage' Visa(extension).

I'm 99.99% sure the Immigration doesn't give you any teamoney :) so why?

the 30 days waiting time should not be a big problem for a retired farang.

The new assignation of regional Offices could be,but then the trend is much older then that!

The cash difference between the 2 kinds of Visa is not important?

For people on retirement the cash difference often is not that important. especially when talking pension income; and that would be the only reason I can see of using the marriage - which requires both you and wife be healthy at the same time each year to make the trek to Immigration. Immigration prefers you use the retirement (and make no bones about it) so you are treated better - the wife, although treated well, was very upset at the way some wives were being treated when we used that option. To me retirement is a win-win situation. But I have never said anyone has to do it this way. Ubonjoe actively advises to use the wife option to keep grandfather rights at that level and see his point - but for me retirement fits and if the cash level becomes a problem can return to marriage (but if it has also increased would have to pay the current level).

Sorry, the information on that page needs to be updated. The rule is indeed 40,000 income or 400,000 in the bank.

Yes, and be sure to show money in a savings as opposed to a current account, the latter of which was rejected by Phuket immigration in my case.

I tried the retired > married-to-a-Thai route in 2006 and failed. I showed my Hong Kong marriage certificate (plus wife) to Phang Nga Immigration who instructed me to take the certificate to Hong Kong, get a copy notarised by a Thai Embassy-approved notary (original not acceptable!), get a translation done by a Thai Embassy-approved translater, get both documents stamped by the Thai Embassy, and come back. One return airfare, hotel bill and several very expensive document charges later, I returned to Phang Nga Immigration, dox in hand, and the same official said, "Oh, you didn't need to do that. It's not acceptable anyway."

"Any comment would be superfluous", as Trink would say.

i was recently told that if one has a 1 year non imigrant O visa you simply report to

immigration every 90 days...THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO DO A "BORDER RUN"

have i missed something? is there any truth to this?

i was recently told that if one has a 1 year non imigrant O visa you simply report to

With a 12 month Non Imm O Multi Entry Visa you have to leave the country every 90 days.

With a 12 month extension from Immigration you do not. You report to Immigration every 90 days.

Not exactly.

It is probably a case of somebody calling an extension of stay a visa.

If you are married to a Thai or have a child that is Thai or are over 50 you can get an extension of stay for 1 year of a permit to stay that was obtained using a non o visa. Then you just report to immigration every 90 days.

If you are married to a Thai or have a child that is Thai or are over 50 you can get an extension of stay for 1 year of a permit to stay that was obtained using a non o visa. Then you just report to immigration every 90 days.

We have already gotten a couple of opinions regarding retirement vs. marriage extensions of stay. What is the word on retirement vs. being the father of a Thai child? are there any advantages either way?

Thanks.

We have already gotten a couple of opinions regarding retirement vs. marriage extensions of stay. What is the word on retirement vs. being the father of a Thai child? are there any advantages either way?

Thanks.

The same rules apply to being the father of a Thai national as to being married to a Thai national. Don't know if you would also be under consideration before you get the actual extension.

Note that if you have a Thai wife, they will extend on that base and nt on having a Thai child.