New Movies, Inglourious Basterds, A Must See!

Jingthing

This film is bloody fantastic. Its worth the price of admission alone to watch Brad Pitt speaking American accented Italian. The film is a weird wonderful hybrid being a Tarantino creation, but it does involve great comedy about the Nazi era. Hogan's Heroes started that and now we have Inglourious Basterds.

My question is this, how would this film be received today by modern Germans? Will they squirm when their fictional historic countrymen are scalped by the Aldo the Apache (played by Brad Pitt)? Or how about when "Staff Sergeant Donny Donowitz the Bear Jew" practices his baseball batting on a Nazi baseball head?

In any case, you really must see this movie. It is superb entertainment and very, very funny.

Edited by Jingthing

They got used to it and accept, that their fictional historic countrymen are the losers in almost all what Hollywood brought out, because they don't identify themselves with them at all.

Yes that's probably the case however some of the jokes in this movie are generic German jokes such as calling a German a schnitzel licker. There are some amazing moments in this movie, where a little detail says a lot, such as when Joseph Goebbels puts out a cigarette in his apple strudel ...

I'm not sure they would approve of this movie at all however I doubt the most Germans will ever get the chance to pass comment on it. As all material related to the Nazis is banned inside Germany I believe. So the movie will never see the light of day there. The same reason computer games such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honour are banned there also.

As for me I just saw this movie last night, I thought it was excellent! Started some great debate between the other half and myself about it all. Plus they showed the Avatar trailer before the show last night too as it was Avatar day, even though the cheeky buggers in Thailand made it a media only event when it was meant to be free for the fans as requested by Cameron himself.

Martin

Is that really true that this movie won't be shown in Germany? I find that amazing.

Anyway, I want to share this glowing review, which I agree with:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...amp;type=movies

If you miss this movie you are really missing something, a mass market movie that is also a work of art. I think it is probably going to win best picture for this year, for whatever that is worth ...

such as when Joseph Goebbels puts out a cigarette in his apple strudel ...

Oops, I got that one wrong. It was the comedic "Nazi hunter" character who used his strudel that way. BTW, the strudel looked really good!

Edited by Jingthing

The Gemans make many movies about the Nazi's, the film can be shown there without any problem.

But Germany has strict laws on Nazi regalia.

I stand corrected, thanks, this is being shown in Germany, you can find the German film times on google search even. I do wonder then what kind of reception it is getting there then. I would think the majority of the younger generations who have only very far removed family connections to this period directly should not have too many issues with it, especially in the caricature almost cartoonish way the Nazis are portrayed in the movie.

Martin

Yeah I think the German audiences will be OK with it, but on some level I would still think there has to be some naturally human revulsion when your countrymen are shown to be scalped and such, cartoon or not, well deserved or not ...

The Gemans make many movies about the Nazi's, the film can be shown there without any problem.

.................some won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film - The Tin Drum and

The Counterfeiters

2 top movies indeed!

Is that really true that this movie won't be shown in Germany? I find that amazing.

Anyway, I want to share this glowing review, which I agree with:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?...amp;type=movies

If you miss this movie you are really missing something, a mass market movie that is also a work of art. I think it is probably going to win best picture for this year, for whatever that is worth ...

such as when Joseph Goebbels puts out a cigarette in his apple strudel ...

Oops, I got that one wrong. It was the comedic "Nazi hunter" character who used his strudel that way. BTW, the strudel looked really good!

I thought it was very good as a Tarentino vehicle. It had his signature all over it. I did not find it funny, as you did, though many of the characters were able to employ humerous dialogue.

It was not very good as a "war" picture but there were some very good acting performances IMO. Best Picture material? No way.

Best Picture material? No way.

I'll take that bet.

OK, maybe it won't win it, but it will definitely be nominated.

Also the German actor Christoph Waltz for his portrayal of Landa the Jew Hunter will win an acting award. Brat Pitt won't.

Edited by Jingthing

Best Picture material? No way.

I'll take that bet.

OK, maybe it won't win it, but it will definitely be nominated.

Also the German actor Christoph Waltz for his portrayal of Landa the Jew Hunter will win an acting award. Brat Pitt won't.

Actually, I agree with all that. The portrayal of Landa was a stellar performance. I thought the girl was very good too, and gorgeous.

I am going to watch it tonight sounds great.

The Mrs is not over enthusiastic but, dont know why.

Aboot the Germans Ye bombed me Nanas Chip Shop.

That free German food on Cowboy New Years Eve was lovely.

And every German i meet are Top Blokes with a sense of humour.

I loved this film. An amalgamation of the Spaghetti Western and the WW2 flick. So many film references it requires at least a second screening. Agree Christoph Waltz is brilliant and will certainly be nominated for a best supporting Oscar. Can't wait for the Director's cut with missing scenes of Maggie Cheung (Madame Mimieux) and Cloris Leachman. Pitt's character is a nod to Aldo Ray (whose made is home in Crockett, CA, hence Raine's coming from Tennessee).

Favorite scene: Ms. Mimiuex dressing for the premiere to Bowie's "Putting Out Fires (with Gasoline)", from "Cat People".

I also liked Mike Myers cameo, Rod Taylor's Winston Churchill and Samuel L. Jackson's narration.

There are some amazing moments in this movie, where a little detail says a lot, such as when Joseph Goebbels puts out a cigarette in his apple strudel ...

Minor point but that scene involved Col. Landa and Emanuelle Mimieux (nee Shosanna Dreyfus). Strange he didn't whip out his Holmesian pipe?

Saw it at Siam Paragon and loved it as well

In a way it's like the new Star Trek with how it "re-booted" WW2

Would love to see a sequel set in the same timeline (they could go after Stalin!) but Tarantino has never made a sequel to any of his movies :)

I saw this on friday evening and loved it. I was surprised it was not censored in any way.

Ian

Was wondering about that, good to know it wasn't censored. Guess I'll be seeing it in the theater then this weekend instead of elsewhere.

I saw this on friday evening and loved it. I was surprised it was not censored in any way.

Ian

Was wondering about that, good to know it wasn't censored. Guess I'll be seeing it in the theater then this weekend instead of elsewhere.

Maybe the censors are Tarantino fans!

How do you know it wasn't censored? You would have to see the theatrical release in the U.S.A. and then compare it to the one here. Having said that, I don't think it was censored (cut vs. masked, obviously) here because there wasn't enough time. Perhaps if there are local complaints they might do some snipping like they did with "300"?

Quentin Tarantino was on Conan Tuesday night.

Also, this film was, at one point, pitched as a trilogy.

Edited by lomatopo

How do you know it wasn't censored?.

Well they showed the scalpings so that clued me to the lack of censorship. No fuzzy screen crapola.

The apparent lack of censorship is hopefully a good sign that the new Thai ratings system means an end to those stupid fuzzy scenes in decent movies.

Martin

Having said that, I don't think it was censored (cut vs. masked, obviously) here because there wasn't enough time.

Oh, that's not true at all. They can censor (cut or blur) a film and complete dub it in to Thai and still have the film ready to be released the same day as in the US.

I thought it was ok as entertaiment however almost no character development and the Brad Pitt character was just annoying. I think everyone will be impressed with Col. Landa, great performence. Very strange ending, don't understand the point of changing the facts of Hitlers demise when he actually did escape so many attempts on his life in reality. The New Yorker magazine has a good review, you can read online if you search their site.

daoyai:

Very strange ending, don't understand the point of changing the facts of Hitlers demise when he actually did escape so many attempts on his life in reality.

Because it is a creative fairy tale that never pretends to present itself as a documentary, that's why.

I will link the review you suggest. Name one film that is appreciated by all reviewers and you get a prize!

http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/cine...ci_cinema_denby

BTW, this review sort of addresses the issue I brought up about how audiences will view the brutality shown based on their nationality. It contends that Tarantino made both sides bad guys to diffuse any bad feelings. Interesting.

Edited by Jingthing

Black comedy - did love it, def one of the better movies all year. I did laff at Lt Aldo Raines - especially his knowledge of IIII-talian!!! :) Anyways Tartino was making a fairy tale ending to the Nazi regime - it couldnt be any other way.

Anyways District 9 is another great movie - seen two good ones in a row. (makes a change from the usual rubbish)

Here's another relevant comment from the mixed Slate review:

Brad Pitt's character speaks a line that could function as the movie's motto: "Watching Germans get beat to death is as close as we get to going to the movies." Tarantino's radical rewriting of the war's ending is audacious and perversely enthralling.

To the poster who wants historical accuracy about attempts on Hitler's life, check out the recent movie Valkyrie starring Tom Cruise, not a great movie really but closer to the facts.

.................some won the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film - The Tin Drum and

The Counterfeiters

2 top movies indeed!

Sophie Scholl-Die letzten Tage(The Final Days) can be watched on you tube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vahdRMAfFw...70C&index=0