When Was The First Time You Visited Los?

Jockstar

First time for me was in 2002 (yes I am still kicking myself for waiting for so long) and now I am hook, since then I have been coming to LOS twice a year with side trip to Cambodia, Vietnam and Myanmar. For someone living in the US is hard to come that often because US comapny are very very cheap on vacation days, after 15 years with the same company I only get 3 weeks a year.

I have been taking Thai lesson since last year with a great private teacher from Thailand in the hope that one days I will retire there or open a business which ever come first.

I am Jealous of all you guy and girls living there already.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Early 93 on my way from Muscat in Oman to NZ to pick up one of our company aircrafts, we spend 3 fantastic weeks in Bangkok, and after returning to Oman I found in a local paper that you could buy a condo in Phuket (Phuket Palace) I went back, bought the condo and found a very nice girl, we have now been married for 12 years, soon I'll retire and we will move to LOS permanently (I hope)

2002 December -20 Toronto Ontario, I was walking the streets of China town crying after finding out I had a learning disability that I wasn't told about until age 27. I felt like a 7 year old kid crying my eyes out in Toronto it was so dam cold outside my tears froze to my cheeks. In my teens and twenties I struggled through school and failing everything I did academically and I thought it was my fault. I thought it was my fault that I was a failure even though I had ADD and a severe learning disorder I didn't find out about until the age of 27. So there I was weeping like a child in China town. I walked by a travel agency with tears in my eyes said to myself I got to get out of this f'n country!! With only 3000$ in the bank I walked into the travel agency and told the pretty Asian girl to take me somewhere warm. Her sweet face looked me and asked me if I was ok? I said no I'm not! I need to get the ###### out of this cold! She then smiled at me and said in the most cheerful voice I've ever heard in my entire life "Why don't you visit my country? Thailand!! "

Her smile was so beautiful I said "Is the country as beautiful as you? (still shivering from the cold with the most depressed look on my face) She grabbed my hand said "don't worry my sweetheart Thailand will make you happy and I promise to get you a good deal" She saw the situation I was in and got me an amazing deal! a ticket to Thailand Thai airways leaving the next week for 850$ She asked me why I was so sad I told her everything. She had even more sympathy for me and gave me free hotel vouchers and a tour around Bangkok. As I was leaving she gave me a hug and touched my cheek with her hand and told me "everything will be ok you visit me when you come back ok?" That same night I went home and told my parents I'll be going away for the winter. They saw the bad almost suicidal situation I was in and gave me some money for my trip. My mom then tells me "A very close family friend of ours has a small hotel/restaurant in Bangkok he will let you stay there for half price for about 50-80$ a month."

The next week I was gone to BK I stepped off the plane and the heat hit me like a wall! It felt amazing to get hit like that with a wall of heat after being in -20 degree weather a few hours ago! It felt like I was being cured! I caught a taxi to my "family friend’s hotel" He greeted me with open arms and let me stay there for free!! The whole time I was in BK I went out with a few guys from the hotel walking through the malls, checking out the Thai high school girls and eating at the food court at MBK.

It was great to see palm trees and the street life of BK, with its night markets and all of the smiling faces. No I didn't fall in love but I did meet many beautiful university/HS girls and bedded a few to hehe. I spent my days going around BK discovering and exploring temples, malls and street markets. That warm wind really sooths the soul. I remember the food, everyday getting excited about lunch and dinner and the delicious seafood I’d be having soon mmmm! I stayed in BK until May and when I came home I felt like I was cured. I went to get help for my learning disability and now I’m almost done my diploma and I will be finished in may of this year. Moving to Thailand is certainly a option but I want to be well off before I move there I don’t want to be teaching English for the rest of my life while I’m there so that I why I’m working on a few projects and by the end of this year I won’t have to worry about money for the rest of my life!

Oh and that nice travel agent in Toronto is now working for Thai airways in BK.

Edited by thaidancer

Interesting story Thaidancer...the heat and humidity are a real shock for Canadians and Europeans. Coming to Thailand for the first time was different for me since I already knew somebody here (my wife) and I stayed with her and her family living more like a Thai than a tourist. Lots of folks who come here alone looking for an adventure end up having one that they didn't plan on and regret later on. It sounds like your first trip worked out well for you and I hope your moving here someday does too. Good luck! :o

2002 December -20 Toronto Ontario, I was walking the streets of China town crying after finding out I had a learning disability that I wasn't told about until age 27. I felt like a 7 year old kid crying my eyes out in Toronto it was so dam cold outside my tears froze to my cheeks. In my teens and twenties I struggled through school and failing everything I did academically and I thought it was my fault. I thought it was my fault that I was a failure even though I had ADD and a severe learning disorder I didn't find out about until the age of 27. So there I was weeping like a child in China town. I walked by a travel agency with tears in my eyes said to myself I got to get out of this f'n country!! With only 3000$ in the bank I walked into the travel agency and told the pretty Asian girl to take me somewhere warm. Her sweet face looked me and asked me if I was ok? I said no I'm not! I need to get the ###### out of this cold! She then smiled at me and said in the most cheerful voice I've ever heard in my entire life "Why don't you visit my country? Thailand!! "

Her smile was so beautiful I said "Is the country as beautiful as you? (still shivering from the cold with the most depressed look on my face) She grabbed my hand said "don't worry my sweetheart Thailand will make you happy and I promise to get you a good deal" She saw the situation I was in and got me an amazing deal! a ticket to Thailand Thai airways leaving the next week for 850$  She asked me why I was so sad I told her everything. She had even more sympathy for me and gave me free hotel vouchers and a tour around Bangkok.  As I was leaving she gave me a hug and touched my cheek with her hand and told me "everything will be ok you visit me when you come back ok?" That same night I went home and told my parents I'll be going away for the winter. They saw the bad almost suicidal situation I was in and gave me some money for my trip. My mom then tells me "A very close family friend of ours has a small hotel/restaurant in Bangkok he will let you stay there for half price for about 50-80$ a month."

The next week I was gone to BK I stepped off the plane and the heat hit me like a wall! It felt amazing to get hit like that with a wall of heat after being in -20 degree weather a few hours ago! It felt like I was being cured! I caught a taxi to my "family friend’s hotel" He greeted me with open arms and let me stay there for free!! The whole time I was in BK I went out with a few guys from the hotel walking through the malls, checking out the Thai high school girls and eating at the food court at MBK.

It was great to see palm trees and the street life of BK, with its night markets and all of the smiling faces. No I didn't fall in love but I did meet many beautiful university/HS girls and bedded a few to hehe. I spent my days going around BK discovering and exploring temples, malls and street markets. That warm wind really sooths the soul. I remember the food, everyday getting excited about lunch and dinner and the delicious seafood I’d be having soon mmmm! I stayed in BK until May and when I came home I felt like I was cured. I went to get help for my learning disability and now I’m almost done my diploma and I will be finished in may of this year. Moving to Thailand is certainly a option but I want to be well off before I move there I don’t want to be teaching English for the rest of my life while I’m there so that I why I’m working on a few projects and by the end of this year I won’t have to worry about money for the rest of my life!

I'm human,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,that story brought tears to my eyes

It's quite a tale of guts and determination isn't it?

Best of luck to you ThaiDancer. For a guy with a learning disability you write remarkably well and you tell a good story.

He sure does...it's always nice to hear a sucess story like this, especially from a young person who has had to struggle for years and not knowing what was dragging him down.

Edited by Thaiboxer

Her smile was so beautiful I said "Is the country as beautiful as you? (still shivering from the cold with the most depressed look on my face) She grabbed my hand said "don't worry my sweetheart Thailand will make you happy and I promise to get you a good deal" She saw the situation I was in and got me an amazing deal! a ticket to Thailand Thai airways leaving the next week for 850$  She asked me why I was so sad I told her everything. She had even more sympathy for me and gave me free hotel vouchers and a tour around Bangkok.  As I was leaving she gave me a hug and touched my cheek with her hand and told me "everything will be ok you visit me when you come back ok?" That same night I went home and told my parents I'll be going away for the winter. They saw the bad almost suicidal situation I was in and gave me some money for my trip. My mom then tells me "A very close family friend of ours has a small hotel/restaurant in Bangkok he will let you stay there for half price for about 50-80$ a month."

Thaidancer. What an awsome story. I thought at the end you were gonna say you married the Thai girl. All the best for the future mate.

First arrived in January 73.  I flew into Udorn RTAFB on a C-141 and then was transported by bus a few clicks down the road the
7th RRFS (officially meaning Radio Research Field Station but more commonly referred to as the Rock & Roll Freak Show
). The day I arrived happened to coincide with general elections after the latest coup so everyone was restricted to base. Our little installation was the home of a FLR-9, a huge direction finding antenna commonly nicknamed the Elephant Cage. So what do I see when I first pulled onto Ramasun Station, an elephant near the antenna! Turns out they brought one on base to give rides. Somehow I suspect that was small consolation to those who'd rather be partying just off base or downtown Udorn.

I've since been back for visits in 89 and 2001. Hope to make it back for a visit in 2-3 years with eventual retirement in the PakChong area.

:D

Bit of a Spooky assignment, I'd say.

Doing that Ionospheric Propagation Research?

:o

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Thanks everyone for the kind words and I'm just an example that no matter how hard or tough things get there is always a way to over come the toughest of obstacles. Its been a long road but the Chinese style treatment I’m getting for the condition I have is working and has been working for a couple of years now. Yeah my life is really good now and I’m happy where I'm at right now. I'll be coming to Thailand in October.

Edited by thaidancer

Me too...

Isn't it great when you read a nice story like this?

It restores my faith in humanity.

Hey Thaidancer... make sure you stay in touch with TV and let us all know when you're here. I for one would like to meet you and shake your hand.

Great post. :o

Me too...

Isn't it great when you read a nice story like this?

It restores my faith in humanity.

Hey Thaidancer... make sure you stay in touch with TV and let us all know when you're here. I for one would like to meet you and shake your hand.

Great post. :o

Brought tears to my eyes too!!!

Congrats Thaidancer on facing up to your problem and against all odds sorting things out.

An inspiration to us all :D

My first trip was 1982 and boy was Pattaya different then :D

Many trips in between and 2002 met my wife and am now semi-retired here (Korat).

To add to my bliss our son was born 10th December last year and now my trips to the UK will be few and far between :D

While on leave in Europe from my job in the Gulf the most attractive hooker at the time happened to be Thai. We kinda liked each other also after sex so when she retired to LOS in 1995 my leave schedule (6on/3off) was quickly rerouted in the same direction and I haven't set foot in my home country ever since.

Still hit it off with the same girl so things worked out well for both of us.