Fruit And Vegatable Sellers

billybobthai

In all the markets that I have been to here in Thailand, people sell either fruit or vegatables, but never both. My question is why? It seems there are many things here that are taboo and I quess this must be one of them.

exactly which markets have you visited? almost all fresh fruit markets offer plenty of both, not either or, but both veg and fruits....

have the markets changed so much in certain part of thailand, that farmers focus on selling either or, but not both....?

i could be the only ryp van winkle alive today.... lol

In all the markets that I have been to here in Thailand, people sell either fruit or vegatables, but never both. My question is why? It seems there are many things here that are taboo and I quess this must be one of them.

Thanks for the help.

-------------------------------------------------

I live up in Chaiyaphum, I did ask my wife because i really dont know at all. She just stand there and said,

-"you ask funny questions, you want to know for what? I never heard of that selling. We sell both vegatables

and fruits"

So I guess that maybe this is a matter for different parts of Thailand.

BR Glegolo :)

billybobthai

exactly which markets have you visited? almost all fresh fruit markets offer plenty of both, not either or, but both veg and fruits....

have the markets changed so much in certain part of thailand, that farmers focus on selling either or, but not both....?

Of course, all the markets sell fruit and vegetables. But the sellers sell fruit or vegetables. Guess have to ask a fruit seller why he doesn't sell veggies, and a veggie seller why he doesn't sell fruit.

Funny question ! When thinking about it (no scientific research :D ), I believe people sell what they grow, and fruits and vegetables are different "products", the formers usually grow on trees, the later in the ground, the irrigation techniques are different. It's true, when I think about it, around us people produce fruits OR vegetable but not both. Interesting question for a Monday morning :) .

lbb

nowadays, most or almost all fruits/veg sellers are no longer themselves producers of the products their sell. those were the good old days....

most fresh garden or farm produces sellers that i encounter each and every morning, 7 days a week, secure their products from middlemen who came around 2 or 3 am in the morning with their trucks loaded with produces. only a tiny percentage grow and sell produces from their own gardens.

the lorries or pickup trucks sometimes carried only veg while others carried only fruits, yet other carried whatever their individual regular customers (sellers of fruits and/or veg) ordered, together with whatever they could buy cheap from small village veg/fruits growers.

there are also lorries coming into thailand from neighborhood countries such as indonesia-malaysia carrying apples and the likes, whenever custom gates on the thai side are open for business. some days, lorries are lined up a mile long at the crossing, awaiting for agricultural inspection which enables some shrewed border inspectors and officers to become dishonest en mass to facilitate the expeditious crossing and inspection processes, thus circumventing established procedures....

most sellers of fruits and veg at the stalls that you frequent, secure their products from middle men/middle madams. the maintenance and care of their purchased require different methods. most of the time, fruits are grouped to one side and veg are grouped in a stall or two away and are manned by spouse, relatives or own children after school....

furthermore, almost all small stall sellers borrow their funds from individuals who charge interest at 1% or 2% or 3% repayable per week or before the next order would be delivered....

in summer months, these products are subject to rapid deterioration which these poor sellers will have to bear, in additional to usury.

now that we have an insight into the economic marketing system of fresh fruits and veg produces, does anyone of us who have thai wives or thai husbands have any idea or interest as to how to help these poor individual fruit/veg stall sellers so they too could become more independent...?

i am all ears friends....

Edited by nakachalet

now that we have an insight into the economic marketing system of fresh fruits and veg produces, does anyone of us who have thai wives or thai husbands have any idea or interest as to how to help these poor individual fruit/veg stall sellers so they too could become more independent...?

Work hard.

Save.

Invest wisely.

Edited by littlebigboss

billybobthai

Of course, all the markets sell fruit and vegetables. But the sellers sell fruit or vegetables. Guess have to ask a fruit seller why he doesn't sell veggies, and a veggie seller why he doesn't sell fruit.

I asked my wife. She said: Because Thailand is very hot, the veggies have to be sprinkled with water quite a lot, to keep them fresh. But fruit should not be sprinkled or touched with wet hands. 

It has nothing to do with ghosts or spirits or any religious believes, animistic or others. 

We grow more bananas than we can eat, the Missus sells the surplus to our local fruit lady for a (very) nominal fee.

Keeps everyone happy, fruit lady gets cheap fruit, the Missus contributes to keeping the home :)

crossy

i often have to pay about 25 bahts for 'one whee' (one bunch of bananas) which has about 12 bananas on it....

just how much did your missus sell your bunch of bananas to that pretty long hair young lady who charged me 25 baht?

did your missus give them to her at about 5 baht a piece or even less??? .... lol

really like to know at what price the real local producers like yourselves would charge the sellers at the stalls?

with this kind of depressive news going around, am thinking of going into agriculture full time.... lol

nakachalet. I hate to admit that I don't really know, the fruit lady sells them for 15 Baht a hand, reckon she gives the Missus 5 but I'm not sure. I'll ask later :D Even at that mark-up I doubt she makes much once she's covered the cost of the fuel for her motocy :)

We're not exactly a producer, we just have a few banana plants and I hate to see good fruit wasted, I did suggest giving them away (at 5 Baht it's almost a give away anyway) but that idea was rejected by 'er Indoors, 'have to sell' :D

I asked my wife and she told me that at some street markets as she called them the same vendor sometimes sells both fruits and veggies but at the more organized markets they have different sections for different products in other words they can sell only veggies in the veggie section and only fruits in the fruit section etc etc.