Do I Have A Chance In Thailand?

Don't mind these naysayers like TQ, Lonestar.

You're in your early 20's?  Man, you can't <deleted> up your life at that age!

I'd say "go for it"!  Get one of those teaching certificates as see how you make out! :D

Best of luck. :D

It's pretty rare that I agree with Boonster, but here I have to. The guy is only in his early twenties. Just go for it. So what if you have no experience in a third world country or higher academic credentials. Where is the spirit of youth and adventure? What a pathetic bunch of woosies you lot are! As long as he stays away from illegal drugs, has confidence in himself and some money saved up to last awhile, he will do fine. <deleted>? Even if he blows 2 or 3 years, big deal; he can return home, get a job, go to school and have some good EXPERIENCE in a 'third world' country (if that's what you really think Thailand is). The whole fear of the illegal teaching thing is so overblown that it's rediculous. Like Ken said: There are lots of legitimate credentialed teachers who are unable to get work permits, but teach anyway. Just don't piss people off. How many Pakistani peanut vendors have work permits :o ? Good luck to you man. :D

Actually I'd say it's very easy to earn 30,000 Baht a month plus, with minimal qualifications (possibly none at all). I know many people earning 50k+ with no degree etc. It's not quite as bad as people make out IMO! If you're willing to put in the hours, and can 'sell' yourself well there's a fair bit of money to be made teaching IME!

Someone who actually is a real teacher and knows what is going on in reality.

I just don't understand what this experience would do for a young person.

Are you serious here? The best life experiences I have ever had were from travel to foreign countries and living on my own. It can be very enlightening for a young person to do this. What did I learn in a classroom? Well, the War of 1812 happened in 1812, right? (just being a smart ass. Education is important :o )

Lonestar, it's hard to give advice when we don't know much about your situation.

Did you complete four years of high school and receive a diploma? Or a GED, or did you just drop out.

You say you're in the finance industry. Are you a bank teller, a loan officer, or the bank janitor?

What do you want to do for work if you come to Thailand? The obvious occupation is to teach English. Can you do that?

Funds, money. Since you're in the finance industry, do you have $5,000 of your own funds in available negotiable instruments to risk in Thailand? Do you have bills back home that will remain unpaid?

Will you come alone? Will you be able to take a TEFL course back home for at least US$1,900 or one in Thailand for at least $1,250?

In what languages are you fluent?

Thanks, Lonestar - maybe we can give you more informed answers if you can tell us those things.

Hey, Rainman, you're more accomplished or precocious than "Doogie Howser, M.D."!

A big thanks to all who have provided further advice. So, we have the naysayers camp saying even the most qualified teachers will be lucky to make 30,000 Baht a month, and then we have the 'yes folks' saying that, on the contrary, 50K a month is very much attainable, even for people without degrees. What's the scoop?

Thaiquila, as much as I appreciate you telling me what the reality is, I think this can be conveyed in more civil terms.

PeaceBlondie, as regards your question.

Yours truly has a high school diploma (i.e. I graduated high school; just decided not to proceed to university); I certainly do have an available $5,000; I work as an assistant to a fund manager at an investment firm, have zero debt, single (will arrive alone), speak English and another language which will be of absolutely no use in Thailand, or anywhere else in SE Asia for that matter.

Work-wise, I am open to anything in Thailand (as long as it's legal and doesn't involve selling peanuts at a street stall). While doing the same type of work in Bangkok as I am doing in Farangland will be utopia, I realize this is unrealistic, so I believe English teaching is the only viable option. Not sure about taking the TEFL.

Does this help?

Thanks,

LoneStar

I just don't understand what this experience would do for a young person.

Are you serious here? The best life experiences I have ever had were from travel to foreign countries and living on my own. It can be very enlightening for a young person to do this. What did I learn in a classroom? Well, the War of 1812 happened in 1812, right? (just being a smart ass. Education is important :o )

Not entirely serious.

I have never regretted any of my time or money spent travelling around the world.

I do question whether teaching English (probably illegally) in Thailand for peanuts is the best way to have these broadening experiences.

If a young person has some money, why not take a long around the world budget trip, or seriously, if they interested, join the peace corps.

I have met older people who are peace corps veterans and they seem to have been transformed in a very positive way from the experience.

I think it is much rarer to find an older person who say the same thing about teaching English in Thailand (which I understand is often incredibly thankless and frustrating).

BTW, Lonestar, you sound like a good person and intelligent too. Best of luck to you whatever you decide.

Note: It is possible to get fully legal employment in Indonesia as an English teacher for a native English speaker without a degree. It pays a little better than Thailand, and if you don't get beheaded, you would contribute something to world understanding between the West and the Muslim world.

Edited by Thaiquila

Note: It is possible to get fully legal employment in Indonesia as an English teacher for a native English speaker without a degree. It pays a little better than Thailand.

This is true and a very good suggestion. Indonesia is a beautiful country with very kind, warm hearted people :o . They also have a very strong desire to learn and will appreciate your efforts. Many young Indonesians offer to take tourists on guided tours for free; just so they have an opportunity to practice their English skills.

I asked the teacher salary question to a friend of mine. He refered me to a link;

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/teaching.html

I took the following out of the Stickman article;

School Hourly Rate Monthly Salary

AUA 220 - 315 N/A

Bell ? 34,100 - 48,100

Bits 500 - 800 35,000 - 40,000

British American 200 - 230 27,000 +

British Council ? 35,000 +

Cambridge 200 - 950 23,500 - 45,000 +

ECC 200 + 23,000 +

IDP 409 - 727 37,000 - 55,000 +

Elite 300 - 400 25,000 - 40,000

Go Chulalongkorn 700 45,000

Ideal 300 30,000 - 37,000

Inlingua 200 - 500 30,000 +

IEG 300 - 500 28,000 - 37,000

Kings College ? 31,000 +

MELS 600 + N/A

New Cambridge 550 - 750 40,000 - 64,000

Plan-It 500 - 800 40,000 - 50,000

Siam Computer 200 - 350 23,000 - 30,000+

Text'n'Talk 350 - 450 N/A

TS Education 300 - 400 35,000 - 40,000

Vektor Multimedia 500 25,000 - 45,000

A big thanks to all who have provided further advice. So, we have the naysayers camp saying even the most qualified teachers will be lucky to make 30,000 Baht a month, and then we have the 'yes folks' saying that, on the contrary, 50K a month is very much attainable, even for people without degrees. What's the scoop?

Thaiquila, as much as I appreciate you telling me what the reality is, I think this can be conveyed in more civil terms.

Yours truly has a high school diploma (i.e. I graduated high school; just decided not to proceed to university); I certainly do have an available $5,000; I work as an assistant to a fund manager at an investment firm, have zero debt, single (will arrive alone), speak English and another language which will be of absolutely no use in Thailand, or anywhere else in SE Asia for that matter.

Work-wise, I am open to anything in Thailand (as long as it's legal and doesn't involve selling peanuts at a street stall). While doing the same type of work in Bangkok as I am doing in Farangland will be utopia, I realize this is unrealistic, so I believe English teaching is the only viable option. Not sure about taking the TEFL.

Does this help?

Thanks,

LoneStar

Thanks for the additional info, Lonestar (where'd you get that name, by the way?). Come ahead and have the time of your life. I waited too long, and have really had to drive hard and fast to make up for lost time. One of my kids has the wanderlust and has great memories to show for it already.

Zero debt and spare cash - you're ready. Oh, if you're going to teach English, a course taken in Thailand would be a great idea. Some employers would overlook the absence of a degree if you've got a recent TEFL cert. I went to TEFL course with a guy who swore he'd finished university in some state capital, but he didn't know Guadalupe from Sixth Street. Last I heard, he was still teaching in a remote province.

Does this help?

Thanks,

LoneStar

If you want to teach in Thailand have a look at this website for TEFL www.onlinetefl.com the online diploma course is 60 hours, and will cost you 350 dollars.

Good luck with what ever decision you make with your life.

Its again turning in a desperado's teachers story :o

You got finance skills, well use them, invest! Keep in mind that over the last 50 years only 18% of the socalled experts got it right, but then top investors got it 35% right and that was more than ample to cut the losses :D

With a teachers salary of bt25-30k, you will never make it, have you ever met rich ones?

So just go out and do it, its a global deal, make money offshore in hard currency and live in Thailand like a king. :D

Lonestar, Why Thailand in particular? There are plenty of other countries in the world. It may be possible to get something in your present field in another country, if you try. Many other Asian countries are not so anal about foreigners working in areas other than teaching and don't make such a meal of the visas/work permits as the Thais. It may not be so difficult to find something in the financial sector elsewhere in the region, based on your experience. You say you have another language? You could also try a country or countries where that language is spoken.

Living and working overseas can be a great experience. IMHO, teaching English in Thailand often isn't.

Edited by Rumpole

Rumpole -- that is largely what I have been trying to say.

Overseas experience and travel, yes.

Teaching English in Thailand, questionable, except for people who are dedicated to the profession of TEACHING.

However, Thailand isn't the only country which is hung up on academic credentials. So it might be easier said than done to find a position in finance internationally.

Wow, there is no way I was banking on such a big number of very responses. My apologies for not listing you all individually, but there are just too many people to thank.

Rumpole, I have always been interested in the Far East and SE Asia, and in 2004, I have gone over and visited Thailand. Ever since, I made it a goal to move to the region. There is absolutely no chance in ###### that any sane employer would offer me a job, be it Singapore, HK, or Tokyo. I simply do not have the educational credentials that make me more marketable than the locals. It's not like I am a star hedge fund manager with a 20% return per annum track record over here.

To Thaiquila, thank you for the advice re Indonesia. Exciting as it sounds, I like my head exactly where it is right now. :o

To cut to the chase, I have decided to stay home for a while. From the responses gathered, following through my plan will be reckless, to say the least. The move to SE Asia will remain a long-term goal, but it is simply not worth it at this point.

Again, a big thanks to all the contributors. You've been wonderful.

Lone Star

P.S. Peaceblondie, the username is derived from the unofficial name of a state that I call home.

Rumpole -- that is largely what I have been trying to say.

Overseas experience and travel, yes.

Teaching English in Thailand, questionable, except for people who are dedicated to the profession of TEACHING.

I completely agree with your sentiments, Thaiquila. However, I am not entirely convinced that the teaching "experience" in Thailand is necessarily any better for the dedicated professional, except perhaps at the handful of real international schools. I am a professional educator with more than 20 years international experience, and I loathed almost every minute of my time in Thailand (the working environment, not the country). I have never, either before or since, encountered employers who demand so much, yet offer so little in return.

Edited by Rumpole

I have never, either before or since,  encountered employers who demand so much, yet offer so little in return.

Unfortunately this is quite true and one of the reasons why so many people teaching in Thailand use teaching as a stepping stone to pay the bills while they seek out better opportunities. :o Teaching may be low paying, but it can be quite stable work if a good school and privates can be found. A good Farang friend of mine, working for a Thai consulting company as a type of resume writing headhunter, recently was laid off after three years. They just found a Thai who could do the work and for less.

Edited by mbkudu