Pros And Cons Please

I have been giving some thought to starting a Mexican returant in an area where there is none for a 100 KMS. A good size farrang population, but not a tourist area.

Tu quieres Taco Bell? Maybe not the best Mexican food, but popular in America none-the-less. And since Thailand already has KFC and Pizza Hut, some surrounding countries have A&W, and China reportedly has Taco Bell already (all owned by the Yum! company) perhaps the franchising aspect is already in place. I don't think Long John Silver's would do so well here though...

http://www.yrigfp.com/

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For supply nearer to Udon, European Foodstore in Buriram do a lot of Mexican food - full range of Danitas goods (Thai company), Old el Paso, Casa Fiesta. They even do fresh guacamole year round in 500g tubs and also Jalapeno peppers. I think they stock corn tortillas, flour tortillas also aswell as El Charro corn chips ... if that's any help.

...China reportedly has Taco Bell already ...

There is indeed a Taco Bell in Shanghai. Though supposedly a genuine franchise, any resemblance to an real Taco Bell is purely coincidental. :o They don't even have tacos on the menu.

There are several Taco Bells in Singapore. Took a while to catch on, but fairly popular now.

TH

For supply nearer to Udon, European Foodstore in Buriram do a lot of Mexican food - full range of Danitas goods (Thai company), Old el Paso, Casa Fiesta. They even do  fresh guacamole year round in 500g tubs and also Jalapeno peppers. I think they stock corn tortillas, flour tortillas also aswell as El Charro corn chips ... if that's any help.

Now that is good news anyhting that keep me out of Bangkok is a great deal.

Taco Bell I don't think so, the texmex thing I think would work, even the Thias who have tried some of mine have came back for more. But the again Thia's are very polite people

I live in the land of Gringo Mexican resturants, Southern california.

In my neighborhood are dozens of places , but most locals stick with the few they know and like ,

My take , if this is going to be a big dollar deal, bring a cook from SoCal , set him up on a 30 day vacation and let him teach your workers.

He can taste whats available here and see if its right,

Buy sauses in 5 gallon cans from USA, the sause is what makes it , get red and green sauses,

You can buy a hand tortia press (sorry bad spelling day) in california for less than $20 , is that what you are making ?

there are really only a handfull of ingrediances just thrown together in diffurent ways....

I live in the land of Gringo Mexican resturants, Southern california.

In my neighborhood are dozens of places , but most locals stick with the few they know and like ,

My take , if this is going to be a big dollar deal, bring a cook from SoCal , set him up on a 30 day vacation and let him teach your workers.

He can taste whats available here and see if its right,

Buy sauses in 5 gallon cans from USA, the sause is what makes it , get red and green sauses,

You can buy a hand tortia press (sorry bad spelling day) in california for less than $20 , is that what you are making ?

there are really only a handfull of ingrediances just thrown together in diffurent ways....

In case you are unaware ... that 30 day courtesy permit on arrival does not permit any form of work ( paid or unpaid )

Then here is your first order -- do it well!

2 Ceviche tostadas

3 fish tacos

side of Guacamole, tortillas & sour cream

Salsa rojo & Salsa picante, mucha salsa por favor

2 carne asada burritos con todo

Pescado especial de Vera Cruz

2 Dos Equis & 1 Negra Modello .. beers

an unopened, original bottle of Mescal with the seal of authenticity of the "House of Mescal" in Oaxaca, Mexico.

A Mariachi band to play my favorites while my TG & I are dining.

Cafe con leche to conclude

Muchas Gracias Senor; nos vemos en Udon. Hasta luego! :o

:D

Then here is your first order -- do it well!

2  Ceviche tostadas

3 fish tacos

side of Guacamole,  tortillas & sour cream

Salsa rojo & Salsa picante, mucha salsa por favor

2 carne asada burritos con todo

Pescado especial de Vera Cruz

2 Dos Equis & 1 Negra Modello .. beers

an unopened, original bottle of Mescal with the seal of authenticity of the "House of Mescal" in Oaxaca, Mexico.

A Mariachi band to play my favorites while my TG & I are dining.

Cafe con leche to conclude

Muchas Gracias Senor; nos vemos en Udon.  Hasta luego!  :o

What no flam, por nada

Coming from California, I also think a Mexican restaurant would be difficult to run profitably here. It would have to be a pure marketing thing, i.e. some Mexican imagery while more or less remaining Thai food. (In other words, exactly what Taco Bell is to Americans). It's hard enough finding Americans who agree on what Mexican food is, ranging from Baja style or Southwestern grilled items to greasy mush made from various combinations of cheese and beans. A fair number of people think they like salsa and guacamole, but don't even try to get them to eat interesting chiles or real took-two-days mole.

I have noticed many Thais take a very schematic approach to food, for example considering some stir-fried noodles and ketchup to be the same as spaghetti bolognese. Perhaps because they expect this, they will not bother tasting it before trying to manufacture a new flavor out of a cupboard full of spices and additives... so I guess a richly developed sauce in some authentic Mexican food might go underappreciated. I would imagine a family-style, fajitas type of presentation with lots of different salsas, chilis, and fresh herbs might go over better. The general distaste for cheese in Asia also trims out a number of Mexican dishes.

It's taken me some time to understand it, but despite the presence of certain strong flavors, Thai food can be very simple and even bland! I finally understand what was meant when some Thais told me that Thai people in general do not like Indian food because "it is too spicy." I think Mexican food falls somewhere in between.

Coming from California, I also think a Mexican restaurant would be difficult to run profitably here. It would have to be a pure marketing thing, i.e. some Mexican imagery while more or less remaining Thai food. (In other words, exactly what Taco Bell is to Americans). It's hard enough finding Americans who agree on what Mexican food is, ranging from Baja style or Southwestern grilled items to greasy mush made from various combinations of cheese and beans. A fair number of people think they like salsa and guacamole, but don't even try to get them to eat interesting chiles or real took-two-days mole.

I have noticed many Thais take a very schematic approach to food, for example considering some stir-fried noodles and ketchup to be the same as spaghetti bolognese. Perhaps because they expect this, they will not bother tasting it before trying to manufacture a new flavor out of a cupboard full of spices and additives... so I guess a richly developed sauce in some authentic Mexican food might go underappreciated. I would imagine a family-style, fajitas type of presentation with lots of different salsas, chilis, and fresh herbs might go over better. The general distaste for cheese in Asia also trims out a number of Mexican dishes.

It's taken me some time to understand it, but despite the presence of certain strong flavors, Thai food can be very simple and even bland! I finally understand what was meant when some Thais told me that Thai people in general do not like Indian food because "it is too spicy." I think Mexican food falls somewhere in between.

Good thought in that, but I think one of the biggest hurdle would be to get a Thai to even try it, no I believe farrangs would be the main consumer and that might be limited to only those from the west coast of America. Us California guys will travel for good Carne Asada.

>>>>>> Us California guys will travel for good Carne Asada. <<<<<<<

You better believe it! We'd go far indeed and count, all the way to 6 -- if we had to! :o

Empezaremos con las fiesta, senor! Tengo mucha hambre y la mujer quiere eschuchar la musica de Mexico en una cantina fina. :D

Well the one in soi7 pattaya never looks busy.

Thais wont eat the stuff either.

How many Californian Expats in Los....not enough to support it I would suggest.

I love Mexican food but it;s rare to find a Thai that does so the restaurant would have to have a good farang population in the vicinity.

No, it just needs me -- I'll pay double and eat twice a day for at least a year, hehehehe. :o:D

Edited by snoophound

Well the one in soi7 pattaya never looks busy.

Thais wont eat the stuff either.

How many Californian Expats in Los....not enough to support it I would suggest.

I love Mexican food but it;s rare to find a Thai that does so the restaurant would have to have a good farang population in the vicinity.

No, it just needs me -- I'll pay double and eat twice a day for at least a year, hehehehe. :o:D

I've tried that one close but not good enough to rate a return, They seem to have a good operation from the little I saw. However the food is much different then what I am used to for Mexican food. What was missing the corn tortilla as usual, not all mexican food can be made with flour tortillas. That in itself makes me a bit gun shy, because if it doesn't come out right the Califonia guys won't be coming back either.

Wwhenever I feel the need for Mexican, I drive up to Don Sak, hop on the Ferry to Samui and head for Chaweng, the Mexican restaurant there is not bad at all,

in fact that's where I am going for my birthday this Saturday. :o

Ray, a small fish Taco place to start with; like a pilot project. Duplicate the formula by taking a trip to TJ -- radishes, onions, cilantro, etc., etc., its got to be done as you see it done there -- don't change a thing.

A plate of 3 tacos, hit farangs for 150-200 Baht; Thais for 60 Baht hehehehehe :o

Ray, a small fish Taco place to start with; like a pilot project.  Duplicate the formula by taking a trip to TJ -- radishes, onions, cilantro, etc., etc., its  got to be done  as you see it done there -- don't change a thing. 

A plate of 3 tacos, hit farangs for 150-200 Baht; Thais for 60 Baht  hehehehehe  :o

If your talking about T.J. Mexico, the reseach is done Rosarito was one of my favorite places almost retired there, but I didn't because I would weigh 400Lbs by now LOL

Ray, a small fish Taco place to start with; like a pilot project.  Duplicate the formula by taking a trip to TJ -- radishes, onions, cilantro, etc., etc., its  got to be done  as you see it done there -- don't change a thing. 

A plate of 3 tacos, hit farangs for 150-200 Baht; Thais for 60 Baht  hehehehehe  :o

If your talking about T.J. Mexico, the reseach is done Rosarito was one of my favorite places almost retired there, but I didn't because I would weigh 400Lbs by now LOL

I am indeed -- Tijuana!! Rosarito, yeah; brings back nice memories.

You're going to do just fine, Ray. Make your preparations and then take the plunge decisively.

:D:D

Rosarita is between TJ and Ensanada,

was a small sleepy fishing village 20 years ago.....

you can guess the ret of the story,

I still say bring a Mexican cook for a month ,

he will know the right taste and if you can substute

as far as a "work " visa

"We dont need no stinking Visas " we are on holiday helping a friend ......

good luck

Rosarita is between TJ and Ensanada,

Used to surf there 40 years ago. Great food. Get a barbecued fish, a peso of tortillas, Tecate and lime and chow down. Real food.

and if you're single, una mujer mexicana y fina despues de la cena, senor! :o

Yes some real cuties, but the cost w getting very high towards my retirement, even thought about seeting up a place a working part time in the states. Problem was two fold to get my assignments I needed a local number from the states, couldn't figure that one out. Also the border crossing time.

yahs, yahs...I used to surf at Rosarito too. The toilet in the lobby of the Rosarito Beach Hotel has the most magnificent tile work I have ever seen...

Then head up north a bit and then east on 2 (especially at night :o ), hit 15 (if I remember right?) and head south to Guadalajara -- driving is where its at, not taking the plane. Then check out the tiles there , amigo!

Last night in San Antonio, my daughter took us to the Blanco Cafe on Blanco Road. Greasy spoon, great greasy food. A plate of refried beans not solid but not liquid, beef enchilads on red corn tortillas, and a crispy beef taco - $4.99 dinner special. I don't even intend to try to find anything half that good in Asia.

Last night in San Antonio, my daughter took us to the Blanco Cafe on Blanco Road.  Greasy spoon, great greasy food.  A plate of refried beans not solid but not liquid, beef enchilads on red corn tortillas, and a crispy beef taco - $4.99 dinner special.  I don't even intend to try to find anything half that good in Asia.

Lucky guy! :o

And how was the salsa?