Colostomy Bags

prodriver

My 90yr old father may be ready for one, as he is loosing control over his bowels and I, as his caregiver have to do the clean-ups and the mistakes are no fun for him. What is the procedure for installing the 'valve'?? costly and painful?? and is Colostomy the next step from adult diapers or is there any method to empty your bowels if bedridden?? Bedpans don't work with him.

My 90yr old father may be ready for one, as he is loosing control over his bowels and I, as his caregiver have to do the clean-ups and the mistakes are no fun for him. What is the procedure for installing the 'valve'?? costly and painful?? and is Colostomy the next step from adult diapers or is there any method to empty your bowels if bedridden?? Bedpans don't work with him.

I don't think that it's a case of colostomy bags being the next step after one loses control of their bowels but I could be wrong. Anyway, when one is fitted with a colostomy bag one has no control over their bowel movements any longer....hence the reason for wearing one. There are no 'valves' involved by the way. I was diagnosed with rectal cancer nearly four years ago and had all my radiation, chemo and the op to remove the tumour done in Bangkok. They removed the 'tail-end' leading up to my anus and had to re-route my plumbing. An opening is made in the abdomen and the colon is redirected through to it. Had the tumour been further up the colon they could have removed the affected part and then done a reversal at a later stage but in my case there was nothing left to join up! I therefore have to wear a bag for the rest of my life.

The reason I was asking if there was anybody else here in Thailand (english speaking) is because it has fundamentally altered the way I live my life and I wanted to 'compare notes' so to speak on how they coped and what tips we could share. For instance, because of the possibility of the seal breaking I dread the thought of going on public transport so the idea of having to maybe do a visa run is a daunting thought. Luckily I meet the requirements to get one year extentions so I don't need to leave the country. However,I did return to the UK last year and I starved myself prior to and during the trip to cut down the likelihood of any 'accidents' with the bag whilst in the air. I have had some horrid experiences over the past few years, one of the worst being at the check-out at Tesco Lotus once when the seal broke and I had 'it' running down my legs! Embarrassing to say the least!!! I did see a Stoma Nurse when I was back in England and she was able to help me sort out a few things so life has improved a bit since then.

I wish you all the best with dealing with your father but I do think that it will be adult diapers for him from now on. Even if having a colostomy bag fitted was a possible route to go, at the age of 90 having major surgery would probably not be an option.