Music Recording In Chiang Rai?

brahmburgers

Is there anyone reading this who can assist me with recording some music?

I want to do some band songs. I play all the instruments plus vocals, so basically need someone to man the controls (computer or mixing board) while we record one track at a time. We can mix the tracks together, or I could possibly take it elsewhere to do mixing.

Am finding it difficult to find a place to lay down some tracks here in Chiang Rai. Am willing to pay.

Am an experienced studio musician. I've found two little studios local, both in Din Daeng, west of downtown. They're reasonably priced, one at bt.400/hr, the other at bt.500, but their organization leaves much to be desired. The 400 bt. place has made, and then broken several scheduled appointments. I think they're intimidated by a farang, but are too shy to say so. Last time I went in there, they said they could possibly work with me, but couldn't record any live drum tracks - only digital drums. I asked why, as they have a full trap set in the studio, but they appeared to just put up roadblocks, so I've been trying to book an appointment with the other, 500 bt./hr place. They're a bit more on the ball, though their schedule of being open changes, depending on who answers the phone. I've spoken with 3 different folks there, and each has a different story re; their time availability. Currently their 2 main people are away in Phuket for a week, so that partially explains the mixed messages.

Not surprisingly, only one of the half dozen people I've spoken with (in this regard) speak any English. I speak some Thai, but when they hear me speak a few words, they start rattling on as if I'm fluent (long timers in Thailand know what I mean). I'm nowhere near fluent, but that realization doesn't dissuade them from speaking Thai to me at a mile a minute.

Edited by brahmburgers

Tried By Heart Music today. Complete let down.

First saw a man who acted like he was in charge. When he started to understand what I requesting, he shook his head no, mai dai.

When I rephrased my request, he went to get a young woman.

I again went through the littany of words and phrase to try to convey what I was seeking (music, recording, studio, etc. in English and Thai)

After every phrase, she looked at me askew and slightly dumfounded.

A little while later, after still saying nothing, she asked me a question. "what you want?" I again went through the carousel of requests. I knew that she knew the whole time exactly what I wanted to do: to pay someone make some simple recordings of songs. But she acted dumb because (perhaps) she was thinking how to avoid dealing with a farang. Then she went upstairs and spoke with her 'husband.' Awhile later she came back and said 'no'. I left without saying goodbye.

That's two rebuffs and one lukewarm reception out of 3 places that claim they're music studios. ....and I haven't yet played a note of music in any of those places, so it's not as though my style of music is upsetting them. I can't help feel a wave of xenophebia permeating the atmosphere. It's almost as if there's an unspoken taboo against farang recording music in Thailand. Very strange. I've been doing daily business with dozens of Thais all over town for a decade, and have fine rapport with nearly all I interact with. Yet, I've never experienced such odd rebuffs as I have - trying to deal with people here who claim to be in the business of recording music.

If you are computer literate, it's not really hard just using your own computer as a complete studio. The only person that could intimidate you in that case is yourself which must be a far better choice than fitta runt här and complain about options not available. Here you can get a studio in your computer for the fraction of the price anywhere else so why not take advantage?

I'm with Goski, multi track digital audio recording is very simple at home now.

Download Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's open source and free to use.

We use it for our news and weather recording as well as doing quick cuts to our world news. I've used it for recording directly and also off the mixing panel. Very easy program to learn and it works well. Downside is you can only save in Wav, MP3 or OGG but Mp3 is sort of the non commercial industry standard now anyway. You can select your bit-rate from 16 to 320 in MP3. You can record single tracks and then compile them into a multi track single and save what you are doing as a project file for later.

It also doesn't need a lot of computer power I ran it on an old win98 Pentium 1 machine with 128K of memory but it really screams on our dedicated station machine with gobs of memory and a fast 3.2mH Multi threading CPUs.

It also has lots of add on for things like tone,pitch, wha etc.

Edited by lukamar

thanks for replies. I've used audacity for an audio book, and it worked rather well - though that was one track alone.

I lost the program, but will check it out again. I've also downloaded a Sony program and another - to see which suits best.

However, there's something about being in a studio and having others turn the knobs - especially with multi-track recordings. Plus, I don't particularly want to study up on the myriad intricacies of the latest software whistles and bells.

It's rather like a person who wants to find a mountain lake to go swimming in and, after asking around, people recommend constructing his own swimming pool and having a go at it. No offense to the responders, as they're all helpful, it's just I'm accustomed to laying tracks in studio environment. I'll try Chiang Mai, as it's a bigger city, and it's probably more likely to find a simple little studio where someone can tweak the knobs and man the on-off switches on a mixing board.

I suspect there's an unwritten knowledge, among Thais, that recording is a serious issue (rather like cutting down teak trees), so they're somewhat guarded about farang partaking of it in their country. Perhaps they're worried I'll record some sort of inflamatory oratory or some music that too non-Thai, I don't know. Maybe it threatens their opinions of their institutions on some subtle levels. If not, why are they acting strange when I inquire about using their services. If I go to window maker and make a request, no problem. We discuss it, he takes measurements perhaps with a diagram, and a week later I have my windows. If I want my car fixed, I go to the guy best suited for the job. Yet, when I want to put some music on a CD, the attitude (of the service people) goes all pear shaped. I'm still miffed.

I do know that the relationship between recording technicians and musicians can be special, and it's important to have rapport. Good musicians (and techies) take such things seriously when looking for someone to work with, as it's rather like a relationship where two groups of people are interacting for a short time, in order to produce something creative.

i understand the need for a professional recording studio - it is the best way.

however like others have said you can get very good results from a home setup with the technology these days.

you can pick up a USB condenser microphone for about 6000 baht , no need for phantom power amp thingi, just hook it up to audacity software or whatever else and go from there.

I know nothing about music, recording, studios etc BUT there was a guy living here 4-5 years ago, musician and he said that Chiang Rai was wellknown for their studio(s) for recording music and that many Thai band came up here for their work in the studio.

Where, I don´t know but what I can recall it was on the Old Chiang Mai-road a couple of clicks away.... He spent a lot of time there. And his knowledge of the Thai language was even worse than mine and I can hardly order a beer in Thai!

:D:D:)

A thai Guy used to do live music on a friday at our local place. unfortunately its closed down but he did tell me he recorded music as a day Job.

I could have got it wrong I suppose but I do suspect there will be someone in chiang Rai who is attempting to run a recording studio even if on an amateur level.

There are a few places in town that have Live bands; lots of wanabee superstars here as everywhere. Its likely these people will know someone.

Your going to need someone to interpret for you, don't want them thinking your trying to sign them to your label or something :)

Brahmburgers, hmm, thinking about your problem after I went to bed, too late, and then I thought of Sam in Cats Bar. He might be the one that can guide you to someone that knows someone that knows where to find a studio !

There have now and then been musicians and wannabees playing in Cats Bar and I remember some very good Thai guys but that is 6-7 years ago.

Well, I don´t know, haven´t been in that bar the last 5 years!

:D:):D

Yet, when I want to put some music on a CD, the attitude (of the service people) goes all pear shaped. I'm still miffed.

Maybe they just didn't want to get involved with someone with whom they can't communicate easily. What's wrong with that?

"Hey, Dude. I got some chores needs doing over at the house. You want a day's work?"

"No."

"You dirty rotten pear-shaped little $%#@*&%, I'm a FARANG!"

I'm with those who have suggested going with your own home digital recording studio.

Advantages:

- You can do multitracks.

- Add some nice effects.

- Do your own mixing.

- Record on your own time whenever the mood hits you or you feel inspired.

You'll need to add your own mic and instruments.

You'll also need space that's fairly quiet and won't disturb neighbors.

Not sure how available the following are in Thailand.

Boss BR-1600CD

Pretty much ready to go right out of the box. 16 tracks with up to 256 virtual tracks. 40GB hard drive. Built-in R/RW drive to cut your own CDs. This one runs around US$1200, but can be found much cheaper on EBay.

http://www.bossus.com/gear/productdetails.php?ProductId=574

Korg D3200

Also ready to use out of the box, although it's more for the technical minded in my opinion. Still, 32 tracks, records up to 272 tracks via 8 v-tracks per track, 80GB hard drive. Pricewise, around US$1600 (I think). Again, you can find them cheaper on EBay.

http://www.korg.com/product.aspx?&pd=223

Digidesign Mbox 2

These differ from those above in that it's based on using your computer. A few models to choose from: Mbox 2 Mini (USB based), Mbox 2 (USB based & MIDI interface), MBox 2 Pro (FireWire based). I'm thinking about getting the Mbox 2 Pro Factory. Don't bother with the Mbox 2 Micro, it's not what you'd want. Install all the software on your computer. Can lay down multiple tracks. Plug your mics and instruments in. You'll need to cut CDs with your own computer, but I think it includes software to do the job easier.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php...ox&go=Go%21

There's plenty of digital recording software around, but they don't include the hardware you can plug into, so that's something you'd need to add. And you'd want to be sure the software is compatible with your computer's sound cards, etc.

Overall drawbacks compared to Thai recording studios you've looked at:

- Probably more expensive than the studios you've looked at, but that all depends on how much recording time you'd ultimately use (especially if you need more than one take).

- You'll need some time playing around with these tools. Fortunately, there are forums, as well as a variety of reading material and videos that can be helpful.

Edited by AmeriThai

Yah yah! Listen to track number two on this link. You know who the man is who slapped the bass, dealt with the badboy yardies, rammed the rhymes, stole the treats and licked the grandma. Keep complaining, doesn't help.

This is what I did 12 or more years ago in my boy room in a cellar without anything but my computer and racks. No studio. Still works.

http://www.myspace.com/goskihandle

Yah yah! Listen to track number two on this link.

This is what I did 12 or more years ago in my boy room in a cellar without anything but my computer and racks. No studio. Still works.

I was able to hear track two. Sounds like techno jazz. Nice work! I agree that impressive recordings can be made at home with a computer and racks without needing to go to a studio to have it done. That's not to say there are no advantages to using a studio, but technology today has certainly made it a lot easier for anyone to make some great sounding recordings.

and licked the grandma.

<deleted>, isn´t that a little bit sick?

The link is not working anyway, probably myspace don´t want to have anything to do with sick things like that !

Brrrr!!!!

:D:D:D

Sven , If its not his own Grandma then its Ok I guess :D Don't judge him , Live & let Live :)

It would be a grandma if it was a <deleted> in your age group!

First, I don´t know what a <deleted> is and if that is something connected to your grandma, I don´t want you to tell me!

Second, maybe talking for most guys in my age, we are interested in younger ladies, not older ! :)

Only time I´ve been interested in older ladies was when I was 17 and met this 23 year old lady from Finland. She gave me some good, good lessons a couple of times! Never forget her ! :D

:D:D:D

What makes you think you will have better luck in Chiang Mai if your attitude is that Thais are against farangs " laying down tracks" in Thailand

Brahms, looks like you will have to settle for being a one man band.

....then I thought of Sam in Cats Bar. He might be the one that can guide you to someone that knows someone that knows where to find a studio !

There have now and then been musicians and wannabees playing in Cats Bar and I remember some very good Thai guys but that is 6-7 years ago.

I jammed at Sams 6-7 years ago. Sam is a buddy and I asked him earlier. He mentioned asking at the music store by the old bus station. Did that. got a tel# that didn't work.

Update from BB: the first place "D" doesn't want to work with farang. They finally admitted as much after cancelling several appointments at the last minute. Still haven't played a note in a studio in C.Rai.

The 500 baht/hr place (near Din Daeng) says they're booked solid for August with gov't job. The lady in charge says she knows of another studio, but doesn't know the name, the tel# or the address. "somewhere near old airport"

I fell like a kicker who's been iced. Was ready to lay down some fun tracks, but some of the steam has gone out of my locomotive. For those who surmise it might have been a crappy attitude, let me say I've been completely level headed with everyone I've spoken to. Same as I would be if ordering windows for a construction job. Essentially, "hello, do you have music studio? How much do you charge? Can I make an appointment, ......etc.

In my former town in northern California, about 1/20th the size of C.Rai, there were dozens of independent little studios (and a few larger ones). Any one of which would be glad to get some added business, and possibly have some fun in the process. Thus far, in Chiang Rai, the responses have been "duhhhh, don't know, maybe yes, maybe no, can't say why, not know, where you from, .....along with long stretches of staccato Thai....." and such one expects.

I fell like a kicker who's been iced. Was ready to lay down some fun tracks, but some of the steam has gone out of my locomotive.

In my former town in northern California, about 1/20th the size of C.Rai, there were dozens of independent little studios (and a few larger ones). Any one of which would be glad to get some added business, and possibly have some fun in the process.

Since you're able to play all the instruments and and vocals, and have done some jamming, I presume you have more than a passing interest in music to be concerned that a little steam has gone out of your locomotive because some of the local studios are busy, not interested, etc. That should be all the more incentive to have your own recorder.

Yeah, in the words of a proper preacher-a! I will tell you need to lay down thoze trakkz of yours pretty fast-a! No Jay Leno halfwit boogaloo but proper soul-a a music aaaah.

Get your groove goin while the blood is flowin, hit some lame slapping rrrriiddmz on a beat hittin machine. Spank the monkey-a, ooooh yes.

Blow the flute and get cute you are going to rock Chiang Rai with your beatz-a! Out of the stickz! With the chickz-a! Be an American! Hoooyaaah!

I'm glad to report my luck has turned.

In spite of getting rebuffed several times by the little D-5 studio, I persisted with asking for a time slot. 2 days ago, I drove over to do so again, even my Thai g.f. wouldn't get out of the car to go in with me to talk to them - she being sure I'd be rebuffed for the 6th time.

After sitting in their office for what felt like a half hour (actually 10 minutes) with both the guys sitting with their backs towards me, I was finally able to get them to open up enough to give me a slot. So I went in this afternoon (5 hours ago) and spent 2 hours putting down the bass lines to 6 songs. Three were covers of very obscure oldies and 3 were originals of mine. The technician was actually grinning much of the time. Not sure why, but it's taken as a positive sign. Am going there again in 2 days to lay some more tracks.

Don't yet have a title for my CD. Might call it the Stoning Rolls or the Graceful Dead (ok, I can hear the groans from here). ....though likely will not use a knock-off name.

• 2 weeks later...

I want to do some band songs. I play all the instruments plus vocals, so basically need someone to man the controls (computer or mixing board) while we record one track at a time. We can mix the tracks together, or I could possibly take it elsewhere to do mixing.

Am finding it difficult to find a place to lay down some tracks here in Chiang Rai. Am willing to pay.

Am an experienced studio musician. I've found two little studios local, both in Din Daeng, west of downtown. They're reasonably priced, one at bt.400/hr, the other at bt.500, but their organization leaves much to be desired. The 400 bt. place has made, and then broken several scheduled appointments. I think they're intimidated by a farang, but are too shy to say so. Last time I went in there, they said they could possibly work with me, but couldn't record any live drum tracks - only digital drums. I asked why, as they have a full trap set in the studio, but they appeared to just put up roadblocks, so I've been trying to book an appointment with the other, 500 bt./hr place. They're a bit more on the ball, though their schedule of being open changes, depending on who answers the phone. I've spoken with 3 different folks there, and each has a different story re; their time availability. Currently their 2 main people are away in Phuket for a week, so that partially explains the mixed messages.

Not surprisingly, only one of the half dozen people I've spoken with (in this regard) speak any English. I speak some Thai, but when they hear me speak a few words, they start rattling on as if I'm fluent (long timers in Thailand know what I mean). I'm nowhere near fluent, but that realization doesn't dissuade them from speaking Thai to me at a mile a minute.

:) May I recommend "Forward Studio", Den Ha, Chiangrai ? My friend can assist you , Mr.Kong, he can speak English & be musician. His mobile phone 083-1535010 . Email: [email protected]