Plumbers Putty

longball53098

I have a need for good ole plumbers putty. I see it is basically clay with some talc and oils added. The commercial types have the correct mix to keep it soft.

Should I plan on buying some modeling clay and add my own oil and talc or is there a source in Pattaya/Rayong? I have not looked yet in the usual places..

Any old plumbers out there?

Have you tried global hardware in Rayong. I bet they probably carry some (we used to call it greased wick- string with grease around it ) for cast fittings & such. I wish I could give you a positive, but all the stuff I work with is all PVC or galvanized fittings with PVC inside. Global probably has what your after.

The stuff in a can or plastic tub is used as bedding compound to install drains, sink faucets and sinks and other uses as a leak sealer.

Using silicone is the option but it is more messy I think and if you need to repair/replace a fixture or whatever the cleanup is much easier I think.

No I have not looked at Global or anywhere as of yet.

Edited by longball53098

The stuff in a can or plastic tub is used as bedding compound to install drains, sink faucets and sinks and other uses as a leak sealer.

Using silicone is the option but it is more messy I think and if you need to repair/replace a fixture or whatever the cleanup is much easier I think.

No I have not looked at Global or anywhere as of yet.

Hi longball

Im a not too old plumber and in 99% of situations, most plumbers in the UK no longer use Plumbers putty (Plumbersmate/Bosswhite).

As you mentioned, silicone is the normal application.Your right it is messy but lasts well. A sharp craft blade(Stanley knife) is usually used to clean up dried silicone.

With extreme problem basin/sink wastes, I might still use plumbersmate.

Good luck

Dave

Why u need such bodging stuff anyway?

If u need to set a waste into a handbasin, use silicone. Generally, silicone is the best sealant - for fitting together bits that DO NOT FIT together.

Make an attempt to find bits that DO fit together.

I know that it's frustrating sourcing stuff in Thai, but it can be done. Do u have a Global store nearby? They're good.

Plumbing does not have to be a complicated nightmare of leaky crap.

Persue simplicity, value elegance, try to do the job using LESS bits.

Silicone is used to fit together bits that don't fit together properly.

Handbasin wastes need silicone in Thai - as they are the old fashioned type.

Try to find bits that do fit together well & avoid doing with umpteen pieces what can be done with fewer.

It's difficult in Thai, but Global is good, as others have pointed out. The language, & the total lack of knowledgeable assistants does'nt help.

Plumbers' mait is something I have not used for many years - Thai's seem to use grout to do thir bodging.

God - sorry - 2 replies - the computer lost the first reply, or so it seemed, thus the 2 replies.

Edited by fridgemagnet

Sorry I come from the old school and the putty is easy to work and clean up after. I find using silicone based stuff is messy and unless you need to use a lot then you waste a tube for the small jobs. You can use as much putty as you need and put the excess back in the can for another time.

I will most likely make a small batch using modelers clay.

It needs to be waterproof - thus the oilpaint in swedish putty. Try it - good stuff, easy to make - but what do you need to do?

Generally, being lazy, and liking to keep clean, I use PTFE tape. You can wind on copious quantities to make gaskets, etc. It's so cheap you can use a whole roll for one thing.....

In my '2 replies" post I mentioned that Thais used tile grout to do their bodging. Grout (portland white cement) is waterproof, and should do what you want.

and yes, I am a plumber, with many bits of proper paper to my name, and some 40 years experience.

Edited by fridgemagnet