Tot 4mbit Virtually Unusable

Daren

After significant drops in browsing speed and reliability, I decided to do a few speed tests on my TOT 4Mb/512Kb ADSL line. This is what I got:

BKK:

546058141.png

Looks great, right? Well have a look at the international tests!

Tokyo:

546060450.png

SF:

546056165.png

NYC:

546062938.png

London:

546061748.png

About the test:

- Nothing else was using the internet while testing speed

- Computer is connected directly to a D-Link G604T via ethernet

- I did several tests at each location and posted the average score

I also tried several different speed test sites, all produced very similar results, and the conclusion is my internet sucks!! A ping of over 1000 to London is completely ridiculous! With a connection like that you can forget streaming audio, much less video! When I run trace routes to websites that are located in the US or England, it oftenfails! At this point it doesn't even matter that I am actually getting 0.5Mbit to international IP's once in a while!

Is there anything to do?!? Complaining has never really worked in the past, but it's never been this bad either. Maybe they would listen if I began sending the TOT techs those speed test results..... every hour on the hour..... :):D

After significant drops in browsing speed and reliability, I decided to do a few speed tests on my TOT 4Mb/512Kb ADSL line. This is what I got:

BKK:

546058141.png

Looks great, right? Well have a look at the international tests!

Tokyo:

546060450.png

SF:

546056165.png

NYC:

546062938.png

London:

546061748.png

About the test:

- Nothing else was using the internet while testing speed

- Computer is connected directly to a D-Link G604T via ethernet

- I did several tests at each location and posted the average score

I also tried several different speed test sites, all produced very similar results, and the conclusion is my internet sucks!! A ping of over 1000 to London is completely ridiculous! With a connection like that you can forget streaming audio, much less video! When I run trace routes to websites that are located in the US or England, it oftenfails! At this point it doesn't even matter that I am actually getting 0.5Mbit to international IP's once in a while!

Is there anything to do?!? Complaining has never really worked in the past, but it's never been this bad either. Maybe they would listen if I began sending the TOT techs those speed test results..... every hour on the hour..... :):D

What operating system is your comp running? If XP, you probably need to increase your RWIN value to suit the high latency of international connections - see those high ping times.

Try broadband tweaks at the forum in www.speedguide.net

With a connection like that you can forget streaming audio, much less video!

Not sure what type of audio your talking about but I constantly listen to streamed audio from radio stations in the US and I only have Edge connection using my mobile. I have been listening for the better part of hour as I read through the forums without any drops and that is usually the case. Video is out of the question for me though.

The high latency most likely is a result of a very high sharing ratio.

Which means that your data requests are spending time in a queue.

Which often results in data comming trough in bursts, which is not important when downloading a file, but completely messes up streaming, even low bitrate audio.

Only thing you can try is increasing the buffer in whatever program is playing the stream.

Thank you for the helpful replies!

My OS is Vista and I use either Firefox or iTunes for steaming typically. Youtube is virtually unwatchable and many of my favorite radio stations are essentially the same. Though streaming is not my only issue - even browsing highly graphical sites in the UK/USA is extremely annoying.

BTW, I'm getting slightly better speeds this morning but it's still like having a crippled internet connection.

This.

Makes.

Me.

Angry!!!