Price Of Wine Makes Me Whine

tgf7

Ever thought of trying Thai wine..........after all we are in Thailand. It's cheap,readily available and very palatable,although I'm a believer that a good wine is worth paying a little extra for.

I agree that Thai wine is only drinkable if you don't think of it as wine. We pay extortionate prices for average wines but they are still better than Thai wines!

I have just had a look at the new Thai Tariff for NZ wine under the new free trade agreement that is yet to be signed.

NZTHAIFREETRADEAGREEMENTTARIFF

Currently wine under 23% attracts a 54% duty plus THB18 per unit.This will drop by the end of the year to 30% duty and next year to 27%.I don't know what the Aussie or yank agreements will be though.

Will it really help?

The last time I went to NZ the local wine was highly priced already. :o

Excise taxes on wine kill not only imports but the locas producers as well. Wine is an agricultural product, very cheap to produce, healthier than whiskey or beer, but, the government doesn't care about that, it cares about taxes and local liquer barons mentioned earlier.

The taxes will not come down to reasonable level with the kind of politicians who are running the show now.

• 2 weeks later...

The price of wine is about 5 times the normal price, making it extremely expensive to enjoy a drinkable bottle. Thai wines are also expensive for what you get (sour grape juice). After enduring this for a few years I finally discovered how wealthier Thais get their wine. Now my friends and I get our wine delivered at about 40% of Thai retail. Still expensive but much, much better than before.

The price of wine is about 5 times the normal price, making it extremely expensive to enjoy a drinkable bottle. Thai wines are also expensive for what you get (sour grape juice). After enduring this for a few years I finally discovered how wealthier Thais get their wine. Now my friends and I get our wine delivered at about 40% of Thai retail. Still expensive but much, much better than before.

What, the stuff that is smuggled in at Port by those with 'connections'?

Villa in Soi Ari (next to the Shinawatre building II) has got some great deals right now...There's a bottle of Chilean Red (Cabernet Sauvignon) for THB659 - it's buy one get one free...

Been drinking a lot of that....Once the bottle is opened it gets drunk...And i stagger upstairs to bed...

Do you happen to have the producer's name/vintage handy?

I can get Penfolds Bin 2 for less than half the normal price. Give me a call

Ben

05-906-0620

What vintage? What would normal, or less than half of that, price be?

I get 2003 and 2004 for 700 a bottle, and they sell at foodland and villa for 1500. I can also get Bin 389 vintage 2002 for 2000 baht and St. Henri vintage 1999 for 3000 baht.

Well..actually most countries in Asia have a fairly high price on Wine.....You do have some local variants..but for those who have tried Chinese Red Wine...it is not a viable alternative.. lol

But...in Thailand..there is a cure...

Go to your local Lotus store..they usually have an excelent selection of wines from most countries world wide... and guess what the prices are not half bad... :o

Villa in Soi Ari (next to the Shinawatre building II) has got some great deals right now...There's a bottle of Chilean Red (Cabernet Sauvignon) for THB659 - it's buy one get one free...

Been drinking a lot of that....Once the bottle is opened it gets drunk...And i stagger upstairs to bed...

Do you happen to have the producer's name/vintage handy?

I can get Penfolds Bin 2 for less than half the normal price. Give me a call

Ben

05-906-0620

What vintage? What would normal, or less than half of that, price be?

I get 2003 and 2004 for 700 a bottle, and they sell at foodland and villa for 1500. I can also get Bin 389 vintage 2002 for 2000 baht and St. Henri vintage 1999 for 3000 baht.

Sorry for the confusion 'benito' is an old account that I thought I lost the password to

• 1 year later...
Well..actually most countries in Asia have a fairly high price on Wine.....You do have some local variants..but for those who have tried Chinese Red Wine...it is not a viable alternative.. lol

But...in Thailand..there is a cure...

Go to your local Lotus store..they usually have an excelent selection of wines from most countries world wide... and guess what the prices are not half bad... :o

Lotus is no different in price from anywhere else -- Villa, Foodland, Tops, etc etc -- and has a much smaller selection, so I wouldn't recommend it at all. Amongst the different chains, the stock varies to some extent but a lot of it is the same. Wherever, if you look carefully, especially at the Chilean wines, you can often find a Cab Sauv or a Merlot under 400 baht that is okay. That's how I get plaasant enough wine without paying silly prices.

Edited by spr&q

Whatever you do, don't buy wine from Kingpower. They charge more than shops in Bkk but try to camoflage it by saying they have exclusivities on wines that are not sold anywhere else. This may be true but, if so, it only applies to a certain vintage not the chateau, if we are talking French wines. For example the 1999 may only be available at Kingpower but the 1998 which sales at a higher price than 1999 on overseas websites may be on sale at Villa for less than Kingpower is selling the lower rated 1999. I have noted several cases like this example but now just walk straight past rip off displays of wine at Kingpower. This doesn't apply to their champagne and spirits as they realise these are more like commodities that are easy for people to compare prices on.

Ever thought of trying Thai wine..........after all we are in Thailand. It's cheap,readily available and very palatable,although I'm a believer that a good wine is worth paying a little extra for.

are you referring to that sweet watery liquid which is sold as "Thai Wine"?