How Reputable Are These Schools?

superbowl

My earlier posts were trying to figure out which universities to go too. I have now narrowed my choices down to Mahidol U and Bangkok U for the tourism and hospitality programs. My question is... how reputable are these schools outside of Asia and are the credits transferable if I would like to move on elsewhere? Will a degree from these Uni´s be accepted in career fields elsewhere? Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks!!!

Mahidol University - good reputation usually in the science fields particularly medicine.

Bangkok University - bad reputation. Pay your money, pass the course, however clueless you are.

Surely the ability to transfer any credits will rest with the institution to which the credits are to be transferred to.

Thai degrees are generally not recognised outside of Thailand. Chulalongkorn and Thammasat are the exceptions, I believe. But again it depends on the authenticating body.

I can give you a little more info about transferring credits or degrees from Mahidol as my wife has a Masters of Science degree from there. Mahidol is a very well respected university in Thailand and is considered the top ranked in Thailand in in both medicine and science (in a recent study, Mahidol was ranked #1 university in Thailand and #30 in Asia) We only know about transferring to USA colleges as my wife has taken several post-grad courses at the University of California since she arrived here. A degree from Mahidol is recognized here if you want to go on to more advanced degree. Transferring of credits and degrees requires the foreign university to send a transcript to the University here (it must be mailed directly from University to University). The transcript is then evaluated here and then the university decides how many of the credits are tranferrable partly based on the similarity to courses at their university. Usually a language test is required before a foreign student can enroll at a college here in the US. This info only applies to Mahidol and transferring to the US as it may be different transferring between other universities in Thailand and to other countries other than the US.

Thai degrees are generally not recognised outside of Thailand. Chulalongkorn and Thammasat are the exceptions, I believe. But again it depends on the authenticating body.

Not true. Where did you get that info from? I was able to transfer all my credits from Bangkok U to Australia. In addition, CPA Australia also recognised courses from Bangkok U towards my associate membership (hence recognition is not only academic in nature). Also, when I visited Bangkok U, their courses were quite up to standard (~9 years ago) - a fact that is also reflected in my grades/ marks from courses taken at unis outside of Thailand (consistent across the board). Easier to pass? For sure. But if you really want to take something away from your studies (eg knowledge) you have to study just as hard as anywhere else.

I agree in one point though - Mahidol is definitely a top uni and knowing what I know today I'd chose Mahidol (coming from a business/ science background). Not sure how much it matters for soft skills courses such as H & T.

My earlier posts were trying to figure out which universities to go too. I have now narrowed my choices down to Mahidol U and Bangkok U for the tourism and hospitality programs. My question is... how reputable are these schools outside of Asia and are the credits transferable if I would like to move on elsewhere? Will a degree from these Uni´s be accepted in career fields elsewhere? Any thoughts are helpful. Thanks!!!

This is an old thread, so I hope this reply reaches the questioner.

I used to be the Personnel Director for a major Tourism and hospitality organization in NA. We were linked to Govt, and our purpose was to assist the private sector tourism operators to market their products. Our professional marketing Reps. accompanied private sector partners to major tourism shows, the primary one being in Berlin early Spring.

These professional marketing rep. positions where strongly competed for when one became vacant.

During my time, there was a huge flux of immigration from India - in the late70's-early 80's. Many had advanced degrees. However, we were unsure how these educational credentials compared to those from local Universities. I established a working relationship with a local University, whereby they evaluated the foreign credentials of finalists for these vacancies.

You would be well served to seek out similar professional opinions from an Educational institutions in international jurisdictions that interest you. For example, if a University in an international location evaluated a four-year degree program and Thai University you are considering here, and conclude that it equates to a two-year junior college level, then you know.

If on the other hand a reputable University equates your proposed Thai program of study as being equivelant to their four-year degree program, that will be good. You would then retain this letter in your hot-little-hands, and submit it along with job application positions in international locations that interest you. Such evaluative information would also be very helpful if applying in the tourism/hospitality industry here in Thailand, especially for major, international hotel chains. If these credible educational quals. are combined with proficiency in the Thai language all the better.

Don't rely on information from this board to guide you. Obtain professional evaluation from credible Universities outside Thailand. You sure wouldn't want to spend four years in a Thai University and discover you are not in a competitive position with other job applicants.

What Maiya says is true, but if that option is unavailable to you, try to find out what western universities are partnered to your choice. This may give you some basis to evaluate the quality of the degree.

The top three (Chula, Thammasat, Mahidol) are partnered to many western universities, dependent on the faculty, but many other Thai universities have had their degrees "authorised" by a western university.

Based on your two choices, I would suggest Mahidol if you want to make sure your degree is relevant. It's also a better choice based on location, Salaya campus is beautiful.

In terms of ranking and reputation - it is a no-brainer. Mahidol by a country mile. Having said that, you should try and ascertain your credit transfer option before commencing your program. Reasonably easy to do - Mahidol will have a list of institutions abroad with which it is partnered. I would hasten to add however that, if you are intending to enrol in one of their 'international' programs, be prepared for a classroom dominated by non-native speakers. This often results in instructers dumbing down their presentgations and is a common cause for complaint from native speakers. Good luck - either way it will be an interesting experience.

Thanks so much for the help everyone!! Maiya - I am more concerned about credit transfer to western schools as I would be getting the degree from one of their affiliated schools. I will be calling those schools to figure this out. Most of them are pretty decent at least in the states and would be a good place to have a diploma from.

Emsfeld- You had a good experience at Bangkok U? Any more info on that?

Is the Mahidol campus hard far from bangkok and hard to get to? I am just a little concerned about there not being much to do outside of bangkok in that area. Let me know on thoughts about this please.

I am going to apply to both and just see if I get into Mahidol.. If not then bangkok U it is for the time being.. Maybe transfer after a semester or two to Mahidol. I think this is a pretty good plan for me for the time being... I would be moving on to get my masters in international Buissnes in a western school or maybe Japan.

Since I have been traveling my whole life.. western culture is very boring to me so I like to stay in the more exotic places. Plus, at this point in time.. the price is right for me in Thailand when it comes to school cost.

Thanks SO much and ANY other thoughts are highly appreciated.